2017-07-05 Scrum of Scrums notes

Grace Gellerman
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-07-05

*= **2017-07-05** =*
contact: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering

== Callouts ==
* codfw row B switch upgrade on July 12th
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169345
* Beta thumbnail issues persist (pinging people at random on IRC but if you
can help, please do): https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169114
* HTML5 sections need your review, also make sure your team is prepared to
them: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152540
* Scoring Platform
   ** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167910 - We need to know in which
direction to go with our MW preferences pane.
   ** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169247 - How should we keep our
labs and production boxes up-to-date?

== Audiences ==
=== Readers ===
==== iOS native app ====
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates: Released 5.5.0, 5.5.1 (minor bug fixes) releasing today (7/5),
Continuing work on 5.6 (on this day, UI themes)

==== Android native app ====
* Blocked by: n/a
* Blocking: n/a
* Updates: (all ongoing)
** reading list syncing UI work is nearly done; on deck: ZIM support
** Stephen working on cross-platform CSS/JS consolidation
** engineer interviews in progress

==== Reading Web ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== Multimedia ====
* Blocked by: Beta thumbnail issues persist (pinging people at random on
IRC but if you can help, please do):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169114
* Blocking: N/A
* Updates:

==== Discovery ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Community Tech ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Work on HTML5 section IDs ( https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T152540 )
is close to conclusion - please review/comment
** Plans to roll out CodeMirror to testwiki this Wednesday

=== Contributors ===
==== Editing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking: None known.
* Updates:

==== Parsing ====
* Nothing from us this week

==== Collaboration ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking: Working to support dump refactoring involving Flow
* Updates:
** Various improvements and fixes for RCFilters, mostly user-facing (e.g.
moving legend and UI fixes).
** Initial version of Article Reminder featured merged.  This is an
Outreachy feature to allow requesting an Echo reminder about a particular
page.  This is in progress and disabled by default behind a feature flag.
** Improved UI for the feature that allows blacklisting Echo notifications
from particular users.
** Minor additional UI fix to Echo

==== Language ====
* Blocked by:
** Security: review of https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/363156/ would be
nice. Context https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169295
* Blocking:
** None known
* Updates:
** Working with visual editor people to determine how to integrate it as a
surface for CX2

==== Contributors Design ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

==== UI Standardization ====
* Updates:
** This week: Further aligning OOjs UI with WikimediaUI Base
** No OOjs UI release last two weeks, upcoming week v0.22.3 will take place
from current planning. Changes in v0.22.2:
** WikimediaUI theme: Use icon instead of indicator in
Tag-/CapsuleItemWidget
** WikimediaUI: Strengthen Radio*Widget's `:checked` state
** Rewrite all styling for "outline controls" (Bartosz Dziewoński)
** OOjs UI demos: Allow linking to specific widgets (Bartosz Dziewoński)

== Technology ==
=== Analytics ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking: Kaldari's team with ACTRIAL data issues in eventbus
* Updates:
  * Still working on eventlogging purging of data, troubleshooting issues
with database to be able to run purging in bulk
  * FYI, We will be short two people this quarter, paternity leave
  * Working with kaldari in fixing some issues with data for ACTRIAL for
autoconfirmed users, both in data lake and eventbus
  *  Waiting on final vetting of project-family unique devices. That is
unqiue devices on *.wikipedia.org for example, overall deduplicated
  * Work for provisioning new kafka cluster on pause due to vacation
  * work continues on wikistats  2.0 UI

=== Cloud Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Updates:
** Third-party mailer integration with CRM almost ready for prime time
** deploying some big-ish changes to payment notification listener and job
runner
** just about done with the preliminaries for using our card processor's
new API, starting on the real work

=== MediaWiki Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Performance ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Release Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Research ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:

=== Scoring Platform ===
* Blocked by:
    ** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167910 - We need to know in which
direction to go with our MW preferences pane.
    ** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169247 - How should we keep our
labs and production boxes up-to-date?
* Blocking:
    ** Collaboration may want to take over the MW UI pieces of our
extension, but first we need to formally define the features we care about.
* Updates:
    ** Thank you to Ops, who got our new service boxes set up faster than
we were able to keep track of.

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
    ** "Explore similar" A/B test (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T149809)
    ** Continuing work on ML-assisted search ranking (load tests are ok:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169002)
    ** Working on Japanese analyzers (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T166731)
    ** Wikidata search code merged, proceeding to tuning the profiles
    ** Working on the fix for phrase search without Cirrus (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167798) - currently broken but we have
potential fix

=== Security ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
    ** Reviewing redaction on public labs (cloud?) views
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169665 + some other bugs.
    ** Review of  Security review of Ex:JsonConfig/Ex:Kartographer
interaction upcoming https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T163827
    ** Some discussion about new captchas
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T125132

=== Services ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
  ** working on container based dev env:
https://github.com/wikimedia/mediawiki-containers

=== Technical Operations ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** partial ganeti outage
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20170629-ganeti
** labstore outage after kernel upgrade
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20170629-Labstore_Kernel_Upgrade
** codfw row B switch upgrade on July 12th
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169345

== Wikidata ==
* No blockers.
* Continuing on the Lexeme extension.
* Almost ready to migrate from Constraints defined via templates (on
property talk pages) to statements (on properties):
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T102759

== German Technical Wishlist ==
* No blockers.
* Voting phase is over. Currently collecting devs/PM/community managers
input on the top 10.
* Be aware we are changing the wikidiff2 PHP extension (written in C++) the
Wikimedia cluster is using for all diffing. Moved paragraphs will be shown
as edited (including inline changes) instead of removed and newly added
paragraphs: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T146781