A difficult goodbye

Victoria Coleman
Dear all,

I have some difficult news to share.

A few months ago and completely out of the blue, an opportunity came up for me to exercise the full spectrum of my skills as the CEO of an early stage mission oriented startup. It has been a mighty struggle between my commitment to my team, the Foundation and  the movement and this opportunity to bring all my skills to bear and build something from the ground up to do good in the world. I will not lie to you - it has not been easy. But ultimately I decided that I have to give it a go and I accepted the offer. I plan on starting there on Feb 4th so my last day at the Foundation will be Feb 1st.

These past two years have been amongst the most enjoyable in my professional career. I’ve enjoyed getting to know the movement and what fuels it and I’ve been incredibly privileged to work with a Tech team like no other. We have together strengthened the technical infrastructure of the movement and while much work remains to be done we have a much stronger team in place to take the mission to the next level. And I have personally made friendships that will last a lifetime.

The organization I will be moving to is Atlas AI, a public benefit corporation supported by the Rockefeller Foundation. I will be leading an exceptional team of AI and earth system science experts striving for improvements in human well being through data driven insights. Our focus areas are drawn from the UN’s sustainable development goals of no poverty and zero hunger with emphasis on Sub Saharan Africa.

I leave behind a Technology department that I am certain is well on the way to achieving our vision to create the infrastructure for the free knowledge movement. I am also pleased that during my tenure, we have built leaders who are equipped to take on this challenge.

Erika Bjune will be serving as interim CTO. Erika joined us a little over two years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the finest people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have my ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead of us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the Tech team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.

I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not walking away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very  important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a lot!

Victoria

Re: [foundation-optional] A difficult goodbye

Katherine Maher
Hi everyone,

Many in the community may not have the chance to have met Victoria, so I
want to start by sharing my thanks for her work. The Technology department
at the Wikimedia Foundation does many things, but most simply understood,
they're the ones who keep our projects running, every day of the year, rain
or shine. Unless you're a technical contributor or lurk on IRC, you may not
interact with them in the same way you do with other parts of the
Foundation. But they're utterly critical to Wikimedia, and for the past two
years, Victoria has led this essential department.

When Victoria joined, the Foundation had not had a dedicated CTO in many
years. She spent the better part of the past two years as a tireless
advocate for the work of the Technology department, transforming disparate
pieces into a coherent and compelling program structure. Victoria has never
stopped marveling at how much the department had accomplished on a
shoestring. Together, we worked to try and extend the length of that
shoestring, building out the structures of a team that is increasingly
diverse and incredibly dedicated to the work. Many teams now are in
positions to be much more forward-looking than in many years, with space to
take on new challenges. There’s certainly more to do, but thanks to these
efforts we have a better sense of the ambitious targets that we still need
to reach in service of our mission.

With so much important work to do, we're already planning for a new CTO.
We'll begin preparations for the search immediately, and should launch
formally in February. In the meantime, I am truly grateful to our current
Director of Search Platform Engineering, Erika Bjune, for stepping up to
take on the role of interim CTO. We know this search will likely be on the
longer side, given our unique mission and structure. As such, please engage
with Erika as a full acting CTO, who will keep critical decisions and
programs moving forward. Fortunately, Victoria has also volunteered to stay
on in a consulting role, in order to provide additional support during the
transition and in annual planning. This puts us in a good place, and from
the community, we anticipate you won't even notice a change.

Of course, even though I'm sad Victoria is leaving, I am thrilled that not
only are her skills and experience being recognized but that she is putting
them to such meaningful use at another mission-oriented organization -- and
please do join me in congratulating Victoria on her new role!

We wish you the very best in this next move, and like everyone, warn you
that you’ll never truly be a former Wikimedian!

Katherine

--

Katherine Maher (she/her)

Executive Director

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [foundation-optional] A difficult goodbye

Info WorldUniversity
Thank you for your contributions to Wikimedia and the Wikimedia movement,
Victoria,

Regards, Scott
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Scott_WorldUnivAndSch

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 5:31 PM Traci Sigmon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Erika Bjune will be serving as interim CTO. Erika joined us a little
> over two years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the finest
> people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have my
> ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on
> organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead of
> us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the Tech
> team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.
> >
> > I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all
> of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a
> Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not walking
> away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very
> important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch
- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [foundation-optional] A difficult goodbye

camelia boban
Thanks for all Victoria ❤.

Camelia & WikiDonne UG

--
*Camelia Boban*

*| Developer |*
*Affiliations Committee Treasurer - **Wikimedia *Foundation
Chair - Diversity Working Group for Wikimedia Strategy 2030
Chair & co-founder - WikiDonne User Group
WMIT - WMSE - WMCH - WMAR Member
M. +39 3383385545
[hidden email]
*Wikipedia <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:Camelia.boban> | *Twitter
<https://twitter.com/cameliaboban> *|* *Google Plu
<https://plus.google.com/+CameliaBoban/>s
<https://plus.google.com/+CameliaBoban/>*
*WikiDonne <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiDonne>* *| **LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/camelia-boban-31319122>  **|* *Aissa
Technologies* <http://aissatechnologies.eu/>

Il giorno ven 11 gen 2019 alle ore 06:08 Info WorldUniversity <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> > of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a
> > Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not
> walking
> > away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very
> > important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a
> > lot!
> > >

> > > Victoria
> > >
> > > --

> - Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
> - https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch
> - World University and School
> - http://worlduniversityandschool.org
> - http://scottmacleod.com
>
> - CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
> CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
> California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

Re: A difficult goodbye

zppix e
Victoria,
Thanks for all you’ve done i only hope this opportunity works out well for you. Regardless of what your future holds you will always have a place here, so as always for anyone feel free to check in and have a nice chat with us anytime. I think i can safely say on behalf of the Wikimedia community as a whole, thank you for your work and dedication to the movement, and good luck.

--
Devin “Zppix” CCENT
Volunteer Wikimedia Developer

> On Jan 10, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your service, Victoria. I'm glad that your next steps sound
> like they will be good for you professionally and will be at another
> organization that does public service.
>
> I've appreciated that you have been consistently responsive and polite in
> our interactions. I wish you the best on your journey. Perhaps we'll meet
> again.
>
> Pine

Re: A difficult goodbye

Isarra Yos
Sad to see you go - from what I saw as a volunteer, things only improved
under your leadership here. We were lucky to have you.

All the best.

-I

On 11/01/2019 00:29, Victoria Coleman wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have some difficult news to share.
>
> A few months ago and completely out of the blue, an opportunity came up for me to exercise the full spectrum of my skills as the CEO of an early stage mission oriented startup. It has been a mighty struggle between my commitment to my team, the Foundation and  the movement and this opportunity to bring all my skills to bear and build something from the ground up to do good in the world. I will not lie to you - it has not been easy. But ultimately I decided that I have to give it a go and I accepted the offer. I plan on starting there on Feb 4th so my last day at the Foundation will be Feb 1st.
>
> These past two years have been amongst the most enjoyable in my professional career. I’ve enjoyed getting to know the movement and what fuels it and I’ve been incredibly privileged to work with a Tech team like no other. We have together strengthened the technical infrastructure of the movement and while much work remains to be done we have a much stronger team in place to take the mission to the next level. And I have personally made friendships that will last a lifetime.
>
> The organization I will be moving to is Atlas AI, a public benefit corporation supported by the Rockefeller Foundation. I will be leading an exceptional team of AI and earth system science experts striving for improvements in human well being through data driven insights. Our focus areas are drawn from the UN’s sustainable development goals of no poverty and zero hunger with emphasis on Sub Saharan Africa.
>
> I leave behind a Technology department that I am certain is well on the way to achieving our vision to create the infrastructure for the free knowledge movement. I am also pleased that during my tenure, we have built leaders who are equipped to take on this challenge.
>
> Erika Bjune will be serving as interim CTO. Erika joined us a little over two years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the finest people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have my ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead of us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the Tech team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.
>
> I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not walking away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very  important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a lot!
>

> Victoria

Re: A difficult goodbye

Chico Venancio
Victoria,

I echo Isarra's comment here, it is the Wikimedia community loss to see you
part.
In particular, I was able to see your leadership in the formation of the
Technical Engagement team, consolidating initiatives around volunteer
developers and leveraging the work for the communities.

Wish you the best on this new challenge.
Chico Venancio

Em seg, 14 de jan de 2019 às 15:06, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> [...]
> >
> > Erika Bjune will be serving as interim CTO. Erika joined us a little
> over two years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the finest
> people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have my
> ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on
> organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead of
> us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the Tech
> team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.
> >
> > I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all
> of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a
> Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not walking
> away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very
> important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a

Re: A difficult goodbye

Nuria Ruiz
Many thanks for your work in these two years, Victoria.  You leave the
Technology team in much better shape than you found it.

For those of you not in the know I think is worth mentioning that in her
tenure here Victoria has created the Technical Engagement team to better
attend technical contributors (already mentioned on this thread), hired a
director of security that has, in turn, build a solid security team, given
weight to MediaWiki as a platform and created a team that will steward
MediaWiki's development . She has also overseen much of the technical work
that has gone into our litigation against the NSA, has instituted a process
to better do promotions and has hired support staff that has made the work
of all of us in the department much (much!) easier.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:17 AM Chico Venancio <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> finest
> > people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will have
> my
> > ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on
> > organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead
> of
> > us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the
> Tech
> > team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.
> > >
> > > I want to close this difficult message with my heartfelt thanks to all
> > of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a
> > Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not
> walking
> > away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very
> > important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a

Re: A difficult goodbye

Victoria Coleman
Hi everyone,

thank you. I am not sure I deserve all your kind words but I sincerely appreciate them. As I appreciated your support and your partnership these past two years. Leaving is not easy - it really is not. I just feel relieved knowing that our community is wide, is open and, yes, it’s welcoming - so I take comfort in continuing to be part of it from a different perch. Technology is not an optional extra for the movement. It’s what makes everything else possible. Your work truly matters and I feel honored to have had the opportunity to make a small contribution. Go forward! Be passionate. Be open! Be you! I have you in my heart.

Victoria

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Nuria Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > over two years ago and she has distinguished  herself as one of the
>> finest
>> > people leaders I have ever worked with. Both she and Katherine will
>> have my
>> > ongoing support — I will stay on in a consulting role to Erika on
>> > organizational matters and for the mid term planning work we have ahead
>> of
>> > us in the remainder of the fiscal year.  I know that I am leaving the
>> Tech
>> > team in good hands until a permanent CTO is hired.

>> > of you for letting me be part of this incredible movement. Being a
>> > Wikimedian is a great privilege. I wanted you to know that I’m not
>> walking
>> > away from something; I am walking towards  something that is very
>> > important to me and the world. I will miss you all. Deeply. Truly. And a

Re: A difficult goodbye

Amir Sarabadani-2
One thing I want to point out is when she joined, we had only 16 engineers
in site reliability engineering [1] but now it's 26 [2]. Running the fifth
most visited website and the greatest thing you can find in the internet
with only 16 engineers is CRAZY. Such well-needed expansion shows its
effect on every day life of me as a developer.

Kudos Victoria! Thank you for all of your work for the movement, even
though some of them might not be easily seen or understood by everyone.

[1]:
https://foundation.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Staff_and_contractors&oldid=107326
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/role/staff-contractors/

Best

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 6:21 PM Nuria Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> work
> > that has gone into our litigation against the NSA, has instituted a
> process
> > to better do promotions and has hired support staff that has made the
> work
> > of all of us in the department much (much!) easier.
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:17 AM Chico Venancio <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Victoria,
> >>
> >> I echo Isarra's comment here, it is the Wikimedia community loss to see
> >> you
> >> part.
> >> In particular, I was able to see your leadership in the formation of the
> >> Technical Engagement team, consolidating initiatives around volunteer
> >> developers and leveraging the work for the communities.
> >>
> >> Wish you the best on this new challenge.

Amir

Re: A difficult goodbye

Denny Vrandečić-2
Thanks Victoria! I really enjoyed our interaction, and thank you for what
you did for the movement. I wish you all the best on your future path, and
hope you are not becoming a stranger!

Best wishes,
Denny