A New Journal: Wiki Studies

Robert Cummings-2

Hi All:

Given the conversation about fees for publishing articles about Wikipedia in OA journals, I wanted to call your attention to a new journal we are starting, Wiki Studies http://wikistudies.org/

Wiki Studies is an interdisciplinary, open access, peer-reviewed journal focusing on the intersection of Wikipedia and higher education. We are interested in most all of the same topics hosted on the research listserv and the newsletter, including articles about pedagogical practices, epistemology, bias, mission, and reliability. We will not charge for submission or publication, and will offer open access to readers. We will host on Open Journal Systems.

We are just getting started. We are recruiting editors, and plan to have a presence at the upcoming Wiki Conference North America in San Diego 7-10 October 2016. We hope to publish our first volume in March of 2017, consisting of submissions received by 31 December 2016.

Comments, queries, and suggestions all welcome at [hidden email]

Yours,
Bob Cummings

Re: A New Journal: Wiki Studies

Andrew Krizhanovsky
Thank you for this good news about the journal!

But I (as a usual researcher from the usual research Institute) will
be more interested to submit a paper to your journal if you will
manage to index your journal in WebOfScience or Scopus. Is it
possible?

Best regards,
Andrew Krizhanovsky.

On 1 July 2016 at 07:09, Shani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wonderful initiative! Much luck with it.
>
> Shani.
>
> On 1 Jul 2016 01:44, "Robert E. Cummings" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All:
>>
>> Given the conversation about fees for publishing articles about Wikipedia
>> in OA journals, I wanted to call your attention to a new journal we are
>> starting, Wiki Studies http://wikistudies.org/
>>
>> Wiki Studies is an interdisciplinary, open access, peer-reviewed journal
>> focusing on the intersection of Wikipedia and higher education. We are
>> interested in most all of the same topics hosted on the research listserv
>> and the newsletter, including articles about pedagogical practices,
>> epistemology, bias, mission, and reliability. We will not charge for
>> submission or publication, and will offer open access to readers. We will
>> host on Open Journal Systems.
>>
>> We are just getting started. We are recruiting editors, and plan to have a
>> presence at the upcoming Wiki Conference North America in San Diego 7-10
>> October 2016. We hope to publish our first volume in March of 2017,
>> consisting of submissions received by 31 December 2016.
>>
>> Comments, queries, and suggestions all welcome at [hidden email]
>>
>> Yours,
>> Bob Cummings

Re: A New Journal: Wiki Studies

Marcio Goncalves

Great news, Bob.

I will motivate our group of researchers in Brazil to participate. Wait for us!

Marcio Gonçalves
www.ciencianasnuvens.com.br

[...]

Piotr Konieczny-2
Second everything, with a note that sadly, until it is in SSCI, I doubt
I will be able to contribute much :(

Frankly, I wonder if the near impossibility for most new and OA journals
to get into the high-end indices isn't some sort of conspiracy on the
traditional parasites, I mean, publishers part... :>

--

Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny

On 7/1/2016 14:56, Andrew Krizhanovsky wrote:

> Thank you for this good news about the journal!
>
> But I (as a usual researcher from the usual research Institute) will
> be more interested to submit a paper to your journal if you will
> manage to index your journal in WebOfScience or Scopus. Is it
> possible?
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew Krizhanovsky.
>
> On 1 July 2016 at 07:09, Shani <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wonderful initiative! Much luck with it.
>>
>> Shani.
>>
>> On 1 Jul 2016 01:44, "Robert E. Cummings" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi All:
>>>
>>> Given the conversation about fees for publishing articles about Wikipedia
>>> in OA journals, I wanted to call your attention to a new journal we are
>>> starting, Wiki Studies http://wikistudies.org/
>>>
>>> Wiki Studies is an interdisciplinary, open access, peer-reviewed journal
>>> focusing on the intersection of Wikipedia and higher education. We are
>>> interested in most all of the same topics hosted on the research listserv
>>> and the newsletter, including articles about pedagogical practices,
>>> epistemology, bias, mission, and reliability. We will not charge for
>>> submission or publication, and will offer open access to readers. We will
>>> host on Open Journal Systems.
>>>
>>> We are just getting started. We are recruiting editors, and plan to have a
>>> presence at the upcoming Wiki Conference North America in San Diego 7-10
>>> October 2016. We hope to publish our first volume in March of 2017,
>>> consisting of submissions received by 31 December 2016.
>>>
>>> Comments, queries, and suggestions all welcome at [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Yours,
>>> Bob Cummings

Re: A New Journal: Wiki Studies

Kerry Raymond
True, it's probably not in the interests of the traditional publishers, but equally many of the OA journals are very new and may or may not have a sustainable business model. There's not the same level of track record to show whether they attract good papers or are a journal of last resort. The fact that the author pays in some OA journals smells a little of "vanity publishing" (if the journal wants the money, won't they say Yes to lots of papers regardless of merit). OA journals that draw heavily on volunteers rather than paid staff may find the volunteers enthusiasm wanes over time and the journal collapses. Senior academics whose research is published in traditional journals, where they may serve on those editorial boards of those journals, and so on, are often dubious about any new journal (OA or not), and those senior academics are the same people who sit on the committees that decide the "quality" of a journal and sit on selection/promotion committees. So there is a lot of "inertia" in the system around anything new. This creates in turn its own problem, if the older traditional journals are more valued for academic purposes, then they will inevitably attract the better papers, leaving the papers going to the new journals to be more mediocre, which then in turn may give the new journal a mediocre reputation.

I note that all of the above applies to universities too. New universities struggle to attract the best students who tend to be attracted to the proven reputations of older universities. Older universities have bequests and endowments from their early students that newer universities don’t possess. Incumbency is a powerful factor in both universities and in publishing.

But with Wikipedia, we saw incumbency overturned, because, despite the fear of low quality, Wikipedia's availability and price (free!) overtook the old model of encyclopedia. This is what we have to hope for with OA journals. That their availability and price (free!) will make it easier for other researchers to read and then CITE them, leading to a rise in their citation index, which is an important aspect of reputation. But, yes, there's a lag before that happens, and so in that lag time, you need lots researchers committed to OA to publish there or researchers compelled to publish there (thinking of WMF grant conditions).

Kerry