1 image per km2 globally

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Hi all;

Since I watched the project Geograph Britain[1] long time ago, I dreamed with a global version. I have been playing with maps (mostly Google Maps) in the past years, but now that I'm migrating my tools to Wikimedia Labs, I started to read about OpenStreetMap and Leaflet.

I have made some tests and coded a pretty alpha version of the concept.[2] It shows circles of 500m radius for every geolocated image on Commons (there are about 4 million). Not all are shown at the same time, but only 10,000 per zoom level. So you only have to make zoom on your city or in the search box.

Some examples:
So, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about the idea of scaling Wikimedia Commons into a project with at least 1 image per km2 globally.

The code is in GitHub[3] and it is forked merging 2 examples of the thousands of Leaflet library examples available. Currently the code is pretty simple and you can help to improve it.

Regards

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Daniel Schwen-2
While increasing our worldwide image coverage is certainly desirable,
I think that the arbitrary metric of defining "coverage" as one image
per km^2 is not very useful at best and misleading at worst.
The necessary image density strongly depends on local features. Having
one image per km^2 in a City center (or even a single image inside a
building) is not nearly enough. On the other hand requiring one image
per km^2 in a desolate desert, or even a forrest is an unrealistic
requirement that will not add much value to commons.

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> Since I watched the project Geograph Britain[1] long time ago, I dreamed
> with a global version. I have been playing with maps (mostly Google Maps) in
> the past years, but now that I'm migrating my tools to Wikimedia Labs, I
> started to read about OpenStreetMap and Leaflet.
>
> I have made some tests and coded a pretty alpha version of the concept.[2]
> It shows circles of 500m radius for every geolocated image on Commons (there
> are about 4 million). Not all are shown at the same time, but only 10,000
> per zoom level. So you only have to make zoom on your city or in the search
> box.
>
> Some examples:
> * Barcelona http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#12/41.3927/2.1407
> * Moscow http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#10/55.7252/37.6290
> * Montevideo http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#11/-34.8200/-56.2269
>
> So, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about the idea of
> scaling Wikimedia Commons into a project with at least 1 image per km2
> globally.
>
> The code is in GitHub[3] and it is forked merging 2 examples of the
> thousands of Leaflet library examples available. Currently the code is
> pretty simple and you can help to improve it.
>
> Regards
>
> [1] http://www.geograph.org.uk/
> [2] http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/
> [3] https://github.com/emijrp/commons-coverage

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

David Gerard-2
It's one approach. Another would be to scale with population density.

On 19 June 2014 19:44, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While increasing our worldwide image coverage is certainly desirable,
> I think that the arbitrary metric of defining "coverage" as one image
> per km^2 is not very useful at best and misleading at worst.
> The necessary image density strongly depends on local features. Having
> one image per km^2 in a City center (or even a single image inside a
> building) is not nearly enough. On the other hand requiring one image
> per km^2 in a desolate desert, or even a forrest is an unrealistic
> requirement that will not add much value to commons.
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Since I watched the project Geograph Britain[1] long time ago, I dreamed
>> with a global version. I have been playing with maps (mostly Google Maps) in
>> the past years, but now that I'm migrating my tools to Wikimedia Labs, I
>> started to read about OpenStreetMap and Leaflet.
>>
>> I have made some tests and coded a pretty alpha version of the concept.[2]
>> It shows circles of 500m radius for every geolocated image on Commons (there
>> are about 4 million). Not all are shown at the same time, but only 10,000
>> per zoom level. So you only have to make zoom on your city or in the search
>> box.
>>
>> Some examples:
>> * Barcelona http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#12/41.3927/2.1407
>> * Moscow http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#10/55.7252/37.6290
>> * Montevideo http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#11/-34.8200/-56.2269
>>
>> So, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about the idea of
>> scaling Wikimedia Commons into a project with at least 1 image per km2
>> globally.
>>
>> The code is in GitHub[3] and it is forked merging 2 examples of the
>> thousands of Leaflet library examples available. Currently the code is
>> pretty simple and you can help to improve it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> [1] http://www.geograph.org.uk/
>> [2] http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/
>> [3] https://github.com/emijrp/commons-coverage

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Ryan Kaldari-2
This is a really cool idea. Now I want to go fill in the little holes in San Francisco:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#13/37.7718/-122.4570

Thanks for sharing it (and putting it on Github). My one request would be that you provide a way to view the images themselves from the map.

Ryan Kaldari

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

metasj
Emilio - this is so beautiful!
Daniel - I beg to differ: a photo per km2 would add tremendous value
for the right people and the right uses; geograph's mission is both
inspiring and interesting.

SJ

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> While increasing our worldwide image coverage is certainly desirable,
> I think that the arbitrary metric of defining "coverage" as one image
> per km^2 is not very useful at best and misleading at worst.
> The necessary image density strongly depends on local features. Having
> one image per km^2 in a City center (or even a single image inside a
> building) is not nearly enough. On the other hand requiring one image
> per km^2 in a desolate desert, or even a forrest is an unrealistic
> requirement that will not add much value to commons.
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Since I watched the project Geograph Britain[1] long time ago, I dreamed
>> with a global version. I have been playing with maps (mostly Google Maps) in
>> the past years, but now that I'm migrating my tools to Wikimedia Labs, I
>> started to read about OpenStreetMap and Leaflet.
>>
>> I have made some tests and coded a pretty alpha version of the concept.[2]
>> It shows circles of 500m radius for every geolocated image on Commons (there
>> are about 4 million). Not all are shown at the same time, but only 10,000
>> per zoom level. So you only have to make zoom on your city or in the search
>> box.
>>
>> Some examples:
>> * Barcelona http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#12/41.3927/2.1407
>> * Moscow http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#10/55.7252/37.6290
>> * Montevideo http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#11/-34.8200/-56.2269
>>
>> So, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about the idea of
>> scaling Wikimedia Commons into a project with at least 1 image per km2
>> globally.
>>
>> The code is in GitHub[3] and it is forked merging 2 examples of the
>> thousands of Leaflet library examples available. Currently the code is
>> pretty simple and you can help to improve it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> [1] http://www.geograph.org.uk/
>> [2] http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/
>> [3] https://github.com/emijrp/commons-coverage

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

indeedous
Nice tool! But when I look at my area, the problem are not missing photographs but just that most of them are not geocoded.

indeedous

Emilio - this is so beautiful!
Daniel - I beg to differ: a photo per km2 would add tremendous value
for the right people and the right uses; geograph's mission is both
inspiring and interesting.

SJ

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Daniel Schwen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> While increasing our worldwide image coverage is certainly desirable,
> I think that the arbitrary metric of defining "coverage" as one image
> per km^2 is not very useful at best and misleading at worst.
> The necessary image density strongly depends on local features. Having
> one image per km^2 in a City center (or even a single image inside a
> building) is not nearly enough. On the other hand requiring one image
> per km^2 in a desolate desert, or even a forrest is an unrealistic
> requirement that will not add much value to commons.
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Since I watched the project Geograph Britain[1] long time ago, I dreamed
>> with a global version. I have been playing with maps (mostly Google Maps) in
>> the past years, but now that I'm migrating my tools to Wikimedia Labs, I
>> started to read about OpenStreetMap and Leaflet.
>>
>> I have made some tests and coded a pretty alpha version of the concept.[2]
>> It shows circles of 500m radius for every geolocated image on Commons (there
>> are about 4 million). Not all are shown at the same time, but only 10,000
>> per zoom level. So you only have to make zoom on your city or in the search
>> box.
>>
>> Some examples:
>> * Barcelona http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#12/41.3927/2.1407
>> * Moscow http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#10/55.7252/37.6290
>> * Montevideo http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#11/-34.8200/-56.2269
>>
>> So, I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about the idea of
>> scaling Wikimedia Commons into a project with at least 1 image per km2
>> globally.
>>
>> The code is in GitHub[3] and it is forked merging 2 examples of the
>> thousands of Leaflet library examples available. Currently the code is
>> pretty simple and you can help to improve it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> [1] http://www.geograph.org.uk/
>> [2] http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/
>> [3] https://github.com/emijrp/commons-coverage

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          <a href="tel:%2B1%20617%20529%204266" value="+16175294266">+1 617 529 4266

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Daniel Schwen-2
> Daniel - I beg to differ: a photo per km2 would add tremendous value
> for the right people and the right uses; geograph's mission is both
> inspiring and interesting.

Yeah, well, I could never warm up to geograph's brute fore approach...

Just don't use this kind of map as a "mission accomplished" indicator please.

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada

Yep, I have noted this too in my region. A feature to add coordinates to images from the map would be great, adding something like this http://tools.freeside.sk/geolocator/geolocator.html I will try it.

Emilio - this is so beautiful!
Daniel - I beg to differ: a photo per km2 would add tremendous value
for the right people and the right uses; geograph's mission is both
inspiring and interesting.

SJ

Thanks for your kind words SJ :-)

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
This is a really cool idea. Now I want to go fill in the little holes in San Francisco:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#13/37.7718/-122.4570

Thanks for sharing it (and putting it on Github). My one request would be that you provide a way to view the images themselves from the map.

Ryan Kaldari

Yes, it is a basic feature. Now the images are shown from the zoom 10.

[...]

Curious stuff I find while doing tests... A line of white dots (pictures) along dozens of km in the North of Europe  http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#7/69.071/19.709

Can you imagine what it means? :-) Zoom to solve.

[...]

Emilio, you should probably prerender low zoom overlays. As it is now
the low zoom levels are rather pointless, because the number of images
show is capped. In low zooms Great Britain should be much brighter
than the rest of the world (even if it does not say anything about
image quality of the geograph project). A heat map would actually be a
better way of visualizing this data.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Curious stuff I find while doing tests... A line of white dots (pictures)
> along dozens of km in the North of Europe
> http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#7/69.071/19.709
>
> Can you imagine what it means? :-) Zoom to solve.

>>> This is a really cool idea. Now I want to go fill in the little holes in
>>> San Francisco:
>>> http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#13/37.7718/-122.4570
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing it (and putting it on Github). My one request would be
>>> that you provide a way to view the images themselves from the map.
>>>
>>> Ryan Kaldari
>>>

>> Yes, it is a basic feature. Now the images are shown from the zoom 10.

Re: 1 image per km2 globally

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
Emilio, you should probably prerender low zoom overlays. As it is now
the low zoom levels are rather pointless, because the number of images
show is capped.

Currently it shows up 10,000 light circles. I'm thinking about adding a control bar, so you can choose how many to show, in case your browser allows more load without issues.

In low zooms Great Britain should be much brighter
than the rest of the world (even if it does not say anything about
image quality of the geograph project).

I know that, really any part of the world should be much brighter (now limited to a random sample of 10,000).

A heat map would actually be a
better way of visualizing this data.

I'm not sure of that. I like the darkness/light contrast, well defined by circles.

I have added different markers for normal, quality and feature images. I hope you like it. This tool doesn't intend to promote bad quality pictures, but showing which places need more coverage.

http://tools.wmflabs.org/commons-coverage/#10/28.2977/-16.5317