10th birthday edit drive?

Stuart West
At a meetup in San Francisco today I was thinking about next January's 10th
Birthday for Wikipedia and recent strategic planning discussions around
participation.  What about celebrating Wikipedia Day with an edit drive?  We
could aim for some stretch target (e.g. 1 million edits across all projects
over 24 hours on 15 Jan 2011, or 25 million edits during the month of
January) and use the project and geo-targeted sitenotice technology from the
fundraisers.

Seems like it could be a great way to celebrate and also get the word out
about the "anyone can edit" spirit of our projects.

-stu
[[m:User:Stu]]

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Liam Wyatt
Yeah!
There's so much we could be doing (both on-wiki and in meatspace) for the
"10th anniversary" next January. I would suggest that not only should we be
investigating activities such as that you describe to improve the content,
but also that we undertake fundraising and general outreach activities
across the world around. For example, the "spread
Firefox<http://www.spreadfirefox.com/>"
project has been a success and I'd love to see this kind of thing for
Wikipedia projected on monuments around the world on the 10th anniversary
day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nois3lab/4088072729/in/set-72157622640597827/:-)
(video of same:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8Dyhz_qbs )
And yes, as you say, it is also a very good opportunity to really utilise
the value of the geo-targeted notices if all the chapters and geographically
defined wikiprojects coordinate undertake activities simultaneously.

-Liam [[witty lama]]

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Stuart West <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At a meetup in San Francisco today I was thinking about next January's 10th
> Birthday for Wikipedia and recent strategic planning discussions around
> participation.  What about celebrating Wikipedia Day with an edit drive?
>  We
> could aim for some stretch target (e.g. 1 million edits across all projects
> over 24 hours on 15 Jan 2011, or 25 million edits during the month of
> January) and use the project and geo-targeted sitenotice technology from
> the
> fundraisers.
>
> Seems like it could be a great way to celebrate and also get the word out
> about the "anyone can edit" spirit of our projects.
>
> -stu
> [[m:User:Stu]]

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Philippe Beaudette-2
I heart this idea.

Srsly.

Can you imagine, finding places that have WP articles and projecting
the logo globe on them?

That would be an amazing public visibility thing.  In SF alone, for
instance, Grace Cathedral, Coit Tower, the Transamerica Pyramid....

On Feb 7, 2010, at 2:33 AM, Liam Wyatt wrote:

> Yeah!
> There's so much we could be doing (both on-wiki and in meatspace)
> for the
> "10th anniversary" next January. I would suggest that not only
> should we be
> investigating activities such as that you describe to improve the
> content,
> but also that we undertake fundraising and general outreach activities
> across the world around. For example, the "spread
> Firefox<http://www.spreadfirefox.com/>"
> project has been a success and I'd love to see this kind of thing for
> Wikipedia projected on monuments around the world on the 10th
> anniversary
> day:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/nois3lab/4088072729/in/set-72157622640597827/:-)
> (video of same:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8Dyhz_qbs )
> And yes, as you say, it is also a very good opportunity to really
> utilise
> the value of the geo-targeted notices if all the chapters and
> geographically
> defined wikiprojects coordinate undertake activities simultaneously.
>
> -Liam [[witty lama]]
>
> wittylama.com/blog
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Stuart West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> At a meetup in San Francisco today I was thinking about next
>> January's 10th
>> Birthday for Wikipedia and recent strategic planning discussions
>> around
>> participation.  What about celebrating Wikipedia Day with an edit
>> drive?
>> We
>> could aim for some stretch target (e.g. 1 million edits across all
>> projects
>> over 24 hours on 15 Jan 2011, or 25 million edits during the month of
>> January) and use the project and geo-targeted sitenotice technology
>> from
>> the
>> fundraisers.
>>
>> Seems like it could be a great way to celebrate and also get the
>> word out
>> about the "anyone can edit" spirit of our projects.
>>
>> -stu
>> [[m:User:Stu]]

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Facilitator, Strategy Project

mobile: 918 200-WIKI (9454)

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Ziko van Dijk
Amazing idea, Philippe! Additionally to some big things (Hagia Sophia?
the Red Square?): small Wikipedia logo stickers to put on a number of
buildings etc. in your town. (On the other hand, some people could
consider that a kind of environment unfriendly spamming.)

The 10th anniversay will be a kind of looking back, also remembering
those who have left us on the way. Some of them we are happy to be rid
of, but others - maybe the anniversay is a good occasion to direct us
to people who once tried to edit but were beaten away. Couldn't we ask
them to give Wikipedia a second chance?

Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk
NL-Silvolde

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Effe iets anders
I am not sure what the planning of the usability initiative is, but it would
be an ideal moment to publicly launch a wysiwyg editor or something and
indeed ask people to "try again" :)

Wikipedia is entering it's second decade in style - come and join us,
Wikipedia is now also editable by mortal human non-nerds!

-- Lodewijk

2010/2/8 Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]>

> Amazing idea, Philippe! Additionally to some big things (Hagia Sophia?
> the Red Square?): small Wikipedia logo stickers to put on a number of
> buildings etc. in your town. (On the other hand, some people could
> consider that a kind of environment unfriendly spamming.)
>
> The 10th anniversay will be a kind of looking back, also remembering
> those who have left us on the way. Some of them we are happy to be rid
> of, but others - maybe the anniversay is a good occasion to direct us
> to people who once tried to edit but were beaten away. Couldn't we ask
> them to give Wikipedia a second chance?
>
> Ziko
>
> 2010/2/8 Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Can you imagine, finding places that have WP articles and projecting
> > the logo globe on them?
> >
> > That would be an amazing public visibility thing.  In SF alone, for
> > instance, Grace Cathedral, Coit Tower, the Transamerica Pyramid....
>

> --
> Ziko van Dijk
> NL-Silvolde

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Casey Brown-5
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:10 AM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (On the other hand, some people could
> consider that a kind of environment unfriendly spamming.)

Decomposable stickers! ;-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Tim Landscheidt
Casey Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> (On the other hand, some people could
>> consider that a kind of environment unfriendly spamming.)

> Decomposable stickers! ;-)

At a recent local election, a party here used white spray
chalk to put their slogans on the sidewalk (or, as the oppo-
nents would see it, have them trampled on :-)). While it was
decomposable, it wasn't gone by the first rain as promised
by the campaigners. But I think Wikipedia probably has more
unanimous support :-).

  If the weather in 2011 is similar to this year's however,
it might be necessary to use black chalk in the northern he-
misphere :-).

Tim

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

phoebe ayers-3
On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Stuart West <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At a meetup in San Francisco today I was thinking about next January's 10th
> Birthday for Wikipedia and recent strategic planning discussions around
> participation.  What about celebrating Wikipedia Day with an edit drive?  We
> could aim for some stretch target (e.g. 1 million edits across all projects
> over 24 hours on 15 Jan 2011, or 25 million edits during the month of
> January) and use the project and geo-targeted sitenotice technology from the
> fundraisers.
>
> Seems like it could be a great way to celebrate and also get the word out
> about the "anyone can edit" spirit of our projects.

yes, what a fantastic event to do some concentrated outreach around! I
really like the edit drive, welcoming back editors, and usability
launch ideas. Some more ideas:

* Worldwide meetups -- next year, January 15 is a Saturday :) which
makes planning convenient. We should encourage every chapter and
meetup group, large and small, to have some sort of meetup or event on
Wikipedia Day. How many wikipedians can we have partying at once
around the world?! Or larger groups might put on bigger "wikipedia
day" events where the public is invited, talks are given, etc. Some
sharing of best practices from groups who have already done this to
groups who haven't would probably be helpful.

* make it a "month of Wikipedia" and provide materials, kits and ideas
to outside groups and newbie editors who want to participate. Other
groups do this, e.g. with the International Year of Astronomy. Ideas:
** outreach to teachers for classroom projects -- not just classroom
editing but also learning about wikipedia, using wikimedia materials
in lessons, etc.
** article referencing drive :) something I've wanted to do for a long
time -- outreach to librarians (and others) to help add references to
articles
** editing drives -- especially editing drives on smaller projects?
Maybe Google and others would considering partnering again, as they
just did for the Swahili contest.
** photography drives ("the world <3 wikipedia")

* Along with outreach to the world, this should also be a chance to
remember and celebrate the community internally, as Ziko mentions.
Maybe creating a Wikipedia timeline... bringing back old-timers to
speak... exchanging greetings from group to group... finally tracking
down willy on wheels....
(Every time I do the "this week in history" section for the Signpost I
get nostalgic -- this week, in 2005, we protected the main page of the
english wikipedia!) We should try and collectively celebrate our
amazing past as a community, too.

Does this need a planning page on meta? :)
-- phoebe

Re: 10th birthday edit drive?

Arne Klempert-2
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:48 PM, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM, Stuart West <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> At a meetup in San Francisco today I was thinking about next January's 10th
>> Birthday for Wikipedia and recent strategic planning discussions around
>> participation.  What about celebrating Wikipedia Day with an edit drive?  We
>> could aim for some stretch target (e.g. 1 million edits across all projects
>> over 24 hours on 15 Jan 2011, or 25 million edits during the month of
>> January) and use the project and geo-targeted sitenotice technology from the
>> fundraisers.
> [...]
> Does this need a planning page on meta? :)

Let's start here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Day

Arne