A call to vandalize Wikipedia

David Gerard-2
I had a glance at the history on [[Short story]] and couldn't spot the
alleged edits. Anyone else got any ideas? A public call to vandalism
deserves a reply.

- d.

Sunday Times (London) June 10, 2007

Online disinformation

WICKEDLY INACCURATE? As a member of the Society of Authors, I felt it
my duty to correct Wikipedia creative-writing articles which stated "a
short story can be anywhere between 5,000 and 50,000 words" or had
grammatical errors, such as "Mary laid on her bed". The originator had
included the following invitation: "I hope someone would (sic) feel
free to add concepts and examples." I took him at his word, and
edited. The next day all my edits had been reversed.

Anyone dismayed by this "dictatorship of idiots" should not waste time
on futile attempts to turn Wikipedia into a reliable source. Instead,
help it to self-destruct by adding misinformation. Wikipedia has no
mechanism to deal with this other than the army of itchy-fingered
know-it-alls who know nothing.

Margret Geraghty Chandlers Ford, Hampshire

- d.

Re: A call to vandalize Wikipedia

Chris McKenna
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, David Gerard wrote:

> I had a glance at the history on [[Short story]] and couldn't spot the
> alleged edits. Anyone else got any ideas? A public call to vandalism
> deserves a reply.
>

> - d.

A google search on the phrase ""I hope someone would feel free to add
concepts and examples." finds only one page on the net -
[[User:Mazeface]]. That page starts "I am a graphic designer and web
designer. I am also an adjunct creative writing instructor. I enjoy
writing, drawing, painting, weightlifting and running."

The history includes this series of edit summaries:
# (cur) (last)  11:40, 22 January 2007 Mazeface (Talk | contribs | block)
(rvv)
# (cur) (last) 09:54, 22 January 2007 Side2winder (Talk | contribs |
block) (I don't think she'll understand previous edit. You need to
explain. Either, 'I hope someone will' or 'I hoped someone would'. Hope is
about something that 'will' or 'might' happen.)
# (cur) (last) 09:31, 22 January 2007 85.210.60.174 (Talk | block)
(Forgive me, mazeface, but you don't understand your tenses. It makes you
look foolish in the eyes of a linguist.)
# (cur) (last) 12:00, 21 January 2007 Mazeface (Talk | contribs | block)
(rvv)
# (cur) (last) 10:40, 21 January 2007 86.137.111.167 (Talk | block)
(incorrect use of 'should'.)

Which looks to be a pretty good match for what was described.

Chris

--
Chris McKenna

[hidden email]
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna

but with the heart

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Re: A call to vandalize Wikipedia

Theresa Knott
On 6/12/07, Chris McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which looks to be a pretty good match for what was described.

A long time ago though.

Theresa

Re: A call to vandalize Wikipedia

Scott Keir
She made a similar comment on this March article (though the Times doesn't say
when the comment was made):
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article1457697.ece
or http://tinyurl.com/3ad5px
which refers to Mazeface...

--- David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had a glance at the history on [[Short story]] and couldn't spot the
> alleged edits. Anyone else got any ideas? A public call to vandalism
> deserves a reply.
>

> - d.
>

> Sunday Times (London) June 10, 2007
>
> Online disinformation
>
> WICKEDLY INACCURATE? As a member of the Society of Authors, I felt it
> my duty to correct Wikipedia creative-writing articles which stated "a
> short story can be anywhere between 5,000 and 50,000 words" or had
> grammatical errors, such as "Mary laid on her bed". The originator had
> included the following invitation: "I hope someone would (sic) feel
> free to add concepts and examples." I took him at his word, and
> edited. The next day all my edits had been reversed.
>
> Anyone dismayed by this "dictatorship of idiots" should not waste time
> on futile attempts to turn Wikipedia into a reliable source. Instead,
> help it to self-destruct by adding misinformation. Wikipedia has no
> mechanism to deal with this other than the army of itchy-fingered
> know-it-alls who know nothing.
>
> Margret Geraghty Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
>

> - d.

Re: A call to vandalize Wikipedia

Steve Block-3
David Gerard wrote:
> I had a glance at the history on [[Short story]] and couldn't spot the
> alleged edits. Anyone else got any ideas? A public call to vandalism
> deserves a reply.

Thanks to Chris' post, I think the picture becomes a little clearer
looking at the contributions of the IP 86.137.111.167
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/86.137.111.167

That maybe sheds a little more light.  The one at
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fiction_writing&diff=prev&oldid=102031847
refers to lengths of short stories.  I think there's some faulty memory
at work along with some misunderstanding of Wikipedia.

Birmingham meetup

Chris McKenna
The date of the meetup of UK Wikimedians in Birmingham has been
provisionally set (by me, based on teh votes) to be Saturday 20th October
2007.

You have until at least Friday to register/change your
opinions/availability at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Birmingham_2#Date_vote if
you haven't already.

Chris