Quantcast

2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Grace Gellerman
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-03-08

= 2017-03-08 =
Call outs:

* FR-Tech:Andrew Green would like some help with a couple of CentralNotice
issues
** Advice from traffic / Varnish gurus on cache purges:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154954
** Help from core team with message cache update slowness
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158084
* Reading Infrastrucuture needs help with reviewing
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:css-sanitizer and
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/336963/ .
* Releng looking for some review on [
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/328191/ Selenium tests ported from Ruby
→ Nodejs]
* Ops: fluorine deprecated in favour of mwlog1001
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123728

== Product ==
=== Reading ===
====Android====
* Last week:
** Upgrade to new Mapbox beta merged
** New saved page cache implementation still in progress T156917
** Reading list UI improvements and several tech debt patches
* Next week (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2352/ ):
** Continue improving the offline experience

====Reading Infrastructure====
* working on TemplateStyles, ORES
** about to wrap up TemplateStyles RfC:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813
** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:css-sanitizer
(MediaWiki-independent
CSS parser/sanitizer library) could use reviews
** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/336963/ (hooks + data attributes for
change list items) is a blocker for ORES, could use reviews
* MCS: finished spike to figure out how to expand TFA and other feeds to
more languages. Adding more languages for TFA.

==== Web ====
* We've been working towards making PagePreviews available in production:
fixing bugs, improving the JS stack (T156333) and creaing a dashboard to
track the performance in real-time (T157111).
* We'll continue with the above work this week.

==== iOS ====
* Last Week
** 5.4 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2326/
*** VoiceOver support for Places (accessibility)
*** Continued work on login and 2FA (two-factor authentication)
*** Shipped Beta to external users
* This week
** Continue work on 5.4
*** Bug fixes and polish on Places
*** Continue work on login and 2FA (two-factor authentication)
*** Other fixes and enhancements

==== Community Tech ====
* No blockers
* Refinements to Popular Pages bot https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159774
 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159776
* Almost done with cookie blocks https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152952
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152076
* Volunteer helping with a new Special:AutoblockList page
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146414
* XTools Articleinfo moving along https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157706
* Testing LoginNotify on beta cluster
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158878
* Added a CirrusSearch "source" to Massviews
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159858

=== Editing ===

==== Parsing ====
* Sorry about recent absences -- between travel and vacation, couldn't show
up regularly
* Linter extension will be enabled on test wikis this week and we'll move
on from there
* <audio> / <video> support in Parsoid coming along
* Language variant support / fixes ongoing -- using visual diff tests to
identify bug not caught by parser tests and other tests.
* RemexHTML (native PHP HTML5 parser) ready; integrated with Mediawiki Core
as a Tidy replacement along with necessary Tidy-compatibility passes. Will
run visual diff tests this week before we can start thinking about
deploying this.

==== UI Standardization ====
* This week
** Work on contents of style guide
* Updates
** General
*** Incorporating the web fonts into style guide with a future-proof
technological solution, which could work as boilerplate for similar
projects https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155128
** OOjs UI:
*** Release of v0.19.5, among others including 6 UI related patches (new
icons, keyboard-focus improvs, OutlinedBookletDialog visual order)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/GOJU/browse/master/History.md


==== Collaboration ====
* Blocked
* Blocking
* Updates
** RC Filters
*** RC Filters Beta Feature
*** More AJAX support for the RC Filters UI
*** Loading animation
*** More UX elements and bug fixes
*** Many bug fixes, including:
**** Select filter when searching and add it on 'enter'
**** Highlight improvements
** Echo bug fixes
** Maintenance: New script to init a user preference based on another
preference
** ORES: Fetch thresholds from live stats for filters

== Infrastructure ==

=== Analytics ===
* Troubleshooting the upgrade to CDH 5.10 is wrapping up, we have a
work-around for the last remaining problem with oozie/spark/hive not
working perfectly together
* Working on deploying historical pageview numbers (before May 2015) to AQS
* Working on inconsistency in how dates are handled in AQS, almost done
(T156312)
* Prototype (fake data, fake everything) for Wikistats 2.0 using Vue.js is
being worked on here: https://github.com/milimetric/wikistats-prototype,
not sure on best practices yet but enjoying Vue development.

=== Research ===
* Starting work on missing section recommendations in support of stub
expansion
** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159227

=== Security ===
* Reviews:
** Timeless skin
** Extension:StopForumSpam
** On this day mobile endpoint
** Extension:FileExporter
* Darian away at IFF in Valencia, Spain March 6th-10th; available via
e-mail and Signal (971-401-8338)
* Brian away at Enterprise Mediawiki Con March 7th-10th in D.C.

=== Services ===
* Blockers: none
* Updates:
    ** 2 machines added to SCB in codfw: scb2005 and scb2006
    *** All services deployed there, all scap configs updated, no action
required
    *** Since that deploy all services do short-term DNS caching

=== RelEng ===
* '''Blocking'''
** None?
* '''Blocked'''
** [https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/328191/ Selenium tests ported from
Ruby → Nodejs] Could use review
** [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159332 PuppetDB in beta flapping]

=== Tech Ops ===
* Blockers: none
* Blocked: none
* Updates:
** fluorine deprecated in favour of mwlog1001
** Auditing capacity in codfw before April datacenter switchover
** DNS discovery https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149617
** Precise deprecation work continues in prod and labs

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* No blockers
* DonationInterface
** deployed first use of new Ingenico API
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128692
** fixing display of unsupported currency conversion notice:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T98447
* CiviCRM
** fixing some blank address bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159402
** more tweaks to matching gift import:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T115044
* CentralNotice:
** Need advice from traffic / Varnish folks on cache purges:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154954
** Need help from core team with message cache update slowness
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158084
* Finishing up PCI compliance paperwork

=== Discovery ===
* No blockers
* ES5 upgrade process starting Monday with codfw cluster, see full plan at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157479
** This will also enable run-time indexing for completion suggester
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154503
* Results from sister wiki search A/B tests being analyzed
* Working on wikidata search

== German Technical Wishlist ==
* Working with suggestions we got to make RevisionSlider touch friendly.
* Working out a plan for an actual Special:Search form extension.

== Wikidata ==
* Figuring out how to update our giant wb_terms table (T159851)
* Migrated all special pages to OOUI (T48248), working on also using OOUI
on the undo interface
* Baseline to link to Data:….map pages on Commons is done (T57549)
* Review-queue we build to fully support new entity types is pretty much
merged.
* Working out a plan for sub-entity support for Wiktionary.
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Pine W
Thanks for pushing out these updates, Grace.

I have a question. Is there a list somewhere of who should be contacted
with questions about a particular project or team? Some WMF people are very
good about responding to emails or talk page inquiries, while other
people's inboxes seem to be black holes and they may or may not respond to
inquiries on their talk pages.

Thanks,

Pine


On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Grace Gellerman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-03-08
>
> = 2017-03-08 =
> Call outs:
>
> * FR-Tech:Andrew Green would like some help with a couple of CentralNotice
> issues
> ** Advice from traffic / Varnish gurus on cache purges:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154954
> ** Help from core team with message cache update slowness
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158084
> * Reading Infrastrucuture needs help with reviewing
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:css-sanitizer and
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/336963/ .
> * Releng looking for some review on [
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/328191/ Selenium tests ported from Ruby
> → Nodejs]
> * Ops: fluorine deprecated in favour of mwlog1001
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123728
>
> == Product ==
> === Reading ===
> ====Android====
> * Last week:
> ** Upgrade to new Mapbox beta merged
> ** New saved page cache implementation still in progress T156917
> ** Reading list UI improvements and several tech debt patches
> * Next week (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2352/ ):
> ** Continue improving the offline experience
>
> ====Reading Infrastructure====
> * working on TemplateStyles, ORES
> ** about to wrap up TemplateStyles RfC:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155813
> ** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/project:css-sanitizer
> (MediaWiki-independent
> CSS parser/sanitizer library) could use reviews
> ** https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/336963/ (hooks + data attributes for
> change list items) is a blocker for ORES, could use reviews
> * MCS: finished spike to figure out how to expand TFA and other feeds to
> more languages. Adding more languages for TFA.
>
> ==== Web ====
> * We've been working towards making PagePreviews available in production:
> fixing bugs, improving the JS stack (T156333) and creaing a dashboard to
> track the performance in real-time (T157111).
> * We'll continue with the above work this week.
>
> ==== iOS ====
> * Last Week
> ** 5.4 https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2326/
> *** VoiceOver support for Places (accessibility)
> *** Continued work on login and 2FA (two-factor authentication)
> *** Shipped Beta to external users
> * This week
> ** Continue work on 5.4
> *** Bug fixes and polish on Places
> *** Continue work on login and 2FA (two-factor authentication)
> *** Other fixes and enhancements
>
> ==== Community Tech ====
> * No blockers
> * Refinements to Popular Pages bot https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T159774
>  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159776
> * Almost done with cookie blocks https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152952
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152076
> * Volunteer helping with a new Special:AutoblockList page
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146414
> * XTools Articleinfo moving along https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T157706
> * Testing LoginNotify on beta cluster
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158878
> * Added a CirrusSearch "source" to Massviews
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159858
>
> === Editing ===
>
> ==== Parsing ====
> * Sorry about recent absences -- between travel and vacation, couldn't show
> up regularly
> * Linter extension will be enabled on test wikis this week and we'll move
> on from there
> * <audio> / <video> support in Parsoid coming along
> * Language variant support / fixes ongoing -- using visual diff tests to
> identify bug not caught by parser tests and other tests.
> * RemexHTML (native PHP HTML5 parser) ready; integrated with Mediawiki Core
> as a Tidy replacement along with necessary Tidy-compatibility passes. Will
> run visual diff tests this week before we can start thinking about
> deploying this.
>
> ==== UI Standardization ====
> * This week
> ** Work on contents of style guide
> * Updates
> ** General
> *** Incorporating the web fonts into style guide with a future-proof
> technological solution, which could work as boilerplate for similar
> projects https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T155128
> ** OOjs UI:
> *** Release of v0.19.5, among others including 6 UI related patches (new
> icons, keyboard-focus improvs, OutlinedBookletDialog visual order)
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/GOJU/browse/master/History.md
>
>
> ==== Collaboration ====
> * Blocked
> * Blocking
> * Updates
> ** RC Filters
> *** RC Filters Beta Feature
> *** More AJAX support for the RC Filters UI
> *** Loading animation
> *** More UX elements and bug fixes
> *** Many bug fixes, including:
> **** Select filter when searching and add it on 'enter'
> **** Highlight improvements
> ** Echo bug fixes
> ** Maintenance: New script to init a user preference based on another
> preference
> ** ORES: Fetch thresholds from live stats for filters
>
> == Infrastructure ==
>
> === Analytics ===
> * Troubleshooting the upgrade to CDH 5.10 is wrapping up, we have a
> work-around for the last remaining problem with oozie/spark/hive not
> working perfectly together
> * Working on deploying historical pageview numbers (before May 2015) to AQS
> * Working on inconsistency in how dates are handled in AQS, almost done
> (T156312)
> * Prototype (fake data, fake everything) for Wikistats 2.0 using Vue.js is
> being worked on here: https://github.com/milimetric/wikistats-prototype,
> not sure on best practices yet but enjoying Vue development.
>
> === Research ===
> * Starting work on missing section recommendations in support of stub
> expansion
> ** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159227
>
> === Security ===
> * Reviews:
> ** Timeless skin
> ** Extension:StopForumSpam
> ** On this day mobile endpoint
> ** Extension:FileExporter
> * Darian away at IFF in Valencia, Spain March 6th-10th; available via
> e-mail and Signal (971-401-8338)
> * Brian away at Enterprise Mediawiki Con March 7th-10th in D.C.
>
> === Services ===
> * Blockers: none
> * Updates:
>     ** 2 machines added to SCB in codfw: scb2005 and scb2006
>     *** All services deployed there, all scap configs updated, no action
> required
>     *** Since that deploy all services do short-term DNS caching
>
> === RelEng ===
> * '''Blocking'''
> ** None?
> * '''Blocked'''
> ** [https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/328191/ Selenium tests ported from
> Ruby → Nodejs] Could use review
> ** [https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T159332 PuppetDB in beta flapping]
>
> === Tech Ops ===
> * Blockers: none
> * Blocked: none
> * Updates:
> ** fluorine deprecated in favour of mwlog1001
> ** Auditing capacity in codfw before April datacenter switchover
> ** DNS discovery https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149617
> ** Precise deprecation work continues in prod and labs
>
> === Fundraising Tech ===
> * No blockers
> * DonationInterface
> ** deployed first use of new Ingenico API
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T128692
> ** fixing display of unsupported currency conversion notice:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T98447
> * CiviCRM
> ** fixing some blank address bugs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.
> org/T159402
> ** more tweaks to matching gift import:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T115044
> * CentralNotice:
> ** Need advice from traffic / Varnish folks on cache purges:
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154954
> ** Need help from core team with message cache update slowness
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T158084
> * Finishing up PCI compliance paperwork
>
> === Discovery ===
> * No blockers
> * ES5 upgrade process starting Monday with codfw cluster, see full plan at
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157479
> ** This will also enable run-time indexing for completion suggester
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T154503
> * Results from sister wiki search A/B tests being analyzed
> * Working on wikidata search
>
> == German Technical Wishlist ==
> * Working with suggestions we got to make RevisionSlider touch friendly.
> * Working out a plan for an actual Special:Search form extension.
>
> == Wikidata ==
> * Figuring out how to update our giant wb_terms table (T159851)
> * Migrated all special pages to OOUI (T48248), working on also using OOUI
> on the undo interface
> * Baseline to link to Data:….map pages on Commons is done (T57549)
> * Review-queue we build to fully support new entity types is pretty much
> merged.
> * Working out a plan for sub-entity support for Wiktionary.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Andre Klapper-2
On Fri, 2017-03-10 at 17:25 -0800, Pine W wrote:
> I have a question. Is there a list somewhere of who should be contacted
> with questions about a particular project or team? Some WMF people are very
> good about responding to emails or talk page inquiries, while other
> people's inboxes seem to be black holes and they may or may not respond to
> inquiries on their talk pages.

In technical areas, I'd expect the team/group subpages linked on top of
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
to provide contact information.

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Pine W
Aha, that's helpful. Thanks Andre.

Grace, may I request that you include a link to that page in future issues
of Scrum of Scrums, perhaps under a heading something like "Contact info"?
Alternatively, you could include links to team-level pages underneath each
heading.

Thanks,

Pine


On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-03-10 at 17:25 -0800, Pine W wrote:
> > I have a question. Is there a list somewhere of who should be contacted
> > with questions about a particular project or team? Some WMF people are
> very
> > good about responding to emails or talk page inquiries, while other
> > people's inboxes seem to be black holes and they may or may not respond
> to
> > inquiries on their talk pages.
>
> In technical areas, I'd expect the team/group subpages linked on top of
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering
> to provide contact information.
>
> Cheers,
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Andre Klapper-2
On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 20:02 -0800, Pine W wrote:
> Aha, that's helpful. Thanks Andre.
>
> Grace, may I request that you include a link to that page in future issues
> of Scrum of Scrums, perhaps under a heading something like "Contact info"?
> Alternatively, you could include links to team-level pages underneath each
> heading.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums now links to that page
in the first line. I'd call that sufficient.

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Pine W
Thanks for adding the link. I think that including it in the email
summaries would be valuable as well, for people who receive the email
summaries and would like to ask questions about specific projects but might
feel uncomfortable with replying to the thread or aren't sure where and how
to ask a question.

Pine


On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 20:02 -0800, Pine W wrote:
> > Aha, that's helpful. Thanks Andre.
> >
> > Grace, may I request that you include a link to that page in future
> issues
> > of Scrum of Scrums, perhaps under a heading something like "Contact
> info"?
> > Alternatively, you could include links to team-level pages underneath
> each
> > heading.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums now links to that page
> in the first line. I'd call that sufficient.
>
> andre
> --
> Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: 2017-03-08 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Grace Gellerman
Thanks, Andre!

Pine:
I added the link <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering> to
our template which is where the different teams add their content each
week.  I copy that content to both the email and to the version of the
notes that I publish on mediawiki, so it should be part of the email from
now on.

Thanks!


On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for adding the link. I think that including it in the email
> summaries would be valuable as well, for people who receive the email
> summaries and would like to ask questions about specific projects but might
> feel uncomfortable with replying to the thread or aren't sure where and how
> to ask a question.
>
> Pine
>
>
> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Andre Klapper <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2017-03-11 at 20:02 -0800, Pine W wrote:
> > > Aha, that's helpful. Thanks Andre.
> > >
> > > Grace, may I request that you include a link to that page in future
> > issues
> > > of Scrum of Scrums, perhaps under a heading something like "Contact
> > info"?
> > > Alternatively, you could include links to team-level pages underneath
> > each
> > > heading.
> >
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums now links to that page
> > in the first line. I'd call that sufficient.
> >
> > andre
> > --
> > Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Loading...