9/11 wikipedia

gediza@gmail.com
9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.

Anyways vote is avalible at:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/9/11_wiki_move_proposal
                          Cool Cat

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Robert S. Horning
[hidden email] wrote:

>9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
>it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
>is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
>which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.
>
>Anyways vote is avalible at:
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/9/11_wiki_move_proposal
>                          Cool Cat

A couple of points to note:  There are competing pages at the moment to
decide exactly what to do with the 9/11 Memorial Wiki.  For example,
this page has been moved all over the place from Wikipedia to a VfD page
on Meta and to the Babel pages and more:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Sep11wiki/Request for deletion

Which page is more appropriate to deal with this issue?  A notice needs to go to all major Wikimedia projects and turn this into a vote for all Wikimedia users somehow, with a notice on the front page of Meta as well.  This is an issue that has been kicking around for some time and the general concensus is to shut down this project in some manner, but exactly how is yet another story.  I am arguing that some consistant forum needs to be established to get this issue decided once and for all.

--
Robert Scott Horning

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Anthony DiPierro
> 9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
> it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
> is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
> which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.
>
> Anyways vote is avalible at:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/9/11_wiki_move_proposal
>                           Cool Cat

I certainly wouldn't characterize it as a "move", as Wikimedia has no
control over what Wikicities does.

Has Wikicities even agreed to host the 9/11 wiki?  Have they agreed to
do so without introducing advertisements into it?

Anthony

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Angela-5
On 1/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has Wikicities even agreed to host the 9/11 wiki?  Have they agreed to
> do so without introducing advertisements into it?

The entire wiki has degenerated into nothing but a magnet for trolls
and vandals. I can't see any reason for Wikicities to host something
which has never had any community behind it. Marshall Poe from
memorywiki.org expressed some interest in it previously. I expect that
would be a better place for it.

Angela

RE: 9/11 wikipedia

mpoe
After a discussion on this list several months ago (two?), we
re-published all the *memoirs* from 9/11 wiki on MemoryWiki (we left the
rest of the content alone as it didn't really fit our site's purpose).
You can see them (among other 9/11 memoirs) at
http://www.memorywiki.org/en/Category:9/11.  Each memoir we re-published
points back to Wikipedia.  We don't have advertising and are non-profit.

Best, Marshall Poe
MemoryWiki

Marshall Poe, Ph.D.
The Atlantic Monthly
600 New Hampshire Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20037
202-266-6511
[hidden email]
On 1/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has Wikicities even agreed to host the 9/11 wiki?  Have they agreed to

> do so without introducing advertisements into it?

The entire wiki has degenerated into nothing but a magnet for trolls and
vandals. I can't see any reason for Wikicities to host something which
has never had any community behind it. Marshall Poe from memorywiki.org
expressed some interest in it previously. I expect that would be a
better place for it.

Angela

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Brion Vibber
[hidden email] wrote:
> 9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
> it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
> is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
> which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.

It's an archive of pages that were removed from Wikipedia. You do know this, right?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Walter van Kalken
Brion Vibber wrote:

>[hidden email] wrote:
>

>>9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
>>it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
>>is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
>>which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.
>>

>It's an archive of pages that were removed from Wikipedia. You do know this, right?
>
>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Yep it is ironic the same happens with other stuff from wikipedia it
gets moved even though groups want to keep and than it gets deleted in
the end because nobody sees it anymore ..... recipes for instance.

Waerth/Walter

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Anthony DiPierro

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > 9-11 wikipedia needs to be moved. I can understand why its usefull and why
> > it should be kept. I lost people I know in the incident as well. However it
> > is impractical to have a memorial wikipedia in wikipedia/wikimedia namespace
> > which is about human knowlege. How people feel about 9/11 is not knowlege.
>
> It's an archive of pages that were removed from Wikipedia. You do know this, right?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

What I want to know is by what logic one can conclude that "How people
feel about 9/11 is not knowlege."  I assume I'm just misreading that
sentence somehow, though, because no one else has challenged that
statement which seems to me to be clearly false.

Anthony

Re: 9/11 wikipedia

Sam Korn
On 1/19/06, Anthony DiPierro <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What I want to know is by what logic one can conclude that "How people
> feel about 9/11 is not knowlege."  I assume I'm just misreading that
> sentence somehow, though, because no one else has challenged that
> statement which seems to me to be clearly false.

Well, it's clearly not knowledge as would be used in other Wikimedia sites.

--
Sam