503 Backend fetch failed

Bináris
Hi folks,
I got this message while running a bot:
Result: 503 Backend fetch failed

I know HTTP 503 message, but I never got it during botwork. I restarted it
successfully. Is this normal?

--
Bináris

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

John Doe-27
I’ve seen it a number of times often just redoing the request makes it go
away

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I got this message while running a bot:
> Result: 503 Backend fetch failed
>
> I know HTTP 503 message, but I never got it during botwork. I restarted it
> successfully. Is this normal?
>
> --
> Bináris

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

MusikAnimal
There is a similar issue tracked at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T233271.

~MA

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 10:14 AM John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve seen it a number of times often just redoing the request makes it go
> away
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 9:06 AM Bináris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > I got this message while running a bot:
> > Result: 503 Backend fetch failed
> >
> > I know HTTP 503 message, but I never got it during botwork. I restarted
> it
> > successfully. Is this normal?
> >
> > --
> > Bináris

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

Gergő Tisza
503 Backend fetch failed is a generic error message you get when the
application server breaks so badly that it fails to even return an error
message (e.g. PHP fatal errors can do this), so Varnish has to make up its
own error message.

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

David Barratt
If you could provide the URL or the request that might be helpful. I know
for instance that I have sometimes received that error on
https://query.wikidata.org/ when there is a query timeout.

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:35 PM Gergő Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 503 Backend fetch failed is a generic error message you get when the
> application server breaks so badly that it fails to even return an error
> message (e.g. PHP fatal errors can do this), so Varnish has to make up its
> own error message.

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

Bináris
David Barratt <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt. 1., K,
22:57):

> If you could provide the URL or the request that might be helpful. I know
> for instance that I have sometimes received that error on
> https://query.wikidata.org/ when there is a query timeout.

Perhaps it was https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_Studios at around
12:55-56 UTC today.
My console ran out, I searched my command log for duplicate command, that's
why I think, but I am not sure.
Anyway, it was an article of huwiki.
I used category.py of Pywikibot.

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

Bináris
Just another case one minute ago:
HTTPError: HTTP Error 503: Backend fetch failed
ERROR: HTTP Error 503: Backend fetch failed
Saving page [[hu:A Real Madrid CF 2017–2018-as szezonja]] failed!

David Barratt <[hidden email]> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. okt. 1., K,
22:57):

> If you could provide the URL or the request that might be helpful. I know
> for instance that I have sometimes received that error on
> https://query.wikidata.org/ when there is a query timeout.
>
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 4:35 PM Gergő Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > 503 Backend fetch failed is a generic error message you get when the
> > application server breaks so badly that it fails to even return an error
> > message (e.g. PHP fatal errors can do this), so Varnish has to make up
> its
> > own error message.

Bináris

Re: 503 Backend fetch failed

Bináris
It becomes more and more frequent in the last couple of days. This time I
ran into the error in the web browser and got a copyable error message:

If you report this error to the Wikimedia System Administrators, please
include the details below.

Request from 185.199.28.134 via cp1077 cp1077, Varnish XID 728994654
Error: 503, Backend fetch failed at Thu, 03 Oct 2019 12:46:24 GMT