2010 Picture of the Year Competition

arablue99
Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2010 Picture of the Year competition is now open.  We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2010. Any user registered at a Wikimedia wiki since 2010 or prior with more than 200 edits as of 1 January 2011 (UTC) is welcome to vote.   Check your eligibility now.[1] If you meet the criteria, you are able to vote.

Nearly 800 images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final.  In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Galleries

Wikimedia Commons is interested in hearing your opinions on our featured images of 2010.  The deadline for first round voting is the 4th of May at 23:59 (UTC).

Thanks,
Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010

[1] http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16

Wikipedia Takes Your City

Ryan Kaldari-2
If anyone's going to Wikimania and wants to learn about doing photo
scavenger hunts, please list yourself as an interested attendee here:
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Wikipedia_Takes_Your_City

Ryan Kaldari

Re: 2010 Picture of the Year Competition

Eusebius-3
Hi all.

We receive this invitation on april 29th, and the first round finishes
on may 4th?
I took 10 days of vacations. Before I left, nothing was up, and when I
come back, it's already over?

Or maybe there's something I didn't understand?

Regards
Guillaume

Le 29/04/2011 03:09, Aaron Adrignola a écrit :

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2010 Picture of the Year
> competition is now open.  We're interested in your opinion as to which
> images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2010. Any user
> registered at a Wikimedia wiki since 2010 or prior with more than 200
> edits as of 1 January 2011 (UTC) is welcome to vote.   Check your
> eligibility now.[1] If you meet the criteria, you are able to vote.
>
> Nearly 800 images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
> international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all
> entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to
> breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically
> relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps,
> emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and
> impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
>
> For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
> Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for
> as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top
> ten overall will then make it to the final.  In the final round, when a
> limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that
> you want to become the Picture of the Year.
>
> To see the candidate images just go to:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Galleries
>
> Wikimedia Commons is interested in hearing your opinions on our featured
> images of 2010.  The deadline for first round voting is the 4th of May
> at 23:59 (UTC).
>
> Thanks,
> Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010
>
> [1]
> http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16
> <http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16>

Re: 2010 Picture of the Year Competition

Eusebius-3
Additional comment: the first round ended before its end date could be
translated and displayed to French-speaking visitors. Seriously, perhaps
I don't have anything to say because I didn't contribute, but this POTY
edition looks like a bad joke to me.

Guillaume

Le 05/05/2011 08:10, Eusebius a écrit :

> Hi all.
>
> We receive this invitation on april 29th, and the first round finishes
> on may 4th?
> I took 10 days of vacations. Before I left, nothing was up, and when I
> come back, it's already over?
>
> Or maybe there's something I didn't understand?
>
> Regards
> Guillaume
>
> Le 29/04/2011 03:09, Aaron Adrignola a écrit :
>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2010 Picture of the Year
>> competition is now open.  We're interested in your opinion as to which
>> images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2010. Any user
>> registered at a Wikimedia wiki since 2010 or prior with more than 200
>> edits as of 1 January 2011 (UTC) is welcome to vote.   Check your
>> eligibility now.[1] If you meet the criteria, you are able to vote.
>>
>> Nearly 800 images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
>> international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all
>> entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to
>> breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically
>> relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps,
>> emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and
>> impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
>>
>> For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
>> Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for
>> as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top
>> ten overall will then make it to the final.  In the final round, when a
>> limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that
>> you want to become the Picture of the Year.
>>
>> To see the candidate images just go to:
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Galleries
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons is interested in hearing your opinions on our featured
>> images of 2010.  The deadline for first round voting is the 4th of May
>> at 23:59 (UTC).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
>>
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010
>>
>> [1]
>> http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16
>> <http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16>

Re: 2010 Picture of the Year Competition

Béria Lima
Eusebius,

The translation begun 1 month ago. For one month anyone could go there and translate the pages to his language, (for example the pt version - made by me - was created in 31 March. French people had one month to translate everything, and according with this page, they did. If something don't got translated is not because they didn't had time.

And all this time, the start and end date of Round 1 was clear. We anounce here, in village pumps, Twitter, Facebook, IRC. I'm sorry we forget to send you a personal invitation.
_____
Béria Lima
(351) 925 171 484

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer.

2011/5/5 Eusebius <[hidden email]>
Additional comment: the first round ended before its end date could be
translated and displayed to French-speaking visitors. Seriously, perhaps
I don't have anything to say because I didn't contribute, but this POTY
edition looks like a bad joke to me.

Guillaume

Le 05/05/2011 08:10, Eusebius a écrit :
> Hi all.
>
> We receive this invitation on april 29th, and the first round finishes
> on may 4th?
> I took 10 days of vacations. Before I left, nothing was up, and when I
> come back, it's already over?
>
> Or maybe there's something I didn't understand?
>
> Regards
> Guillaume
>
> Le 29/04/2011 03:09, Aaron Adrignola a écrit :
>> Dear Wikimedians,
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2010 Picture of the Year
>> competition is now open.  We're interested in your opinion as to which
>> images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2010. Any user
>> registered at a Wikimedia wiki since 2010 or prior with more than 200
>> edits as of 1 January 2011 (UTC) is welcome to vote.   Check your
>> eligibility now.[1] If you meet the criteria, you are able to vote.
>>
>> Nearly 800 images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
>> international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all
>> entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to
>> breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically
>> relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps,
>> emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and
>> impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.
>>
>> For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
>> Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for
>> as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top
>> ten overall will then make it to the final.  In the final round, when a
>> limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that
>> you want to become the Picture of the Year.
>>
>> To see the candidate images just go to:
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Galleries
>>
>> Wikimedia Commons is interested in hearing your opinions on our featured
>> images of 2010.  The deadline for first round voting is the 4th of May
>> at 23:59 (UTC).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
>>
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010
>>
>> [1]
>> http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16
>> <http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=16>

Re: 2010 Picture of the Year Competition

Eusebius-3
Hi,

The point of my e-mail is not really "you've forgotten me", but "you may
have forgotten a lot of people", not because of the lack of
communication media but because of the dates.

About the translations: It's right that the end date was announced in
the mailing-list e-mail , april 29th. Sorry. What I meant is that the
French "Introduction & dates" page on-wiki still says at present time
that "the competition has begun", without any date, whereas the similar
English page gives the end date of round 1. Details, but these pages
probably are the first source of information when trying to participate
in POTY.

About the announcement: I didn't see any information on this mailing
list before april 29th, and it was already 5 days before the end of the
first round. In five days, we expect people to be aware of the existence
of POTY 2010, to look at all the pictures and to vote? That looks very
short to me, but that's probably because many people are on holidays
here in France.

About the on-wiki organization pages: Obviously I was watching the wrong
pages. When I left on April 25th, the one I was watching was still
saying something like "is there anyone doing anything?"
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Questions&oldid=52774500,
with probably the header in a different state).

I guess I'm just personnally frustrated that I couldn't review & vote.
Guillaume