3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

Subhashish Panigrahi
Hi folks,

Good morning from Odia Wiki Community.

Yesterday we had a small meetup to celebrate the "1500 articles Celebration" attended by 6 old and 1 new Wikipedians.

Agenda:
Current status: The substantial growth and the initiatives taken to improve the status of Odia Wikipedia was discussed. Odia Wikipedia was dormant for almost 8 years which just started reviving itself in the beginning of this year and made a leap of almost 1000 well written articles in this short span with the bandwidth of a small community with less active members. Bangalore was the stepping stone for the revival of Odia Wikipedia and in the 3rd Bangalore Wikipedia Meetup we have celebrated 1500 articles.

Projects:

Discussion regarding 2 ongoing projects.
Odia loves Wikipedia: An event in Commons to bring out media files uploaded by Odia Wikians. This event has reached 351 media files.

Wikipedia for Odia Literature: An event which is created to uplift the presence of Odia language and literature in Wikipedia, chronological documentations and media files collection. This is running in both in the Wikipedia as well as Commons. Under this event Odia Wikipedia has attained 131 articles in Odia Wikipedia and 37 images in Commons.

Further plans:
The next target was set up with attaining 500 more articles to beat Gurumukhi Wikipedia which presently has 2003 articles as both of these Wikipedias took birth in the same time.

We also have discussed to discourage creation of stubs without taking care of them for further expansion, creation and used of templates, categories, good citaions.

Plans for more outreach programs by collaborating the Odia literature departments of several known colleges and universities was also talked of.

Wikipedians debated how Wikipedia could be a fair and reliable source and at times how much beneficial it'd be when most of today's generation are moving out of books and internet has become a repository of unending knowledge and its regional context when an ancient language like Odia is considered, whether or not it is needed to work for Wikipedia, or find any better alternative.

Thank you all for reading. Expecting your valuable feedback and comments

ସୁଭପାSubhashishPanigrahi
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

facebook.com/OdiaWiki
Tweet @OdiaWiki

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

Gautam John
Thank you, Subhashish, for the report.

Really great to see the growth of a Wikipedia once the community
becomes active.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

On 29 August 2011 14:41, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Good morning from Odia Wiki Community.
>
> Yesterday we had a small meetup to celebrate the "1500 articles Celebration"
> attended by 6 old and 1 new Wikipedians.
>
> Agenda:
> Current status: The substantial growth and the initiatives taken to improve
> the status of Odia Wikipedia was discussed. Odia Wikipedia was dormant for
> almost 8 years which just started reviving itself in the beginning of this
> year and made a leap of almost 1000 well written articles in this short span
> with the bandwidth of a small community with less active members. Bangalore
> was the stepping stone for the revival of Odia Wikipedia and in the 3rd
> Bangalore Wikipedia Meetup we have celebrated 1500 articles.
>
> Projects:
> Discussion regarding 2 ongoing projects.
> Odia loves Wikipedia: An event in Commons to bring out media files uploaded
> by Odia Wikians. This event has reached 351 media files.
>
> Wikipedia for Odia Literature: An event which is created to uplift the
> presence of Odia language and literature in Wikipedia, chronological
> documentations and media files collection. This is running in both in the
> Wikipedia as well as Commons. Under this event Odia Wikipedia has attained
> 131 articles in Odia Wikipedia and 37 images in Commons.
>
> Further plans:
> The next target was set up with attaining 500 more articles to beat
> Gurumukhi Wikipedia which presently has 2003 articles as both of these
> Wikipedias took birth in the same time.
>
> We also have discussed to discourage creation of stubs without taking care
> of them for further expansion, creation and used of templates, categories,
> good citaions.
>
> Plans for more outreach programs by collaborating the Odia literature
> departments of several known colleges and universities was also talked of.
>
> Wikipedians debated how Wikipedia could be a fair and reliable source and at
> times how much beneficial it'd be when most of today's generation are moving
> out of books and internet has become a repository of unending knowledge and
> its regional context when an ancient language like Odia is considered,
> whether or not it is needed to work for Wikipedia, or find any better
> alternative.
>
> Thank you all for reading. Expecting your valuable feedback and comments
>
> ସୁଭପାSubhashishPanigrahi
> ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

Bala Jeyaraman
Good work subhashish,

Have you thought about organising article writing/participation contests?. It is a good way to attract new participants.

regards
Bala

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Gautam John <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you, Subhashish, for the report.

Really great to see the growth of a Wikipedia once the community
becomes active.

Best,

Gautam
________
http://blog.prathambooks.org/p/social-media.html

On 29 August 2011 14:41, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Good morning from Odia Wiki Community.
>
> Yesterday we had a small meetup to celebrate the "1500 articles Celebration"
> attended by 6 old and 1 new Wikipedians.
>
> Agenda:
> Current status: The substantial growth and the initiatives taken to improve
> the status of Odia Wikipedia was discussed. Odia Wikipedia was dormant for
> almost 8 years which just started reviving itself in the beginning of this
> year and made a leap of almost 1000 well written articles in this short span
> with the bandwidth of a small community with less active members. Bangalore
> was the stepping stone for the revival of Odia Wikipedia and in the 3rd
> Bangalore Wikipedia Meetup we have celebrated 1500 articles.
>
> Projects:
> Discussion regarding 2 ongoing projects.
> Odia loves Wikipedia: An event in Commons to bring out media files uploaded
> by Odia Wikians. This event has reached 351 media files.
>
> Wikipedia for Odia Literature: An event which is created to uplift the
> presence of Odia language and literature in Wikipedia, chronological
> documentations and media files collection. This is running in both in the
> Wikipedia as well as Commons. Under this event Odia Wikipedia has attained
> 131 articles in Odia Wikipedia and 37 images in Commons.
>
> Further plans:
> The next target was set up with attaining 500 more articles to beat
> Gurumukhi Wikipedia which presently has 2003 articles as both of these
> Wikipedias took birth in the same time.
>
> We also have discussed to discourage creation of stubs without taking care
> of them for further expansion, creation and used of templates, categories,
> good citaions.
>
> Plans for more outreach programs by collaborating the Odia literature
> departments of several known colleges and universities was also talked of.
>
> Wikipedians debated how Wikipedia could be a fair and reliable source and at
> times how much beneficial it'd be when most of today's generation are moving
> out of books and internet has become a repository of unending knowledge and
> its regional context when an ancient language like Odia is considered,
> whether or not it is needed to work for Wikipedia, or find any better
> alternative.
>
> Thank you all for reading. Expecting your valuable feedback and comments
>
> ସୁଭପାSubhashishPanigrahi
> ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

Arjuna Rao Chavala-2

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

Good morning from Odia Wiki Community.

Yesterday we had a small meetup to celebrate the "1500 articles Celebration" attended by 6 old and 1 new Wikipedians.
--cut--
Nice to see how a bunch of motivated people were able  turn around one of the oldest indic language wikis.

Congratulations and Best Wishes to all the people, participants behind this milestone.

Cheers
Arjun

[...]

wikiodisha1
thank you, subhashish bhai for the report

[...]

Thanks & Regards,
Srikant Kedia
Odia (Oriya) Wikipedia Community

Mail ID - [hidden email]
Facebook- facebook.com/OdiaWiki
Tweet @OdiaWiki

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

wheredevelsdare
+1

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

Shiju Alex
Good work Subhasish and other Odia wiki community members..

Wikipedia for Odia Literature: An event which is created to uplift the presence of Odia language and literature in Wikipedia, chronological documentations and media files collection.
Next step would be requesting for Odia wikisource.

Hope you will be  able to rope in more new users from the Odisha state through various outreach programs.

Shiju

[...]

hisham mundol-2
Heartiest congratulations to the Odia community. It's wonderfully inspiring to see a small Indic wikipedia build up so systematically.  I love the fact that you are focused on building the community and - as a result - able to build quality.

Onwards to the next milestone!  …which is going to be sooner than you plan for, I'm sure.

Warmest Regards,

Hisham Mundol

skype : hisham.wikimedia

twitter : @mundol

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

On Aug 29, 2011, at 2:41 PM, Subhashish Panigrahi wrote:

[...]

ansuman-2
Thanks for all the nice feedback, comments.
Especially thanks to Shiju, Hisham, Tinu, Arjuna, Goutam, CIS and the India chapter.
You all been very supportive and kind. Thanks again.

ansuman

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ansuman Giri
ଓଡ଼ିଆ ଉଇକିପିଡ଼ିଆ
http://about.me/ansuman

facebook.com/OdiaWiki
Tweet @OdiaWiki

Re: 3rd Bangalore Odia Wiki Meetup- Odia Wikipedia reaches 1500 articles

CherianTinu Abraham
Glad to see the great progress by Odia Wikipedia.
Another proof of the need of building active Wiki communities for the growth of the Wikimedia projects.

Well done, Odia Wikipedians !

-Tinu Cherian

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM, ansuman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Arun Ramarathnam
Subashish,

thank you for the detailed repor.

Kudos to all  wikipedians.