2017-10-25 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

2017-10-25 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Grace Gellerman
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2017-10-25

= 2017-10-25 =

== Callouts ==
* Services are running a new JobQueue test in beta cluster, so if you see
anything strange in beta - please notify
* Mukunda broke scap in beta, will get it fixed soon!

== Audiences ==

=== Readers ===

==== Multimedia ====
* Blocking: None
* Blocked by: None
* Updates: MediaInfo/Wikibase on Commons work is continuing,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177022
* UploadWizard changes for 3D legal considerations,
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178513
* and discussions about MP3.
* Heads up: Mark on vacation next week, plus three days in the following
week - will respond but may be AFK

==== iOS native app ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Apps offsite last week
** 5.7.0 will be released this week (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2899/ ) - Visual updates to
onboarding, iOS 11 support, iPhone X support
** Starting work on 5.7.1 -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/3047/  and 5.8 -
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/2913/

==== Reading Web ====
- currently offsite-ing

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Reading lists available in beta & labs:
https://restbase-reading.wmflabs.org/en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/v1/ +
http://readinglists.wmflabs.org/api/rest_v1/#/Reading_lists

==== Discovery ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
    * continuing work on portal automation, general clean-ups, adding SVGs

=== Contributors ===

==== Parsing ====
* Blocked by: Parsoid debian package upload blocked by change needed to the
deb-upload script (Daniel Zahn replied on IRC y'day as he was rushing to
catch a flight that the release server has changed). But, not sure if
anything is needed on our end or will Ops fix this? I can create a phab
ticket if required.
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Parsing team back from offsite (last week). Nothing significant to
report for purposes of SoS. Focusing on some perf work this week.

==== Services ====
* Blockers: none
* Updates:
    ** All jobs in beta cluster are processed via kafka as a test. Please
tell us if you notice anything weird
    ** Deprecated /titile/ and /title/{title}/ listings in REST API has
been removed

=== Community Tech ===
* Preparing for a  new wishlist survey
* Deploying Unicode sections soon

=== TechOps ===
* Blocked by:
** Flow isAllowed gets actual revision text before it is needed
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T172025
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Procurement for Asia datacenter has started
** We have IP addresses allocated
** Work on unifying production and CI build pipeline ongoing
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177276
** Database shard s5 split into s8 ongoing
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T172679
** Work on porting varnish request stats scripts to Prometheus
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177199
** Puppet modernization ongoing https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177254

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
* Finished removal of messaging fallbacks from Elastic indexing (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177871)
* Relaxing phrase query filter A/B finished, analyzing (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T177956)
* Checked language analyzers to see whether we want to research other
morphological libraries (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T171652)
** See the plan in https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T171652#3707331
* Looking at top abandoned queries (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T176997)
* Extended a set of default search namespaces on several wikis (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T170473)
* Enabled stricter throttling on WDQS to deal with clients that issue tons
of short requests very fast
* Enabling ElasticSearch prefix search on Wikidata today
* Working on porting Selenium tests from Ruby to JS
* Working on upgrade to Elastic 5.5
* Working on indexing Wikidata descriptions and adding them to fulltext
search

=== Release Engineering ===
* Blocked by: None
* Blocking: None
* Updates:
 ** Mukunda broke scap in beta, will get it fixed soon! (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T179013 )
 ** Deployment logspam is mostly quiet, except one non-deployment related
log from the tidy migration (Parsing/MW Platform know)
 ** Zeljko paired with Elena T. to get some Echo notification browser tests
written (nodejs/mocha framework).
 ** Zeljko scheduled a Tech Talk on Oct 31st to discuss/teach the nodejs
browser testing framework.
 ** Scap tech-debt project well underway, merged many improvements last week
 ** new/docker based CI: the phan job is now migrated
 ** Gerrit was upgraded last week (minor version)
 ** Working on git-lfs (large file store, for big binary blobs) support in
Gerrit for ORES and Reading teams
 ** Redesigned (simplified) the Phabricator login screen <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/D831>, should be deployed soon.

=== Security ===
* Blocked by: None
* Blocking: whowever is waiting for security reviews
* Updates:
  * Node Security Project 3.0.0 being released soon (available as nsp@next);
please consider upgrading if you work on Node.js-based projects
  * Reviews:
    * pdfrw
     * more will be scheduled soon

== Wikidata ==
* Preparing WikidataCon:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikidataCon_2017
* We will live-stream the main tracks on Saturday and Sunday:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:WikidataCon_2017/Program/Remote

Re: 2017-10-25 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Thanks. "Procurement for Asia datacenter has started" is big news! Is
energy efficiency a criterion for the product/supplier selection?

(This needs not be something very complicated. For instance Dell asks a
small surcharge if you want a more efficient PSU, IIRC.
<http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukbsdt1/help-me-choose/hmc-power-supply-unit-12g?ref=CFG>)

Nemo

Re: 2017-10-25 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes

Mark Bergsma-2
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks. "Procurement for Asia datacenter has started" is big news! Is
> energy efficiency a criterion for the product/supplier selection?
>
> (This needs not be something very complicated. For instance Dell asks a
> small surcharge if you want a more efficient PSU, IIRC. <
> http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukbsdt1/help-me-choose/hmc-
> power-supply-unit-12g?ref=CFG>)

We buy servers from two standard vendors (Dell and HP), and select the most
energy-efficient components (including PSUs) available for the task - not
only because it's better for the environment, but also because it allows us
to achieve higher rack density (more servers within the same space) and
therefore also saves costs over time.

These server configurations have been carefully sized, selected and
tested/measured in practice with actual work loads to provide the most
optimal usage of resources. For example, through consolidation and
optimization of cache clusters onto fewer, but somewhat higher capacity new
servers we've reduced the amount of equipment and power required to
approximately 60%, also shrinking data center space, supportive
infrastructure and management needs in the process.

--
Mark Bergsma <[hidden email]>
Lead Operations Architect