A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Lewis Cawte
Hi all

Right, I'm not going to bore you with the long back story of this, but I was reading about the recently announced New Orleans hackathon, and as I normally do when I can't get to an event because its abroad or whatever, I go onto IRC and do my normal whiney thing (which I really hate myself for). But anyway, I got talking with 'sumanah, who is the Volunteer Development Coordinator at the Wikimedia Foundation (I guess that makes hackathons and stuff part of her job), but she suggested that if I can't get to these, why don't I organise my own...

So anyway, then we got talking about some stuff, and we decided that it would be best, especially for my first event not necessarily worry about international developers and participants as much, and that I should focus the event locally.

A few of the main hurdles with me not being able to get to the other hackathons are that my age, I'm 14 (15 in early September), so it makes finding a simple flight or whatever harder to find (because my parents don't have passports, and would not be able to afford coming with me, or finding something else to do), and cash to pay for hotel room and travel is also a problem. These problems also kind of apply to me running a hackathon, and a few solutions that came up were that 1, I hold it somewhere in Brighton, or somewhere rather close, and 2, that I contact my local chapter (if memberships a problem for no chapter support, I'll get the application in for the next meeting).

And basicly I need to know,
  • How many of you would be interested in coming to a MediaWiki Hackathon, will be before Christmas this year, which would last a day or two, depending on the level of support and interest we get. There may be an opportunity for a chapter/GLAM/board meetup depending on time/venue/interest, but I still need to find out the relevant information before that can be arranged fully. I plan to cross post an announcement to
  • What support I can get from the chapter, I don't have a lot of money, and I don't get a lot either, if anything, how much would the chapter be willing to put into this event.
  • Would anyone interested be willing to pay a small fee to attend, like £5/10 a day? This has yet to be decided but it would help especially if the chapter doesn't have much money it can spare...
  • How many MediaWiki developers, toolserver users (not toolserver tools users, but people that have their own tools/bots on toolserver) do we have here, because I personally don't know of that many, but it'd be nice if we could have some kind of workshop thing or mentoring program, because if we don't have a few, we're going to have a lot of bored people sitting in a room for a couple of days. I've spoken to a few of the other developers in #mediawiki, and I know one or two people that have said they would be happy to travel into the UK if I can get one organised and run by Christmas...
  • Deputy Event manager like person. As I've said, I'll be 15 when this happens, and I'm not comfortable running this by myself, or booking stuff in my name... or being the emergency contact on the time of the event, mainly because I'm a stupidly heavy sleeper. I am happy, however to go to the event, do some speaking, go shopping or order shopping for snacks, work out transport routes and stuff, and I'll go along with someone to visit the venue if need be...
Oh yeah, and if anyone doesn't know what a hackathon is, I've probably left it a bit late to explain, but its a meetup with a few talks and a lot of coding and bug fixing (and for this one, specifically MediaWiki related tools (so toolserver, pybot etc as well)).

Hope I haven't forgotten anything,
-- Lewis Cawte

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Harry Burt
Hey Lewis,

I'd be really interested in attending a UK hackathon. I'm a bot developer, Toolserver tool operator, and occasional MediaWiki hacker.

That said, the dates would be really important to me. It's either got to be a weekend in September (too close) or some time in December. Sorry.

Anyway, best of luck with the whole initiative.

Harry (User:Jarry1250)

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Keating-2
I've already mentioned this to Lewis off-list but might as well post here as well.

If Lewis and the others who have expressed interest can organise the event then WMUK will be keen to support it financially to make sure there is no entrance fee and no-one is digging into their own pockets.

Formally speaking it will need a written proposal with a figure for us to approve, but we definitely want to support community initiative like this.

Indeed, I'm hoping that for 2012 escalating the current "microgrant" scheme to handle larger grants as well, so we have a more transparent and easy-to-publicise process than people posting on this email list and then someone from the board saying "good idea, what do you need!"

Chris

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Thomas Morton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Peel-4

On 15 Aug 2011, at 12:17, Chris Keating wrote:

> Indeed, I'm hoping that for 2012 escalating the current "microgrant" scheme to handle larger grants as well, so we have a more transparent and easy-to-publicise process than people posting on this email list and then someone from the board saying "good idea, what do you need!"

Just a quick comment on this point - we'll be increasing the microgrants to a maximum of £250, and streamlining the process a bit more, in the very near future (i.e. as soon as I find the time to implement the changes…). Macrogrants (defining that as any grant over £250) are another kettle of fish that we need to figure out a more transparent process for, but in the interim, proposals sent to the board would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Andrew Gray-3
On 15 August 2011 12:22, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a quick comment on this point - we'll be increasing the microgrants to a maximum of £250, and streamlining the process
> a bit more, in the very near future (i.e. as soon as I find the time to implement the changes…). Macrogrants (defining that as
> any grant over £250) are another kettle of fish that we need to figure out a more transparent process for, but in the interim,
> proposals sent to the board would be very welcome.

A thought - other than funding for MW/WM related events, what sort of
thing do you envisage microgrants being used for?

--
- Andrew Gray

On 15 Aug 2011, at 12:31, Andrew Gray wrote:

> On 15 August 2011 12:22, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just a quick comment on this point - we'll be increasing the microgrants to a maximum of £250, and streamlining the process
>> a bit more, in the very near future (i.e. as soon as I find the time to implement the changes…). Macrogrants (defining that as
>> any grant over £250) are another kettle of fish that we need to figure out a more transparent process for, but in the interim,
>> proposals sent to the board would be very welcome.
>
> A thought - other than funding for MW/WM related events, what sort of
> thing do you envisage microgrants being used for?

There's a list of examples at:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Microgrants/Examples
but microgrants aren't restricted to just those things - so if you're thinking of something that isn't currently listed, put in an application anyway and we'll mull it over. :-) The basic criteria is that it has to further the chapter's Object:
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Memorandum_of_Association#Object

Thanks,
Mike

Process for grants, was Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Charles Matthews
On 15/08/2011 12:22, Michael Peel wrote:
> Macrogrants (defining that as any grant over £250) are another kettle
> of fish that we need to figure out a more transparent process for, but
> in the interim, proposals sent to the board would be very welcome.

I would definitely like to see a path within the grant process that is
more wiki-like than filling in a regular application form. To explain
what I mean by this: reputation on a wiki is or at least should be
determined by what an editor does with the chance to edit (and nothing
more nor less). My standing idea for the grant process, given that
microgrants are supposed to be process-lite, is that for a given person
qualification for a larger grant should be judged more by what was done
with the microgrant, than by making a laborious "business case". Ideally
a grant has an effect that shows up in diffs, on one of the projects,
and getting to a higher standing ought to be on the basis "look at my
diffs" rather than anything else.

So I'm envisaging individual editors being encouraged to show what they
can do with small grants and coming back for more when the results are
visible. I think this kind of emphasis should be built into the system.
In the bigger picture, WMF projects are somewhat short of such ways to
recognise good work.

Charles

Re: Process for grants, was Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Thomas Dalton
On 17 August 2011 12:52, Charles Matthews
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> So I'm envisaging individual editors being encouraged to show what they
> can do with small grants and coming back for more when the results are
> visible. I think this kind of emphasis should be built into the system.

While some ideas for macrogrants could lend themselves to a microgrant
trial-run, not all will. I don't think there should be an expectation
that you apply for a microgrant before you apply for a macrogrant.

On 17/08/2011 12:56, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On 17 August 2011 12:52, Charles Matthews
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> So I'm envisaging individual editors being encouraged to show what they
>> can do with small grants and coming back for more when the results are
>> visible. I think this kind of emphasis should be built into the system.
> While some ideas for macrogrants could lend themselves to a microgrant
> trial-run, not all will. I don't think there should be an expectation
> that you apply for a microgrant before you apply for a macrogrant.

That is not what I meant,; and indeed the other thread on digitisation
suggests that some macrogrants could be (a) initiating, not following on
from microgrants, and perhaps (b) not to individual Wikimedians, nor
directly concerned with WMF projects, but in effect to companies doing
work to professional standards that is considered worthwhile in its own
right. But on the other hand I think there is great merit in the concept
of having grants that are awarded only on track record. It's
egalitarian, cuts out bureaucracy, and encourages the development of
knowhow and constructive relationships (of members with the chapter, the
chapter with specific things going on in the projects, board members
with people who are involved with assessment).

Charles

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Rich Farmbrough
I would be interested in a UK Hackathon, and there are a fair number of
heavy-duty UK techies,  I suppose the way forward would be a weekend
event,  and  the crux would be, primarily, suitable premises.

* Good wifi, plenty of mains outlets.
* Food and drink
* Presentation facilities
* Cheap accommodation
* Reasonably easy to get to (this is always a problem in the UK of course)

Perhaps the best way is to start small but scalable?

On 18/08/11 21:05, Richard Farmbrough wrote:

> I would be interested in a UK Hackathon, and there are a fair number of
> heavy-duty UK techies,  I suppose the way forward would be a weekend
> event,  and  the crux would be, primarily, suitable premises.
>
> * Good wifi, plenty of mains outlets.
> * Food and drink
> * Presentation facilities
> * Cheap accommodation
> * Reasonably easy to get to (this is always a problem in the UK of course)
>
> Perhaps the best way is to start small but scalable?

Glad to hear your interested :)

I'm speaking with the most likely venue tomorrow, as their designated
person is in office Mondays and Fridays. The venue has Wifi, not sure
about mains outlets, but the lady from the venue said its used for
hackathon like events a fair bit, so they should have plenty.

Food and drink, I've been asking people, and generally from what I've
heard, snacks and lunch are provided by the organisers, and dinner
people go off with their new friends, or by themselves to get dinner and
drinks...

Presentations - I've heard at past events they've not had the right
balance of presentations to coding/hacking, and that there were too
many. So I'm going to have to work that out, but after I've got the
venue and date confirmed (next week or two), then I'll put out a call
for speakers and see how many talks we want. Apparently the space is
small enough not to require microphones, but if any speaker specificly
wants to use one, let me know way in advance! Venue will be providing a
projector for us.

Getting there - this venue I'm looking at is a 6 minute walk (mostly
downhill slightly) from Brighton Station, cars are ok, as I think
there's a big car park nearby (a few roads away), but don't hold me to this!

Accommodation - I'm going to leave that up to people to arrange, I'll
put a few sites on the page when venue and date is up, but its not my
strong point, I live a 30 minute bus ride away, so its never been
something I've looked at, I know theres some (not so cheap?) hotels
along the seafront, but I'll go in and have a look for other things
if/when I go to checkout the venue in person. I know in past hackathons
people have arranged group offers for their attendees, but thats not
something I personally am going to be able to do, if someone is worried
about accommodation, poke me, and feel free to go scope out a cheap
place where we can book people into where needs be.

Any other questions, comments etc, they are all welcome!

-- Lewis Cawte

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Rich Farmbrough
Sounds good!  Last time I spent the night in Brighton was WorldCon, no
sleeping was involved!  However that is not a great idea if I am driving

On 18/08/2011 21:53, Lewis Cawte wrote:

> Glad to hear your interested :)
>
> I'm speaking with the most likely venue tomorrow, as their designated
> person is in office Mondays and Fridays. The venue has Wifi, not sure
> about mains outlets, but the lady from the venue said its used for
> hackathon like events a fair bit, so they should have plenty.
>
> Food and drink, I've been asking people, and generally from what I've
> heard, snacks and lunch are provided by the organisers, and dinner
> people go off with their new friends, or by themselves to get dinner and
> drinks...
>
> Presentations - I've heard at past events they've not had the right
> balance of presentations to coding/hacking, and that there were too
> many. So I'm going to have to work that out, but after I've got the
> venue and date confirmed (next week or two), then I'll put out a call
> for speakers and see how many talks we want. Apparently the space is
> small enough not to require microphones, but if any speaker specificly
> wants to use one, let me know way in advance! Venue will be providing a
> projector for us.
>
> Getting there - this venue I'm looking at is a 6 minute walk (mostly
> downhill slightly) from Brighton Station, cars are ok, as I think
> there's a big car park nearby (a few roads away), but don't hold me to this!
>
> Accommodation - I'm going to leave that up to people to arrange, I'll
> put a few sites on the page when venue and date is up, but its not my
> strong point, I live a 30 minute bus ride away, so its never been
> something I've looked at, I know theres some (not so cheap?) hotels
> along the seafront, but I'll go in and have a look for other things
> if/when I go to checkout the venue in person. I know in past hackathons
> people have arranged group offers for their attendees, but thats not
> something I personally am going to be able to do, if someone is worried
> about accommodation, poke me, and feel free to go scope out a cheap
> place where we can book people into where needs be.
>
> Any other questions, comments etc, they are all welcome!
>
> -- Lewis Cawte

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Thomas Morton
Youch... but of a trek :)

But I should be able to make it to Brighton without too much pain.

Are there any suggested dates?

Tom

On 18/08/11 23:40, Thomas Morton wrote:
Youch... but of a trek :)

But I should be able to make it to Brighton without too much pain.

Are there any suggested dates?

Tom

On 18 August 2011 23:36, Richard Farmbrough <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds good!  Last time I spent the night in Brighton was WorldCon, no
sleeping was involved!  However that is not a great idea if I am driving

On 18/08/2011 21:53, Lewis Cawte wrote:
> Glad to hear your interested :)
>
> I'm speaking with the most likely venue tomorrow, as their designated
> person is in office Mondays and Fridays. The venue has Wifi, not sure
> about mains outlets, but the lady from the venue said its used for
> hackathon like events a fair bit, so they should have plenty.
>
> Food and drink, I've been asking people, and generally from what I've
> heard, snacks and lunch are provided by the organisers, and dinner
> people go off with their new friends, or by themselves to get dinner and
> drinks...
>
> Presentations - I've heard at past events they've not had the right
> balance of presentations to coding/hacking, and that there were too
> many. So I'm going to have to work that out, but after I've got the
> venue and date confirmed (next week or two), then I'll put out a call
> for speakers and see how many talks we want. Apparently the space is
> small enough not to require microphones, but if any speaker specificly
> wants to use one, let me know way in advance! Venue will be providing a
> projector for us.
>
> Getting there - this venue I'm looking at is a 6 minute walk (mostly
> downhill slightly) from Brighton Station, cars are ok, as I think
> there's a big car park nearby (a few roads away), but don't hold me to this!
>
> Accommodation - I'm going to leave that up to people to arrange, I'll
> put a few sites on the page when venue and date is up, but its not my
> strong point, I live a 30 minute bus ride away, so its never been
> something I've looked at, I know theres some (not so cheap?) hotels
> along the seafront, but I'll go in and have a look for other things
> if/when I go to checkout the venue in person. I know in past hackathons
> people have arranged group offers for their attendees, but thats not
> something I personally am going to be able to do, if someone is worried
> about accommodation, poke me, and feel free to go scope out a cheap
> place where we can book people into where needs be.
>
> Any other questions, comments etc, they are all welcome!
>
> -- Lewis Cawte

Currently discussing the weekend of the 12th, at the venue for the Saturday and half of the Sunday, but people are welcome to come for just the Saturday if they need to get home etc, and for people travelling down early on the Friday, if there's enough interest I'll stick up some activity for anyone that doesn't want to be stuck in their hotel for half a day... after I've finished school, possibly a tour or something... BBQ on the beach? :P

On 19/08/11 09:28, Lewis Cawte wrote:
> [...]

> if/when I go to checkout the venue in person. I know in past hackathons
> people have arranged group offers for their attendees, but thats not
> something I personally am going to be able to do, if someone is worried
> about accommodation, poke me, and feel free to go scope out a cheap
> place where we can book people into where needs be.
>
> Any other questions, comments etc, they are all welcome!
>
> -- Lewis Cawte

Currently discussing the weekend of the 12th, at the venue for the Saturday and half of the Sunday, but people are welcome to come for just the Saturday if they need to get home etc, and for people travelling down early on the Friday, if there's enough interest I'll stick up some activity for anyone that doesn't want to be stuck in their hotel for half a day... after I've finished school, possibly a tour or something... BBQ on the beach? :P
(November)

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

WereSpielChequers-2
As Brighton is rather close to London can I suggest that we try and avoid having this clash with the London meetup? That still leaves you the 1st, 3rd and 4th weekends of the month.

WSC

On 20/08/11 01:01, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> [...]

> if/when I go to checkout the venue in person. I know in past hackathons
> people have arranged group offers for their attendees, but thats not
> something I personally am going to be able to do, if someone is worried
> about accommodation, poke me, and feel free to go scope out a cheap
> place where we can book people into where needs be.
>
> Any other questions, comments etc, they are all welcome!
>
> -- Lewis Cawte

Currently discussing the weekend of the 12th, at the venue for the Saturday and half of the Sunday, but people are welcome to come for just the Saturday if they need to get home etc, and for people travelling down early on the Friday, if there's enough interest I'll stick up some activity for anyone that doesn't want to be stuck in their hotel for half a day... after I've finished school, possibly a tour or something... BBQ on the beach? :P

I don't see any info on a London meetup that weekend, or is it "common knowledge" and they are always on the 2nd weekend or something?

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

James Forrester-5
On 20 August 2011 08:20, Lewis Cawte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20/08/11 01:01, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> > As Brighton is rather close to London can I suggest that we try and avoid
> > having this clash with the London meetup? That still leaves you the 1st, 3rd
> > and 4th weekends of the month.
> > WSC
>
> I don't see any info on a London meetup that weekend, or is it "common
> knowledge" and they are always on the 2nd weekend or something?

Yes. We've had the London meetups on the second Sunday of the month
now 42 times now (November will be London meetup 51 - I've now created
it at [[m:Meetup/London/51]]). All Wikimedians or Wikimedia-friendly
people welcome, as always. :-)

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: A proposal... MediaWiki Hackathon

Gordon Joly
On 20/08/2011 01:01, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> As Brighton is rather close to London can I suggest that we try and
> avoid having this clash with the London meetup? That still leaves you
> the 1st, 3rd and 4th weekends of the month.

I tend to disagree. Make the choice without reference to the London
Wikimeet.

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly