2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

Rob Lanphier-4
Hi all,

This week[1]: let's talk about the future of magic links[2][3]

This is LegoKtm's proposal that we move magic links out of core, and
deprecate their use on the Wikimedia cluster.  Magic links are the
links that get generated when you put "RFC 1149" or "ISBN
978-1-84685-039-4" in your wikitext, even on a typical MediaWiki
install with no extensions.

The RFC has three components:
1.  Moving this functionality to an extension (via parser hook) in
time for the MediaWiki 1.28 release
2.  Deprecation strategy for Wikimedia wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)
3.  Disable magic links hooks a year later (in time for the next
MediaWiki LTS release)

Given that the implications of steps 2 and 3 are much broader than
just the MediaWiki community, this won't likely result in a "final
comment" period for anything other than step 1.  But maybe(?) we can
agree to move forward with step 1.

Let's chat about that tomorrow.  Same time as always (Wednesday 21
UTC, 14 PDT, 23 CEST) and place (#wikimedia-office).

Rob
p.s. note that I'm generally better about updating the ArchComStatus
page[4] than sending these emails.  "Generally", that is.  :-)

[1]: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/E269>
[2]: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T145604>
[3]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Future_of_magic_links>
[4]: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ArchComStatus>

Re: 2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

Legoktm
Hi,

On 10/04/2016 04:56 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> The RFC has three components:
> 1.  Moving this functionality to an extension (via parser hook) in
> time for the MediaWiki 1.28 release

Errr, not exactly. Step 1 is to disable the magic link functionality by
default for the MediaWiki 1.28 release, and mark it as deprecated. We
would add a tracking category for each type of magic link if they are
still enabled. And regardless of magic link enabling status, we would
add a {{ISBN:...}} parser function to make a convenient link to
Special:Booksources. (RFC/PMID are replaced using interwiki links). At
this time nothing would be moving to an extension.

> 2.  Deprecation strategy for Wikimedia wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)

Most of the migration can be done using a bot with some basic regexes,
but the key part will be adapting templates to generate links (e.g. ISBN
citation templates) instead of relying upon magic link functionality.

> 3.  Disable magic links hooks a year later (in time for the next
> MediaWiki LTS release)

More specifically, removing all magic link functionality from MediaWiki
core. We would move the Booksources code and ISBN parser function to an
extension.

> Given that the implications of steps 2 and 3 are much broader than
> just the MediaWiki community, this won't likely result in a "final
> comment" period for anything other than step 1.  But maybe(?) we can
> agree to move forward with step 1.

Yes, I think having a decision about the time sensitive parts (for
MediaWiki 1.28) would be a good goal.

> Let's chat about that tomorrow.  Same time as always (Wednesday 21
> UTC, 14 PDT, 23 CEST) and place (#wikimedia-office).

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend due to a conflict with school,
but cscott has volunteered to represent me and the RfC tomorrow. :)

Thanks,
-- Legoktm

Re: 2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

Chad
On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:52 PM Legoktm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > 2.  Deprecation strategy for Wikimedia wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)
>
> Most of the migration can be done using a bot with some basic regexes,
> but the key part will be adapting templates to generate links (e.g. ISBN
> citation templates) instead of relying upon magic link functionality.

Question: do we have any kinds of numbers yet on how widely these are
used across WMF projects?

It's info something we could probably get out of either Elasticsearch or the
dumps probably :)

-Chad

Re: 2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

C. Scott Ananian
I just have anecdotal knowledge based on
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T117165 -- people seem to use ISBNs in
citations often enough to complain when they are <nowiki>'ed by Visual
Editor, but I don't remember ever having any complaint about <nowiki>s
around the RFC or PMID magic links.
 --scott

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:52 PM Legoktm <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > > 2.  Deprecation strategy for Wikimedia wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)
> >
> > Most of the migration can be done using a bot with some basic regexes,
> > but the key part will be adapting templates to generate links (e.g. ISBN
> > citation templates) instead of relying upon magic link functionality.
> >

> Question: do we have any kinds of numbers yet on how widely these are
> used across WMF projects?
>
> It's info something we could probably get out of either Elasticsearch or
> the
> dumps probably :)
>
> -Chad

(http://cscott.net)

Re: 2016W40 ArchCom-RFC meeting: future of magic links

Gabriel Wicke-3
If EleasticSearch regexp search is not easy to get going, then
https://github.com/wikimedia/dumpgrepper can be used to get a count of
matches per dump, as well as relative frequency in terms of % of articles.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 8:51 AM, C. Scott Ananian <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I just have anecdotal knowledge based on
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T117165 -- people seem to use ISBNs in
> citations often enough to complain when they are <nowiki>'ed by Visual
> Editor, but I don't remember ever having any complaint about <nowiki>s
> around the RFC or PMID magic links.
>  --scott
>
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Chad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Most of the migration can be done using a bot with some basic regexes,
> > > but the key part will be adapting templates to generate links (e.g.
> ISBN
> > > citation templates) instead of relying upon magic link functionality.
> > >

> > Question: do we have any kinds of numbers yet on how widely these are
> > used across WMF projects?
> >
> > It's info something we could probably get out of either Elasticsearch or
> > the
> > dumps probably :)
> >
> > -Chad

> (http://cscott.net)

Gabriel Wicke
Principal Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation