A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Dario Taraborelli-3
*Hey all,We’re thrilled to announce the Wikimedia Research team now has a
simple, navigable, and accessible landing page, making our output,
projects, and resources easy to discover and learn about:
https://research.wikimedia.org <https://research.wikimedia.org/> The
Research team decided to create a single go-to page (T107389
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>) to provide an additional way
to discover information we have on wiki, for the many audiences we would
like to engage with – particularly those who are not already familiar with
how to navigate our projects. On this page, potential academic
collaborators, journalists, funding organizations, and others will find
links to relevant resources, contact information, collaboration and
partnership opportunities, and ways to follow the team's work.There are
many more research resources produced by different teams and departments at
WMF – from Analytics, to Audiences, to Grantmaking, and Programs. If you
see anything that’s missing within the scope of the Research team, please
let us know <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>!Dario*

--

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter

Re: A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Heather Ford-3
This is great. So much easier to find things and understand what the team
is doing :) Nice work!

Dr Heather Ford
Senior Lecturer, School of Arts & Media <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/>,
University of New South Wales
w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> / t:
@hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>

On 7 February 2018 at 05:44, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> *Hey all,We’re thrilled to announce the Wikimedia Research team now has a
> simple, navigable, and accessible landing page, making our output,
> projects, and resources easy to discover and learn about:
> https://research.wikimedia.org <https://research.wikimedia.org/> The
> Research team decided to create a single go-to page (T107389
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>) to provide an additional way
> to discover information we have on wiki, for the many audiences we would
> like to engage with – particularly those who are not already familiar with
> how to navigate our projects. On this page, potential academic
> collaborators, journalists, funding organizations, and others will find
> links to relevant resources, contact information, collaboration and
> partnership opportunities, and ways to follow the team's work.There are
> many more research resources produced by different teams and departments at
> WMF – from Analytics, to Audiences, to Grantmaking, and Programs. If you
> see anything that’s missing within the scope of the Research team, please
> let us know <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>!Dario*
>

> --
>
> *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

metasj
Seconded - and it looks simply gorgeous.

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Heather Ford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is great. So much easier to find things and understand what the team
> is doing :) Nice work!
>
> Dr Heather Ford
> Senior Lecturer, School of Arts & Media <https://sam.arts.unsw.edu.au/>,
> University of New South Wales
> w: hblog.org / EthnographyMatters.net <http://ethnographymatters.net/> /
> t:
> @hfordsa <http://www.twitter.com/hfordsa>
>

> On 7 February 2018 at 05:44, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > *Hey all,We’re thrilled to announce the Wikimedia Research team now has a
> > simple, navigable, and accessible landing page, making our output,
> > projects, and resources easy to discover and learn about:
> > https://research.wikimedia.org <https://research.wikimedia.org/> The
> > Research team decided to create a single go-to page (T107389
> > <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>) to provide an additional
> way
> > to discover information we have on wiki, for the many audiences we would
> > like to engage with – particularly those who are not already familiar
> with
> > how to navigate our projects. On this page, potential academic
> > collaborators, journalists, funding organizations, and others will find
> > links to relevant resources, contact information, collaboration and
> > partnership opportunities, and ways to follow the team's work.There are
> > many more research resources produced by different teams and departments
> at
> > WMF – from Analytics, to Audiences, to Grantmaking, and Programs. If you
> > see anything that’s missing within the scope of the Research team, please
> > let us know <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>!Dario*
> >

> > --
> >
> > *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> > wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> > <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Iolanda Pensa
very nice page
but it looks like Wikimedia foundation team has a new landing page, not Wikimedia research team.
no?
all the best
iolanda

> Il giorno 6 feb 2018, alle ore 23:44, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> *Hey all,We’re thrilled to announce the Wikimedia Research team now has a
> simple, navigable, and accessible landing page, making our output,
> projects, and resources easy to discover and learn about:
> https://research.wikimedia.org <https://research.wikimedia.org/> The
> Research team decided to create a single go-to page (T107389
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>) to provide an additional way
> to discover information we have on wiki, for the many audiences we would
> like to engage with – particularly those who are not already familiar with
> how to navigate our projects. On this page, potential academic
> collaborators, journalists, funding organizations, and others will find
> links to relevant resources, contact information, collaboration and
> partnership opportunities, and ways to follow the team's work.There are
> many more research resources produced by different teams and departments at
> WMF – from Analytics, to Audiences, to Grantmaking, and Programs. If you
> see anything that’s missing within the scope of the Research team, please
> let us know <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389>!Dario*
>

> --
>
> *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Will it be translatable with standard tools?

Federico

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Aaron Halfaker-2
Depends on which standard.  This is not a wiki page so it won't be
translatable using the on-wiki translate tools.  However, it's quite
possible that we could use something like translatewiki.net.  I'm not sure
if that is on the road map.  Dario, what do you think?

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Will it be translatable with standard tools?
>
> Federico

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Aaron Halfaker-2
Hey folks, I see you're using github[1], but you've disabled the issue
tracker there.  Where should I submit bug reports and feature requests?
Maybe you could add a link next to "source code" at the bottom of the page.

1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Depends on which standard.  This is not a wiki page so it won't be
> translatable using the on-wiki translate tools.  However, it's quite
> possible that we could use something like translatewiki.net.  I'm not
> sure if that is on the road map.  Dario, what do you think?
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Will it be translatable with standard tools?
>>
>> Federico

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Jonathan Morgan
Aaron: I'll ask Baha about the issue tracking... *issue* today. The code is
hosted on Gerrit now, with a one-way mirror on this GitHub repo[1], which
is not ideal from an openness/collaboration POV. For me, enabling easy
issue tracking and pull requests is the most pressing issue. In the
meantime, you can submit tasks through Phab. Add them to the Research
board[2] and/or as subtasks of our Landing Page creation epic[3]. Not
ideal, but at least you can capture things this way.

Federico: Translation via translatewiki would be very cool. We haven't
prioritized this because, well, none of our on-wiki research team pages
were ever translated, and this microsite is intended to supplement our
on-wiki content, not replace it. But it sounds like a potential 'roadmap'
kinda deal and I'll make sure to track it.

Iolanda: this is the landing page for the Wikimedia Foundation Research
team[4], not for the international community of researchers who study
Wiki[*]edia. It's also not the landing page for all researchers and
research activities within the Wikimedia Foundation--just those of team
members (and Aaron, whose Scoring Platform team is a kind of spin
off/sibling of the research team).

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Keep it coming,

Jonathan

1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
2. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/research/
3. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389
4. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hey folks, I see you're using github[1], but you've disabled the issue
> tracker there.  Where should I submit bug reports and feature requests?
> Maybe you could add a link next to "source code" at the bottom of the page.
>
> 1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Depends on which standard.  This is not a wiki page so it won't be
> > translatable using the on-wiki translate tools.  However, it's quite
> > possible that we could use something like translatewiki.net.  I'm not
> > sure if that is on the road map.  Dario, what do you think?
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Will it be translatable with standard tools?
> >>
> >> Federico

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Jonathan Morgan
Quick heads up that there's now a Phab tag[1] for the landing page. Please
feel free to use this tag to document issues and feature requests.

Thanks,
Jonathan

1. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/3243/

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Aaron: I'll ask Baha about the issue tracking... *issue* today. The code
> is hosted on Gerrit now, with a one-way mirror on this GitHub repo[1],
> which is not ideal from an openness/collaboration POV. For me, enabling
> easy issue tracking and pull requests is the most pressing issue. In the
> meantime, you can submit tasks through Phab. Add them to the Research
> board[2] and/or as subtasks of our Landing Page creation epic[3]. Not
> ideal, but at least you can capture things this way.
>
> Federico: Translation via translatewiki would be very cool. We haven't
> prioritized this because, well, none of our on-wiki research team pages
> were ever translated, and this microsite is intended to supplement our
> on-wiki content, not replace it. But it sounds like a potential 'roadmap'
> kinda deal and I'll make sure to track it.
>
> Iolanda: this is the landing page for the Wikimedia Foundation Research
> team[4], not for the international community of researchers who study
> Wiki[*]edia. It's also not the landing page for all researchers and
> research activities within the Wikimedia Foundation--just those of team
> members (and Aaron, whose Scoring Platform team is a kind of spin
> off/sibling of the research team).
>
> Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Keep it coming,
>
> Jonathan
>
> 1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
> 2. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/research/
> 3. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389
> 4. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks, I see you're using github[1], but you've disabled the issue
>> tracker there.  Where should I submit bug reports and feature requests?
>> Maybe you could add a link next to "source code" at the bottom of the
>> page.
>>
>> 1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Depends on which standard.  This is not a wiki page so it won't be
>> > translatable using the on-wiki translate tools.  However, it's quite
>> > possible that we could use something like translatewiki.net.  I'm not
>> > sure if that is on the road map.  Dario, what do you think?
>> >
>> > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 1:31 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <
>> [hidden email]>

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

--
Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Jan Dittrich
For people being interested in i18n, have a look at the design team’s
research in i18n-ized Static Site Generators:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T164449

Jan

> Quick heads up that there's now a Phab tag[1] for the landing page. Please
> feel free to use this tag to document issues and feature requests.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonathan
>
> 1. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/profile/3243/
>
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Aaron: I'll ask Baha about the issue tracking... *issue* today. The code
> > is hosted on Gerrit now, with a one-way mirror on this GitHub repo[1],
> > which is not ideal from an openness/collaboration POV. For me, enabling
> > easy issue tracking and pull requests is the most pressing issue. In the
> > meantime, you can submit tasks through Phab. Add them to the Research
> > board[2] and/or as subtasks of our Landing Page creation epic[3]. Not
> > ideal, but at least you can capture things this way.
> >
> > Federico: Translation via translatewiki would be very cool. We haven't
> > prioritized this because, well, none of our on-wiki research team pages
> > were ever translated, and this microsite is intended to supplement our
> > on-wiki content, not replace it. But it sounds like a potential 'roadmap'
> > kinda deal and I'll make sure to track it.
> >
> > Iolanda: this is the landing page for the Wikimedia Foundation Research
> > team[4], not for the international community of researchers who study
> > Wiki[*]edia. It's also not the landing page for all researchers and
> > research activities within the Wikimedia Foundation--just those of team
> > members (and Aaron, whose Scoring Platform team is a kind of spin
> > off/sibling of the research team).
> >
> > Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Keep it coming,
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > 1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
> > 2. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/research/
> > 3. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T107389
> > 4. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey folks, I see you're using github[1], but you've disabled the issue
> >> tracker there.  Where should I submit bug reports and feature requests?
> >> Maybe you could add a link next to "source code" at the bottom of the
> >> page.
> >>
> >> 1. https://github.com/wikimedia/research-landing-page
> >>
> >> On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 10:02 AM, Aaron Halfaker <
> [hidden email]

> >> [hidden email]>

> > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > Senior Design Researcher
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
> >

> --
> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Jan Dittrich
UX Design/ User Research

Phone: +49 (0)30 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.

Re: [Analytics] A new landing page for the Wikimedia Research team

Dario Taraborelli-3
Hey all,

thanks for the great feedback. A couple of notes to expand on Jonathan's
response.

wrote:

> Aaron: I'll ask Baha about the issue tracking... *issue* today. The code
> is hosted on Gerrit now, with a one-way mirror on this GitHub repo[1],
> which is not ideal from an openness/collaboration POV. For me, enabling
> easy issue tracking and pull requests is the most pressing issue. In the
> meantime, you can submit tasks through Phab. Add them to the Research
> board[2] and/or as subtasks of our Landing Page creation epic[3]. Not
> ideal, but at least you can capture things this way.

this is far from optimal. Due to production requirements, all code needs to
be on Gerrit, but asking people who want to suggest typo fixed to go
through the developer access instructions is a usability nightmare.
Jonathan's suggestion is a temporary solution, I'd like to work with Baha
to figure out if there's a possible workflow that allows us to receive PRs
and issues on GitHub, have them synced with Gerrit, before they are
reviewed and, if +2'ed, merged there. This may take a while so we
appreciate your patience.

> Federico: Translation via translatewiki would be very cool. We haven't
> prioritized this because, well, none of our on-wiki research team pages
> were ever translated, and this microsite is intended to supplement our
> on-wiki content, not replace it. But it sounds like a potential 'roadmap'
> kinda deal and I'll make sure to track it.

<what Jonathan said>

Our assumption was that the place for volunteer communities to find
translated content is (and should be) on wiki, and we can tap all the
existing workflows for translation there as needed. The main audiences for
this landing page are (primarily English speaking) funding and research
organizations who don't know how to navigate content across 4+ wikis and a
number of external data / publication repositories. I support the idea of
translations, if we can make it work and if there's appetite for it, the
minimum viable content was intentionally conceived to be in English.

Iolanda: this is the landing page for the Wikimedia Foundation Research
> team[4], not for the international community of researchers who study
> Wiki[*]edia. It's also not the landing page for all researchers and
> research activities within the Wikimedia Foundation--just those of team
> members (and Aaron, whose Scoring Platform team is a kind of spin
> off/sibling of the research team).

As an additional clarification: the Research Index on Meta remains the
central hub of all research projects created by the volunteer community,
academic researchers, and Wikimedia Foundation staff. This landing page
acts as a filter, and a thin layer of discoverability, to the contributions
made by the Wikimedia Research team to the Research Index (as well as
additional documentation that may exist across other wikis). Hope that
makes sense.