2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

joseph seddon
Wikimedia UK Members,

As you all may be aware I have been tasked to over see Wikimedia UK’s operation of and participation in conferences in the UK’s large open knowledge and free software movement. The participation of the chapters members is instrumental in getting our name out there and to move forward. The Wikimedia UK AGM will be used as an opportunity for those involved/interested in open knowledge and free software to come and help teach the chapter something and likewise for those people to find out more about the movement we are part of.

This years AGM was held in Manchester in (what I thought) was a very nice venue. After only 2 months of existence we managed to reach 26 members., of which over 90% were present. I hope and expect our AGM’s to grow and to continue with such a high participation rate.

For the 2010 AGM, I am looking to hold it in or a location south of Birmingham. This is to enable those from London etc a shorter journey to travel. This city rotation will happen for much of the foreseeable future, but it is not guaranteed. What I need from the members is the following:

  • Recommended city
  • Possible Venues

Although a whole year ahead, given that there will likely be other project I would like to get as much of a head start as possible on those we know will occur.

No dedication of time will be required so don’t feel that by suggesting a city and venue that you are then committed to help out. Volunteers will be dragged in at a later date. Things to look at when suggesting venues is cost, wifi, food, access and size. For the time being, assume participation of 50+ people. This isn’t an official bidding thing like wikimania, just simply to get ideas on the table for me to put together for future discussion.

Yours

Joseph Seddon

Events and Conferences, Director
Wikimedia UK

" Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Thomas Dalton
2009/5/1 joseph seddon <[hidden email]>:
> This isn’t an official bidding thing like wikimania, just
> simply to get ideas on the table for me to put together for future
> discussion.

Let's have an official bidding process - we'll see if we can complete
it and get a decision before the Wikimania jury makes theirs! ;)

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Andrew Turvey
My suggestion from experience with organising the 2009 AGM - only do it where we have members who can help organise it. Trying to do it remotely because we think it's a nice idea to have it in a particular place just doesn't work!

[...]

_______________________________________________ Wikimedia UK mailing list [hidden email] http://mail.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediauk-l WMUK: http://uk.wikimedia.org

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Thomas Dalton
2009/5/2 Andrew Turvey <[hidden email]>:
> My suggestion from experience with organising the 2009 AGM - only do it
> where we have members who can help organise it. Trying to do it remotely
> because we think it's a nice idea to have it in a particular place just
> doesn't work!

That is a very good point.

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Michael Peel-2
This shouldn't be restricted just to members ... :-)

My suggestion would be either Oxford, based on the Wikimania bid, or
London itself, perhaps at one of the universities/colleges. It would
be nice if we could do something at the same time (or located at)
with The British Library or similar, but that's possibly a bit
ambitious right now.

Mike

On 1 May 2009, at 23:28, joseph seddon wrote:

> Wikimedia UK Members,
>
> As you all may be aware I have been tasked to over see Wikimedia
> UK’s operation of and participation in conferences in the UK’s
> large open knowledge and free software movement. The participation
> of the chapters members is instrumental in getting our name out
> there and to move forward. The Wikimedia UK AGM will be used as an
> opportunity for those involved/interested in open knowledge and
> free software to come and help teach the chapter something and
> likewise for those people to find out more about the movement we
> are part of.
>
> This years AGM was held in Manchester in (what I thought) was a
> very nice venue. After only 2 months of existence we managed to
> reach 26 members., of which over 90% were present. I hope and
> expect our AGM’s to grow and to continue with such a high
> participation rate.
>
> For the 2010 AGM, I am looking to hold it in or a location south of
> Birmingham. This is to enable those from London etc a shorter
> journey to travel. This city rotation will happen for much of the
> foreseeable future, but it is not guaranteed. What I need from the
> members is the following:
>
> Recommended city
> Possible Venues
>
> Although a whole year ahead, given that there will likely be other
> project I would like to get as much of a head start as possible on
> those we know will occur.
>
> No dedication of time will be required so don’t feel that by
> suggesting a city and venue that you are then committed to help
> out. Volunteers will be dragged in at a later date. Things to look
> at when suggesting venues is cost, wifi, food, access and size. For
> the time being, assume participation of 50+ people. This isn’t an
> official bidding thing like wikimania, just simply to get ideas on
> the table for me to put together for future discussion.
>
> Yours
>
> Joseph Seddon
>
> Events and Conferences, Director
> Wikimedia UK
>

> " Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN. " Download Now

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Rich Farmbrough
We could consider Peterborough. The Town Hall has meeting rooms of
various sizes available, up to a couple of hundred.

For a further short hop by train, or shared taxi (with a 7 seater it is
reasonably cheap) Stamford has a lot to see and many eateries, including
the famous George coaching house, the grave of Daniel Lambert rooms for
hire in the Arts Centre, the town hall (possibly free
http://www.stamfordtowncouncil.co.uk/index.php?id=20) .

Both towns are on the A1 and accessible   by various transport, although
the Harriers only stop a few miles away at Wittering and a short walk
would be needed, the hot air balloons depart Stamford but do not arrive.

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Thomas Dalton
2009/5/4 Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]>:
> We could consider Peterborough. The Town Hall has meeting rooms of
> various sizes available, up to a couple of hundred.

I'm not sure if we need to find somewhere as formal as a Town Hall.
Where we had this year's AGM would work pretty well (I'm not
suggesting we have in in Manchester again, just a similar venue).
Something with a data projector and screen would be good, but we can
hire those if we need to. We should try and keep costs down as much as
possible - ideally we don't want to charge people to attend, since
that would reduce turnout. I believe we got the room at Kro Bar for
free, and should be able to do similarly elsewhere.

Re: 2010 WMUK AGM/CONFERENCE

Andrew Turvey
Do we have any supporters who live in Peterborough who would be prepared to help organise the AGM?

Andrew