A beginner's question

Alex Brollo
I'd like to install into my toolserver account djvuLibre binaries. Unluckily my knowlege of Unix is very primitive - approaching to nothing.

Is some of you willing to take a look to http://djvu.sourceforge.net/index.html, and to tell me if Solaris 6 (sparc) djvulibre-3.5.5-solaris6-sparc.tar.gz
binary package is the right one? and.... is a good idea to install it into toolserver? finally, if it's a good idea: is there a simple "magic recipe" to install that package in UNIX? I never installed binaries into a unix environment....

Thanks

Alex

Re: A beginner's question

Platonides
Alex Brollo wrote:
> I'd like to install into my toolserver account djvuLibre binaries.
> Unluckily my knowlege of Unix is very primitive - approaching to nothing.
>
> Is some of you willing to take a look to
> http://djvu.sourceforge.net/index.html, and to tell me if
> Solaris 6 (sparc)djvulibre-3.5.5-solaris6-sparc.tar.gz
> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/djvu/djvulibre-3.5.5-solaris6-sparc.tar.gz>
> binary package is the right one?

It is not. Solaris servers are Xeons and Opterons, so binaries for sparc
architecture are not appropiate.

> and.... is a good idea to install it
> into toolserver? finally, if it's a good idea: is there a simple "magic
> recipe" to install that package in UNIX? I never installed binaries into
> a unix environment....

wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/djvu/djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz
tar -xvf djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz
cd djvulibre-3.5.23
./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install
# You can then remove djvulibre-3.5.23 folder and djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz

Re: A beginner's question

Alex Brollo

2011/2/6 Platonides <[hidden email]>
# You can then remove djvulibre-3.5.23 folder and djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz

After a mostly alarming torrent of exoteric output.... it runs! Thanks Platonides!

Alex

Re: A beginner's question

Alex Zaddach
On 2/5/2011 6:03 PM, Platonides wrote:

> Alex Brollo wrote:
>> I'd like to install into my toolserver account djvuLibre binaries.
>> Unluckily my knowlege of Unix is very primitive - approaching to nothing.
>>
>> Is some of you willing to take a look to
>> http://djvu.sourceforge.net/index.html, and to tell me if
>> Solaris 6 (sparc)djvulibre-3.5.5-solaris6-sparc.tar.gz
>> <http://downloads.sourceforge.net/djvu/djvulibre-3.5.5-solaris6-sparc.tar.gz>
>> binary package is the right one?
>
> It is not. Solaris servers are Xeons and Opterons, so binaries for sparc
> architecture are not appropiate.
>
>> and.... is a good idea to install it
>> into toolserver? finally, if it's a good idea: is there a simple "magic
>> recipe" to install that package in UNIX? I never installed binaries into
>> a unix environment....
>
> wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/djvu/djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz
> tar -xvf djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz
> cd djvulibre-3.5.23
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> make
> make install
> # You can then remove djvulibre-3.5.23 folder and djvulibre-3.5.23.tar.gz

Or just file a JIRA ticket to have it installed for everyone.

--
Alex (wikipedia:en:User:Mr.Z-man)

Re: A beginner's question

Alex Brollo

2011/2/6 Alex <[hidden email]>

Or just file a JIRA ticket to have it installed for everyone.

Some day I'll understand such a statement "file a JIRA ticket". By now, aramaic is much be simpler. :-)

No matter.... I think that I'm the only one user in toolserver, going into mysteries of djvu files while being so unskilled about unix environment. Any other user who will need djvulibre, will know perfectly how to compile it, and what a JIRA ticket is. :-)

(I see there's another Alex, I've to remember to sign with my whole nick...)

Alex brollo

Re: A beginner's question

Jeremy Baron
On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM, Alex Brollo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/6 Alex <[hidden email]>
>> Or just file a JIRA ticket to have it installed for everyone.
>
> Some day I'll understand such a statement "file a JIRA ticket". By now,
> aramaic is much be simpler. :-)
>
> No matter.... I think that I'm the only one user in toolserver, going into
> mysteries of djvu files while being so unskilled about unix environment. Any
> other user who will need djvulibre, will know perfectly how to compile it,
> and what a JIRA ticket is. :-)
>
> (I see there's another Alex, I've to remember to sign with my whole nick...)
>
> Alex brollo

Looks like https://jira.toolserver.org/browse/TS/component/10000 is
the component.

Go to https://jira.toolserver.org/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?pid=10000&issuetype=3
, fill in "software installation" under components and add details
about what you need.

Re: A beginner's question

Aryeh Gregor
On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:06 PM, Alex Brollo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Some day I'll understand such a statement "file a JIRA ticket". By now,
> aramaic is much be simpler. :-)

לישנא דארמאי לא קשיא לחדא.

:)

Re: A beginner's question