2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Tilman Bayer
The 2012 Editor Survey will start today on Wikipedia projects and
Commons. Many people have already helped with providing and reviewing
translations on Meta. But we can still use help for a last
double-check of the translated questionnaires as they appear in the
actual survey, to help ensure that survey participants won't encounter
issues when taking the survey in their own language:

Arabic: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=AR

German: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=DE

Spanish: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=ES

French: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=FR

Hebrew: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=HE

Italian: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=IT

Japanese: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=JA

Dutch: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=NL

Polish: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=PL
(the Polish translation has not been fully reviewed yet and may launch
somewhat later than the rest)

Russian: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=RU

Swedish: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=SV

Ukrainian: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=UK

Chinese (Simplified):
https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=ZH-S

Chinese (Traditional):
https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=ZH-T

English: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=EN

We will monitor this thread throughout the survey for any issues that
might come up. But in case there are translation errors that survived
the review phase, feel free to correct them directly on Meta instead.
The translations are listed at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012/Questions#NOTICE_ABOUT_TRANSLATIONS
. (For those not yet familiar with the Translate extension interface:
Go to the translation that you want to correct, then click "translated
version" on top. The downward arrow ("↓") links on the left allow to
edit the corresponding translation unit.)

Notes:
* In this edition of the survey, the translations have been imported
from Meta by bot, rather than manually, so we expect much fewer issues
resulting from copy+paste errors.
* The Portuguese version will launch a bit later.
* The above links to qualtrics.com are just for testing, and survey
evaluation of results. Of course you are welcome to participate as
editor in the actual survey once it has launched. You should be shown
a banner invitation when accessing Commons or one of the participating
Wikipedias on the first time after the launch, when being logged in.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Niklas Laxström
On 29 October 2012 15:02, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The 2012 Editor Survey will start today on Wikipedia projects and
> Commons. Many people have already helped with providing and reviewing
> translations on Meta. But we can still use help for a last
> double-check of the translated questionnaires as they appear in the
> actual survey, to help ensure that survey participants won't encounter
> issues when taking the survey in their own language:

> . (For those not yet familiar with the Translate extension interface:
> Go to the translation that you want to correct, then click "translated
> version" on top. The downward arrow ("↓") links on the left allow to
> edit the corresponding translation unit.)

Just a small note: the arrow gives a link with anchor that you can
pass to other people. Clicking the link text or double clicking the
translation column opens the translation editor.

For proofreading I suggest using the review mode which shows what you
have not already reviewed (have to be logged in):
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Translate?taction=proofread&group=page-Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions&task=acceptqueue

  -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Amir E. Aharoni
A couple of comments:

1. For the future, don't rely exclusively on capital letters for
emphasis. Most alphabets don't have capital letters.

2. The language selectors are very, very uncomfortable. They are not
alphabetically sorted and it's very hard to find the right language.
You probably won't be able to change it for this time, but please
consider this for the next time.

3. Finally, is it possible to update the Hebrew translation of the
survey? I fixed some significant errors there :)

Thank you.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

2012/10/29 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>
> Notes:
> * In this edition of the survey, the translations have been imported
> from Meta by bot, rather than manually, so we expect much fewer issues
> resulting from copy+paste errors.
> * The Portuguese version will launch a bit later.
> * The above links to qualtrics.com are just for testing, and survey
> evaluation of results. Of course you are welcome to participate as
> editor in the actual survey once it has launched. You should be shown
> a banner invitation when accessing Commons or one of the participating
> Wikipedias on the first time after the launch, when being logged in.
>

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Also, the final screen doesn't seem to be translated:

"Check back for the survey's outcomes in the coming months on the
Wikimedia blog. You can find more information about Wikimedia
Foundation initiatives here. If you have suggestions how to improve
futures issues of this survey, go here. Thank-you very much for
participating in the survey! The data will be anonymized and results
will be released into the public domain."

The translation of the survey to Hebrew at Meta appears to be complete.

> [...]

> Notes:
> * In this edition of the survey, the translations have been imported
> from Meta by bot, rather than manually, so we expect much fewer issues
> resulting from copy+paste errors.
> * The Portuguese version will launch a bit later.
> * The above links to qualtrics.com are just for testing, and survey
> evaluation of results. Of course you are welcome to participate as
> editor in the actual survey once it has launched. You should be shown
> a banner invitation when accessing Commons or one of the participating
> Wikipedias on the first time after the launch, when being logged in.
>

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Simon Shek
I was a little bit confused with the language selector too.
They seems sorting in a random order at the first sight. (I found out they are sorted with language code later.)

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> version" on top. The downward arrow ("↓") links on the left allow to
> edit the corresponding translation unit.)
>
> Notes:
> * In this edition of the survey, the translations have been imported
> from Meta by bot, rather than manually, so we expect much fewer issues
> resulting from copy+paste errors.
> * The Portuguese version will launch a bit later.
> * The above links to qualtrics.com are just for testing, and survey
> evaluation of results. Of course you are welcome to participate as
> editor in the actual survey once it has launched. You should be shown
> a banner invitation when accessing Commons or one of the participating
> Wikipedias on the first time after the launch, when being logged in.
>

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

Simon Shek
Wikimedia Hong Kong

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Анастасия Львова
I see that translators didn't think about gender specific words (like
endings of verbs in Russian); may be if Foundation takes care about
gender gap there should be any recommendation about it for such texts
in the future.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> version" on top. The downward arrow ("↓") links on the left allow to
> edit the corresponding translation unit.)
>
> Notes:
> * In this edition of the survey, the translations have been imported
> from Meta by bot, rather than manually, so we expect much fewer issues
> resulting from copy+paste errors.
> * The Portuguese version will launch a bit later.
> * The above links to qualtrics.com are just for testing, and survey
> evaluation of results. Of course you are welcome to participate as
> editor in the actual survey once it has launched. You should be shown
> a banner invitation when accessing Commons or one of the participating
> Wikipedias on the first time after the launch, when being logged in.
>

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

с уважением,
Львова Анастасия

2012/10/29 Анастасия Львова <[hidden email]>:
> I see that translators didn't think about gender specific words (like
> endings of verbs in Russian); may be if Foundation takes care about
> gender gap there should be any recommendation about it for such texts
> in the future.

[Sigh]

I agree with Anastasia. This is relevant for many, many languages, and
this is repeated every survey. I'm sorry about sounding grumpy, but it
frustrates me time after time how English speakers just don't get it
that in many languages words like "you", "write", "married" and many
others are as different for men and women as "he" and "she" are in
English.

I see two possibilities to resolve it:
1. Find survey software that supports gender.
2. Give translators the opportunity to write two versions of the
survey - one for a male participant and one for female. Make "What is
your gender?" the first question. And show the rest of the questions
accordingly.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Philippe Verdy
2012/10/29 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:
> French: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=FR

The French version must be resynched from the data in the translation
tool. It is full of very horrible typos and grammatical errors (plus
completely wrong reinterpretations of the English source).

Who entered this ? I corrected a lot (the version used last year,
certainly did not have all those errors, so someone destroyed the work
done correctly last year by typing everything he wanted), and reviewed
it completely, in almost all items.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Philippe Verdy, 29/10/2012 19:48:
> 2012/10/29 Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]>:
>> French: https://wikimedia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_elCCS27RBSOaJ25&RecipientLanguage=FR
>
> The French version must be resynched from the data in the translation
> tool. It is full of very horrible typos and grammatical errors (plus
> completely wrong reinterpretations of the English source).
>
> Who entered this ?

Historyh works as usual:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
(but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if
I remember correctly).
Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
fixes.

Nemo

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Philippe Verdy
Yes but most of the typos were imported by a bot... the source of this
is not known.

I've not seen these many typos last year.

2012/10/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
> Historyh works as usual:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
> (but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if I
> remember correctly).
> Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
> fixes.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Bojan Jankuloski-2
You are perfectly right about the genders. It renders the whole thing unserious and useless. I'm not too sure that most alphabets don't have capitals (in fact, only comparatively few don't) but that is a lesser problem there.

On 30 October 2012 08:25, Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes but most of the typos were imported by a bot... the source of this
is not known.

I've not seen these many typos last year.

2012/10/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
> Historyh works as usual:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
> (but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if I
> remember correctly).
> Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
> fixes.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Philippe Verdy
Among the changes I made there was also the replacement of "editors"
incorrectly translated as "éditeurs" in French. Because an "éditeur"
is the person or organization that publishes the work made by authors.
When authors are collective and redacting on the same work ("œuvre")
that will be published by the same "éditeur", they are called
"rédacteurs" (this may include those that contribute images, not just
texts, and page layout, and the work performed by correctors).

In the live interface of Wikimedia, the action "edit" is NEVER
translated in French as "éditer" (even if this is frequently used, due
to the other meaning of the term "editor" to designate the tool used
to make the redaction and correction work), but as "modifier". I
avoided anyway the term "modificateur" because it is too restrictive
and removes the act of creation.

I think that in the spirit of the project, "rédacteur" (and the
associated verb "rédiger") is more respectuous of the work performed
on the project for which the survey is created. Som may think that the
act of discussing in talk page is different, it is still a
contribution, which is redacted (= working on a written piece of work,
not exactly like the term "redact" used in English that means more the
action of modifying the work made by someone else, including
corrections) as well.

I tried to use a consistant terminology as well. I fixed also the
punctuation. And there shoul not longer be any
syntax/grammar/orthograph errors.

Please review if you don't agree with some choices, but try to be
consistant. Thanks.

2012/10/29 Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]>:

> Yes but most of the typos were imported by a bot... the source of this
> is not known.
>
> I've not seen these many typos last year.
>
> 2012/10/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
>> Historyh works as usual:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
>> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
>> (but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if I
>> remember correctly).
>> Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
>> fixes.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Alhen
Thanks for preparing the survey. I wonder you reviewed Spanish translation, but I guess they forgot Wikipedia in Spanish doesn't use "usted", a formal way to address someone. We use "tú", which is more familiar. Where can I make some suggestions, changes, etc?

Alhen

@alhen_
alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
00-591-79592235

2012/10/29 Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]>
Among the changes I made there was also the replacement of "editors"
incorrectly translated as "éditeurs" in French. Because an "éditeur"
is the person or organization that publishes the work made by authors.
When authors are collective and redacting on the same work ("œuvre")
that will be published by the same "éditeur", they are called
"rédacteurs" (this may include those that contribute images, not just
texts, and page layout, and the work performed by correctors).

In the live interface of Wikimedia, the action "edit" is NEVER
translated in French as "éditer" (even if this is frequently used, due
to the other meaning of the term "editor" to designate the tool used
to make the redaction and correction work), but as "modifier". I
avoided anyway the term "modificateur" because it is too restrictive
and removes the act of creation.

I think that in the spirit of the project, "rédacteur" (and the
associated verb "rédiger") is more respectuous of the work performed
on the project for which the survey is created. Som may think that the
act of discussing in talk page is different, it is still a
contribution, which is redacted (= working on a written piece of work,
not exactly like the term "redact" used in English that means more the
action of modifying the work made by someone else, including
corrections) as well.

I tried to use a consistant terminology as well. I fixed also the
punctuation. And there shoul not longer be any
syntax/grammar/orthograph errors.

Please review if you don't agree with some choices, but try to be
consistant. Thanks.

2012/10/29 Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]>:
> Yes but most of the typos were imported by a bot... the source of this
> is not known.
>
> I've not seen these many typos last year.
>
> 2012/10/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
>> Historyh works as usual:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
>> http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
>> (but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if I
>> remember correctly).
>> Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
>> fixes.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Philippe Verdy
This is not critical for French, when you use the formal style (vous),
the person designated may be considered neutral. It is not perceived
as offensive, even if (for answers where we reply by "I" = "Je", the
gender is more important). What is important is that the survey is not
directed to a single person but to a collection of persons, whatever
their gender (but there's only one person responding with "I" / "Je").

Given that the survey does not require the gender, it cannot guess as
long as the question has not been asked and if the response is not
given or is "I don't know" or "I prefer to not reveal this detail",
and the gender is also not clear if one replies "transgender" or
"transexual" (which is also probably oiffensice for many people in
some cultures : they should better be proposed something like "not
determined", which could be merged within the same reply as "I don't
know" or "I prefer to not reveal it", in a single reply
"other/neutral/don't know/kept secret"). This will be simpler and
sufficient for the survey (which is interested more to know what
gender the people are the most linked to, and that drives their
interests).

So keep it simple : "Masculine" or "Feminine" or "Neutral".

2012/10/29 Bojan Jankuloski <[hidden email]>:

> You are perfectly right about the genders. It renders the whole thing
> unserious and useless. I'm not too sure that most alphabets don't have
> capitals (in fact, only comparatively few don't) but that is a lesser
> problem there.
>
> On 30 October 2012 08:25, Philippe Verdy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes but most of the typos were imported by a bot... the source of this
>> is not known.
>>
>> I've not seen these many typos last year.
>>
>> 2012/10/29 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
>> > Historyh works as usual:
>> >
>> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_August_2012/Questions/fr&action=history
>> >
>> > http://vs.aka-online.de/cgi-bin/wppagehiststat.pl?lang=meta.wikimedia&page=Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions%2Ffr
>> > (but original translations by the bot come from the previous edition, if
>> > remember correctly).
>> > Feedback to the authors of bad translations is surely useful; thanks for
>> > fixes.

Re: 2012 Editor Survey is about to launch

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Alhen, 29/10/2012 20:55:
> Thanks for preparing the survey. I wonder you reviewed Spanish
> translation, but I guess they forgot Wikipedia in Spanish doesn't use
> "usted", a formal way to address someone. We use "tú", which is more
> familiar. Where can I make some suggestions, changes, etc?

"Translate this page" link on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012/Questions
More specifically, the link Niklas shared earlier:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ATranslate&taction=proofread&group=page-Research%3AWikipedia+Editor+Survey+August+2012%2FQuestions&language=es&limit=100&task=acceptqueue>
for Spanish.

Nemo