12 o clock deadline

Jon Davies
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_Property_Office_Consultation

Comments please on this - seems like Tom was spot on.

--
Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: 12 o clock deadline

David Gerard-2
On 21 March 2012 09:37, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_Property_Office_Consultation
> Comments please on this - seems like Tom was spot on.

Looks right to me. Has Tom got time this morning to write up something from it?

- d.

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Jon Davies
I will do it.

Quoting David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

> On 21 March 2012 09:37, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_Property_Office_Consultation
>> Comments please on this - seems like Tom was spot on.
>

> Looks right to me. Has Tom got time this morning to write up
> something from it?
>

> - d.

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Gordon Joly
Does a response need to reference the question numbers in the
consultation document?

Gordo

On 21/03/2012 10:09, Jon Davies wrote:

> I will do it.
>
> Quoting David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 21 March 2012 09:37, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_Property_Office_Consultation
>>> Comments please on this - seems like Tom was spot on.
>>

>> Looks right to me. Has Tom got time this morning to write up
>> something from it?
>>

>> - d.

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Jon Davies
There are 114 very detailed questions (reminds me of a nightmare
before finals)- we will be offering a broad brush answer.
Quoting Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

> Does a response need to reference the question numbers in the
> consultation document?
>

> Gordo
>

> On 21/03/2012 10:09, Jon Davies wrote:
>> I will do it.
>>
>> Quoting David Gerard <[hidden email]>:

>>> Looks right to me. Has Tom got time this morning to write up
>>> something from it?
>>>

>>> - d.

> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Tom Morris-5

On Mar 21, 2012 10:00 AM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 March 2012 09:37, Jon Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_Property_Office_Consultation
> > Comments please on this - seems like Tom was spot on.
>

> Looks right to me. Has Tom got time this morning to write up something from it?

Sadly not. apologies for lack of communication. Yesterday, I decided to have an afternoon off from email and go read a book in the park to destress, today I'm busy. Was hoping between the board, the employees and the list, something could be cobbled together. ;-)

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Tom Morris-5
On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 10:41, Jon Davies wrote:
> There are 114 very detailed questions (reminds me of a nightmare
> before finals)- we will be offering a broad brush answer.
> Quoting Gordon Joly <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])>:
>
> > Does a response need to reference the question numbers in the
> > consultation document?

Well, there's no need to answer all questions: I've participated in government consultations before and only answered questions that are appropriate to answer. On an purely logical basis, if you take a position on some matter, that makes some of the questions asked irrelevant. "N/A" or "I/We take no position on this matter." or leaving it blank is just fine.

Indeed, we shouldn't be answering sections of the consultation unless they have direct bearing on the mission and running of the Wikimedia projects.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: 12 o clock deadline

David Gerard-2
I've tweaked it a bit. There was an unclosed bracket on section 2 and
the last sentence looked stray; please check my change is close to
what you meant.

I'm not sure I understand our section 3.

- d.

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Tom Morris-5
I'm just doing some tweaking too. ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Thomas Morton
I'm not sure I understand our section 3.

I tweaked that to read a little more clearly (sorry Tom if I missed the point you were making). Although as Mike mentions on the talk page - some of the bullets only mention areas of interest, they don't make points. #3 could probably do with someone adding a "position" we hold. etc.

Tom

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Thomas Morton
Also; does it need a brief introduction to explain who we are and what our general stance is?

On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 11:52, Thomas Morton wrote:

> Also; does it need a brief introduction to explain who we are and what our general stance is?
Yep, most probably. I've attempted to make so many edits to fix up the grammar and so on, but have gone into a mad house of edit conflicts. Hope someone else can fix it up. ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Thomas Morton
Sorry, that was probably me - I'll go onto the talk page.

When do we *have* to send this in? 12?

Tom

(sorry, I should have done this yesterday :S)

On 21 March 2012 11:57, Tom Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wednesday, 21 March 2012 at 11:52, Thomas Morton wrote:

> Also; does it need a brief introduction to explain who we are and what our general stance is?
Yep, most probably. I've attempted to make so many edits to fix up the grammar and so on, but have gone into a mad house of edit conflicts. Hope someone else can fix it up. ;-)

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Jon Davies
I can paste something out of our general pages.

On 21/03/2012 10:41, Jon Davies wrote:
> There are 114 very detailed questions (reminds me of a nightmare
> before finals)- we will be offering a broad brush answer.
I can see the logic of that.

:-)

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Roger Bamkin
Completely missed this (*I went to work!) but it looks very good. Well gone all

[...]

01332 702993
0758 2020815
Google+:Victuallers
Skype:Victuallers1
Flickr:Victuallers2

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Gordon Joly
On 21/03/2012 16:50, Gordon Joly wrote:

> On 21/03/2012 10:41, Jon Davies wrote:
>> There are 114 very detailed questions (reminds me of a nightmare
>> before finals)- we will be offering a broad brush answer.
> I can see the logic of that.
>
> :-)
>
> Gordo

I think what I was suggesting was to scan the whole document, pick up
the obvious questions, with very obvious answers :-) and then answer
those. Maybe six. No need to answer them all. But there is need to
address the questions, not just go 100% freestyle in any response.

And yes, this could have been started in December 2011.

On 20/03/2012 10:30, Chris Keating wrote:
> I was planning to take this forward, and sent an email to this very
> list on this subject on 27 December.
>
> However, I ended up using the energy I could have spent on this on the
> Wikimedia fundraising debate instead...
>
> Chris

Also, this has shown up an interesting dynamic between the paid staff at
WMUK HQ (Silicon Roundabout), the Trustees (Directors) and the rest of us!

Cheers,

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]
http://www.joly.org.uk/
Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Jon Davies
Hopefully a positive one!

Quoting Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

> On 21/03/2012 16:50, Gordon Joly wrote:
>> On 21/03/2012 10:41, Jon Davies wrote:
>>> There are 114 very detailed questions (reminds me of a nightmare
>>> before finals)- we will be offering a broad brush answer.
>> I can see the logic of that.
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Gordo
>>

> I think what I was suggesting was to scan the whole document, pick
> up the obvious questions, with very obvious answers :-) and then
> answer those. Maybe six. No need to answer them all. But there is
> need to address the questions, not just go 100% freestyle in any
> response.
>
> And yes, this could have been started in December 2011.
>

> On 20/03/2012 10:30, Chris Keating wrote:
>> I was planning to take this forward, and sent an email to this very
>> list on this subject on 27 December.
>>
>> However, I ended up using the energy I could have spent on this on
>> the Wikimedia fundraising debate instead...
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Also, this has shown up an interesting dynamic between the paid
> staff at WMUK HQ (Silicon Roundabout), the Trustees (Directors) and
> the rest of us!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gordo
>
> --
>
> Gordon Joly
> [hidden email]
> http://www.joly.org.uk/
> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Gordon Joly

Yes, indeed. I always like asking people to do some work....

:-)

In particular, Daria's role in the training and other events has been
novel, and positive.

With four of you in the office, I am lucky to able to pop in for a chat
(living a few miles away)... and the Boris Bike docking station outside
the front door makes WMUK HQ even more accessible!

Gordo

P.S. How about an irregular one hour (lunchtime) walk to explore the
area? I am a trained walk leader, with insurance. Staff and everybody
else welcome! We could call it a "wiki walk".... :-)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:10:32 +0000, Jon Davies wrote:

> Hopefully a positive one!
>
> Quoting Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

>>> I can see the logic of that.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Gordo
>>>

>> I think what I was suggesting was to scan the whole document, pick
>> up the obvious questions, with very obvious answers :-) and then
>> answer those. Maybe six. No need to answer them all. But there is
>> need to address the questions, not just go 100% freestyle in any
>> response.
>>
>> And yes, this could have been started in December 2011.
>>

>> On 20/03/2012 10:30, Chris Keating wrote:
>>> I was planning to take this forward, and sent an email to this very
>>> list on this subject on 27 December.
>>>
>>> However, I ended up using the energy I could have spent on this on
>>> the Wikimedia fundraising debate instead...
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Also, this has shown up an interesting dynamic between the paid
>> staff at WMUK HQ (Silicon Roundabout), the Trustees (Directors) and
>> the rest of us!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Gordo
>>
>> --
>>
>> Gordon Joly
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.joly.org.uk/
>> Don't Leave Space To The Professionals!

> Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK.  07976 935 986
> tweet @jonatreesdavies
>
> Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
> Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
> and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513
> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard
> Street,  London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
> Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.
> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
> operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects). It is an independent
> non-profit organization with no legal control over Wikipedia nor
> responsibility for its contents.
>
> Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: 12 o clock deadline

Richard Symonds-3
Sounds like a good idea, but possibly best timed when there are more
people around than just the staff - we don't really have time to edit
Wikipedia articles much these days!

Richard Symonds
Office&  Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 207 065 0992
--
Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Charitable Company
Registered in England and Wales, No: 6741827. Charity No:1144513 Office: 4th Floor, Development House,  56-64 Leonard Street,