2017-09-27 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2017-09-27 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Grace Gellerman
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-09-27

= 2017-09-27 =
contact: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Engineering


== Callouts ==
* Selenium Ruby framework deprecation (September)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/75/selenium_ruby_framework_deprecation_september/
* Discovery: Maps: Figuring out what to do with code no one on the team is
in charge of
* New linter category coming up - html5-misnesting - which triggers when
misnested tags behave different in Tidy vs. HTML5 (<span> is notably one of
them).
*Eventlogging purging progressing much too slowly, it is becoming clear we
cannot sustain mysql backend for EventLogging, we are prioritizing
sunsetting mysql, replacing it with a better EventLogging analytics
experience on the Hadoop cluster
*Please resolve comments that can be resolved in proposal of redesign of
Scrum of Scrums meeting:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11gMloAKqtOJsKaDhpx_oIE8-vXvJs7pyLsDhqikaG08/edit?ts=59b0e080


== Technology ==

   -

=== Analytics ===
* Blockers: none
* Updates
**Working full steam to hit our goal of having a backend for wikistats 2.0
to support editing metrics (unique devices and pageviews are alredy
supported on ui). It is looking like we are going to split our current
druid cluster (6 hosts) into two clusters: one private, one public so
restbase services connect to public cluster.  The security concerns arising
from this decision will probably make the goal spill into next quarter but
we will have an alpha next quarter if no suprises arise.
**We have use differential for 1 quarter and we are going back to gerrit,
not much value added.
**Eventlogging purging progressing much too slowly, it is becoming clear we
cannot sustain mysql backend for EventLogging, we are prioritizing
sunsetting mysql, replacing it with a better EventLogging analytics
experience on the Hadoop cluster
**Removing outdated instrumentation of events from EventLogging that are
now automagically available via eventbus, like “page create”.
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/379137/

== Audiences ==

=== Readers ===

==== Multimedia ====
* Pushing out 3D to test/test2 today (Wednesday)
* Need read-only time on s4 for a schema change related to 3D (adding a new
media type)
* Beginning work on MediaInfo extension for Wikibase, which will continue
for some time.

==== iOS native app ====
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
** Finally released 5.6.1 with minor bug fixes (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2898/ )
** Continuing work on 5.7.0 (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2899/ ) - Onboarding
updates, Improved analytics, iOS 11 support, iPhone X support

====Discovery====
* Putting together plan for automating portal deployments
=====Maps=====
* nodejs 6.11 done
* Figuring out what to do with code no one on the team is in charge of

==== Web ====
* Turning off OCG. Investigating using chromium for printing.

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* MCS: Dealing with sectioning issues before Parsoid adds <section> tags
* Reading Lists: finishing RESTBase part; MediaWiki part going through
security review

=== Contributors ===
==== Global Collaboration ====
===== Language =====
* Blocked:
** Request services in help to debug:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T173801 This again blocks cxserver
deployment(s)
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** CX-VE work continue: saving, restoring.
** cxserver now using readable and splitted registry files.

===== Collaboration =====
* Updates
** RCFilters:
*** Features
**** {{git|b747307a}} - WLFilters: Live update and View newest
({{phabricator|T176348}})
**** {{git|5c499174}} - RCFilters: Make 'lastRevision' filter include
non-rev types ({{phabricator|T176328}})
*** Bug fixes
**** {{git|f1340739}} - RCFilters: restore watch/unwatch link
({{phabricator|T176264}})
**** {{git|a0c00f00}} - RCFilters: Make the interface not jump around while
loading ({{phabricator|T176300}})
**** {{git|78703ae9}} - RCFilters: Don't grey out results area when
initializing, unless there's a default saved query ({{phabricator|T173533}})
*** Performance
**** {{git|0005805a}} - RCFilters: Cache
ChangesListSpecialPage::buildChangeTagList() ({{phabricator|T176652}})
**** {{git|32e6b77d}} - RCFilters: Log performance data
({{phabricator|T176652}})
**** {{git|20bcfec0}} - RCFilters: Don't load all of OOUI
**** {{git|8de793cb}} - RCFilters: Make live update polling configurable


==== Parsing ====
* New linter category coming up
** html5-misnesting: This triggers when misnested tags behave different in
Tidy vs. HTML5 (<span> is notably one of them).
* Repeat update from last week as an FYI
** Heads up for Parsoid clients (VE, CX, Flow, MCS)
*** <section> wrapping code is now out of WIP and in review (
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/364933/) -- please test your code to
make sure you can handle <section> wrappers. If necessary, you can
pre-process the DOM to strip out <section> tags. Parsoid's output is
guaranteed to preserve template wrapping semantics with / without <section>
tags. Parsoid can also accept DOMs with / without <section> tags (for
serializing back to wikitext).
*** We plan to switch Parsoid DOM output to use <figure-inline> tags
instead of <span> for inline images (
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/370227/ ) -- please test your code to
make sure you can handle the new markup. VE can handle this.

=== Community Tech ===
* Blocking: none
* Blocked by: none
* Report:
** Currently populating ip_changes
** Working on GlobalPreferences
** HTML5 sections IDs are in stage 1 population

=== Services ===
* Not attending
* Blockers: none
* Updates
** All mobile traffic served from the new Cassandra 3 cluster exclusively
** Preparing to test Parsoid with Cassandra 3

=== Technical Operations ===
* '''Blocked''':
** Flow dumps speed issue still, waiting on Collab Team T164262
* '''Blocking''':
** None
* Updates
** Resuming Asia DC work
** Salt removal ongoing, almost fully done
** Possibly fixed a long standing varnish issue with mailbox lags

=== Scoring Platform ===
* Blocked by: none.
* Blocking:  Still blocking ORES deployment to the new cluster.
* Updates:
    ** Working on the statistics-derived thresholds changes, on the
MediaWiki side now.  This is a blocker to us releasing the next major
version of ORES.  Deployment will be messy since the new code breaks v1 of
the API.

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
* Explore similar language links test concluded. Unfortunately, the result
was negative - this functionality doesn't seem to be used by real users.
** Widgets are still available for users that want to experiment with them
(see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates/2017-09-18#Highlights)
* Announced turning of usage of messaging language fallbacks for analysis (
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Discovery/Disabling_Messaging_Fallbacks_for_Language_Analysis
 )
* Running A/B test on ML ranking for top 18 wikis
* Chinese & Hebrew wikis were reindexed, which means they now have new
analyzers enabled
* Vagrant setups now have new language plugins
* Working on porting Selenium tests from Ruby to JS
* Working on upgrade to Elastic 5.5

== RelEng ==
* Blocking
** None?
* Blocked
** None
* Updates
** Selenium Ruby framework deprecation (September)
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/75/selenium_ruby_framework_deprecation_september/
*** "This is your friendly but penultimate warning..."
** 1.30 REL branch cut last week, 1.31-alpha/1.31.0-wmf.1 starting this week

== Fundraising Tech ==
* Quieting down error logs by fixing small bugs
* Refining fraud detection
* Handling more conflicts in CiviCRM contact deduplication
* Moving last ganglia bits over to Prometheus
* Deploying CentralNotice bug fixes
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2017-09-27 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Federico Leva (Nemo)
 > Turning off OCG. Investigating using chromium for printing.

The first sentence is unclear. I think it means "We would like to turn
off OCG" (i.e. "replace OCG"), where the second sentence indicates a
step to that purpose. Please confirm.

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2017-09-27 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Bryan Davis
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Turning off OCG. Investigating using chromium for printing.
>
> The first sentence is unclear. I think it means "We would like to turn off
> OCG" (i.e. "replace OCG"), where the second sentence indicates a step to
> that purpose. Please confirm.

The best description I can find in Phabricator for "Turning off OCG"
is <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T150871>. There is also
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/PDF_Functionality>.

There was also a blurb in Tech News
(<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2017/37>):

> You can't use OCG to create PDFs after 1 October. This is because
> of technical problems. You can use Electron instead. Most PDFs are
> already created with Electron. Electron will get missing features
> before 1 October. You can create books but they will not have all
> planned features until November or December. You can read more on
> mediawiki.org.

Hopefully someone working on the project can give pointers to the
chromium investigation.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <[hidden email]>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Cloud Services          Boise, ID USA
irc: bd808                                        v:415.839.6885 x6855

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2017-09-27 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Andre Klapper-2
On Thu, 2017-09-28 at 11:01 -0600, Bryan Davis wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> > > Turning off OCG. Investigating using chromium for printing.
> >
> Hopefully someone working on the project can give pointers to the
> chromium investigation.

Probably https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T176627

andre
--
Andre Klapper | Wikimedia Bugwrangler
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l