403 Error when adding or editing certain pages

403 Error when adding or editing certain pages

Azurite
I don't know why this is happening, but on certain pages in my Wiki
(which is up-to-date with ver. 1.6), whenever someone tries to add a
page or edit them, they get a 403: Access Denied error. I have gotten
this error when logged in from 2 different computers, and logged in (on
both computers) with both a normal account and a SysOp account; another
user has just emailed me saying she got the same error when she tries to
preview or save the page in question. I have now gotten this with 3
different pages on my Wiki, while other pages can be created and edited
just fine. I have tried deleting the pages and starting over, but it
doesn't help.

I've browsed through tons of Media Wiki documentation and other FAQs,
including the archives of this ML, but nothing I find on Access Denied
errors helps or applies to my situation.

Can anyone assist me?
Thanks,
~Azurite

Re: 403 Error when adding or editing certain pages

Brion Vibber
Azurite wrote:
> I don't know why this is happening, but on certain pages in my Wiki
> (which is up-to-date with ver. 1.6), whenever someone tries to add a
> page or edit them, they get a 403: Access Denied error.

This is probably because of a badly configured "security" module on the web
server such as mod_security. (In particular if the page title or contents
contains Unix shell commands, etc.)

Contact your system administrator and ask about this.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: 403 Error when adding or editing certain pages

Azurite
Another user and I found that the error occurred when an edit had been made at a particular point in the page, and we
deduced the reason why certain pages had this problem but others did not is because of words starting with "psy" If no
letters come after the word, there aren't any problems. I experienced a similar error in another PHP script with the words
"curl" and "lynx," and the writers of that script had no solution (other than to not use those words). Hopefully there is
a better solution here....?

All the same, I have submitted a ticket to my administrator, but this new information may affect what the real reason
behind the error is.
~Azurite

/

Azurite wrote:
> Another user and I found that the error occurred when an edit had been made at a particular point in the page, and we
> deduced the reason why certain pages had this problem but others did not is because of words starting with "psy" If no
> letters come after the word, there aren't any problems. I experienced a similar error in another PHP script with the words
> "curl" and "lynx," and the writers of that script had no solution (other than to not use those words). Hopefully there is
> a better solution here....?

This strongly supports my diagnosis of an overzealous "security" tool.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)