A simple question

Jonas Rand
Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
(see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is both on
Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
someone explain this phenomenon?

Jonas

Re: A simple question

Nathan Awrich
Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
backgrounds on those two images.

Nathan

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
> (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
> http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is both
> on
> Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
> someone explain this phenomenon?
>
> Jonas

Re: A simple question

Majorly
On 05/05/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
> backgrounds on those two images.
>

> Nathan

The first image has a grey background on the menu bar on the left, whereas
the second image has a white one.

--
Alex Newman
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

Re: A simple question

Chris Howie
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
>  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
>  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is both on
>  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
>  someone explain this phenomenon?

These links are dead.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

Re: A simple question

Michael Bimmler
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Chris Howie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
>  >  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
>  >  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is both on
>  >  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
>  >  someone explain this phenomenon?
>
>  These links are dead.

They aren't here. Might be a problem on your end of the connection.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler

Re: A simple question

James Farrar
2008/5/5 Majorly <[hidden email]>:

> On 05/05/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  > Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
>  > backgrounds on those two images.
>  >
>  >
>  > Nathan
>  >
>
>  The first image has a grey background on the menu bar on the left, whereas
>  the second image has a white one.

It does? Count me in the "blind" camp...

Re: A simple question

Angela Anuszewski

That's really strange. Are they being viewed in different browsers?

--
Wikipedia:[[User:Psu256]]

Re: A simple question

Majorly
On 05/05/2008, Angela Anuszewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's really strange. Are they being viewed in different browsers?

I'm viewing in Firefox. Perhaps my eyesight is exceptional :-)

Shrug, dunno.  Both redirect me to <http://www.110mb.com/404.php>.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

Re: A simple question

Usamah M. Ali
This does not need be called a "phenomenon", nor a "blind camp" to
explain it. :)

Simply the gray colors comes from the CSS background declaration on
the body element:

background: #F9F9F9 url (headbg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0pt 0pt;

Sometimes. browsers fail to pick up every background image or CSS
declaration, so you're left with the default white background color.

If you're using Firefox, and Firebug installed, you can disable that
CSS declaration and see the effect in real time.

Regards,
Usamah

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Angela Anuszewski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  >
>

>  That's really strange. Are they being viewed in different browsers?
>
>  --
>  Wikipedia:[[User:Psu256]]

Re: A simple question

John Lee-14
On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:46 PM, James Farrar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/5/5 Majorly <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On 05/05/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
>  >  > backgrounds on those two images.
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Nathan
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  The first image has a grey background on the menu bar on the left, whereas
>  >  the second image has a white one.
>
>  It does? Count me in the "blind" camp...

Me three. Oh, and the 404 problem someone brought up can be resolved
by copying and pasting the URLs straight into your browser, rather
than clicking on them. The host is probably paranoid about hotlinking.

Johnleemk

Re: A simple question

White Cat
The page you're accessing no longer exists or you mistyped the URL.

Can't see it. Upload to commons.

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Chris Howie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  > Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is
> white
> >  >  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
> >  >  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is
> both on
> >  >  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia.
> Can
> >  >  someone explain this phenomenon?
> >
> >  These links are dead.
> >

> They aren't here. Might be a problem on your end of the connection.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Bimmler

Re: A simple question

Jonas Rand
> On Mon, 5 May 2008 13:34:58, Chris Howie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
>>  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
>>  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is
>> both on
>>  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
>>  someone explain this phenomenon?
>
> These links are dead.
>
> --
> Chris Howie
> http://www.chrishowie.com
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

The links were dead and refirected to the 404 page right after I uploaded
them last night, but now they seem fine. It's odd that you seem to be the
only one who doesn't see the images, it might just be your connection.

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 18:46:37, James Farrar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/5/5 Majorly <[hidden email]>:
>> On 05/05/2008, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  >
>>  > Maybe I'm blind, but I'm not seeing a clear difference between the
>>  > backgrounds on those two images.
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > Nathan
>>  >
>>
>>  The first image has a grey background on the menu bar on the left,
>> whereas
>>  the second image has a white one.
>
> It does? Count me in the "blind" camp...
Are you looking at the background of the page, or are you looking at the
background of the "article" content? I'm talking about the background behind
the whole page.

> On Mon, 5 May 2008 21:20:24, Usamah al-Amin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This does not need be called a "phenomenon", nor a "blind camp" to
> explain it. :)
>
> Simply the gray colors comes from the CSS background declaration on
> the body element:
>
> background: #F9F9F9 url (headbg.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0pt 0pt;
>
> Sometimes. browsers fail to pick up every background image or CSS
> declaration, so you're left with the default white background color.
>
> If you're using Firefox, and Firebug installed, you can disable that
> CSS declaration and see the effect in real time.
>
> Regards,
> Usamah

Thank you very much. That makes sense.

Re: A simple question

XaosFluX
Do you have the link to the actual  page?

[[user:en:xaosflux]]

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mon, 5 May 2008 13:34:58, Chris Howie <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Jonas Rand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >> Sometimes, the background of Wikipedia is grey, and sometimes it is white
>  >>  (see http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Greywiki-screenshot.PNG and
>  >>  http://jonasrand.110mb.com/images/Whitewiki-screenshot.PNG). This is
>  >> both on
>  >>  Simple English Wikipedia (shown) and the regilar English Wikipedia. Can
>  >>  someone explain this phenomenon?
>  >
>  > These links are dead.
>  >
>
> > --
>  > Chris Howie
>  > http://www.chrishowie.com
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers
>
>  The links were dead and refirected to the 404 page right after I uploaded
>  them last night, but now they seem fine. It's odd that you seem to be the
>  only one who doesn't see the images, it might just be your connection.

Actually the solution of pasting the links instead of clicking them
did the trick.  I assume many of you are not using a webmail service,
so when you click the links your email program requests that your
browser open the URL, in which case there is no sensible referrer for
the browser to send.  So apparently the site doesn't like hotlinking
of images.

(And, FWIW, there is absolutely nothing about my actual connection
that would cause a server to return a 302 status to me and 200 to
others, unless they are doing IP-based blocking.  Or if we had a
caching proxy server and someone else at my university subscribes to
this list too and tried to click them before they worked.  Anyway, I'm
rambling -- I'm just anal about technical stuff and when someone
claims something very improbable like this I feel the need to point it
out.

BTW I just finished watching an episode of Big Bang Theory... is it
sad that right now I'm reminding myself of those guys?)

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

Re: A simple question

Jonas Rand
I cannot upload to commons because Boricuaeddie has banned me (see
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ionas68224), but I do have an
ImageShack account. I've uploaded the pictures there:
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/9198/greywikiscreenshotyj5.png
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1313/whitewikiscreenshotxu6.png

Jonas

Re: A simple question

Nathan Awrich
From
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/User:Ionas68224:

"This user has now been blocked indefinitely, here and elsewhere. We have
someone who purports to be an 11-year-old, posts his location and pictures
of himself, and then appears to be arguing for the legality of consensual
sex with children
[2]<http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Commons:Deletion_requests/User:Ionas68224&diff=9331629&oldid=9317576>.
This doesn't smell right. I think both the images of the child and his
userpage with personal information should be deleted, and speedily.
Dmcdevit<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Dmcdevit>08:07, 3
February 2008 (UTC)"

The same page says you were indefinitely blocked from English Wikipedia as
well. Interesting.

Nathan