A slightly different feature request

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A slightly different feature request

Steve Bennett-4
Hi,
  Maybe a project for future SoC's :) Basically, it would be handy to
be able to perform image manipulation on the server. Libraries for
this must exist already.

Currently, there are a lot of fairly poor images, generally uploaded
straight from people's digital cameras. To manipulate them, one must
download, modify, then reupload - the last step being fairly fiddly.
It would be very handy if even basic tools like cropping,
rotating/straightening and increasing contrast were available, to
allow one to quickly modify fairly large numbers of images.

Any takers?

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A slightly different feature request

Erik Moeller-3
On 5/24/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, there are a lot of fairly poor images, generally uploaded
> straight from people's digital cameras. To manipulate them, one must
> download, modify, then reupload - the last step being fairly fiddly.

Or you could set up the external editor helper app:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:External_editors

Someone expressed interest in doing an improved version of this for
this year's SoC, but I'm not sure if they followed up on it.

> It would be very handy if even basic tools like cropping,
> rotating/straightening and increasing contrast were available, to
> allow one to quickly modify fairly large numbers of images.

That's also true. ImageMagick does provide some nifty command-line
utilities which could be used for some basic, quick operations.

Erik
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A slightly different feature request

Steve Bennett-4
On 5/24/06, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Or you could set up the external editor helper app:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:External_editors

Is commons already set up to allow that? I gather from that page that
it needs to be set up at both ends. If so, I'll have a go and see how
easy it is.

Steve
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A slightly different feature request

Erik Moeller-3
On 5/24/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is commons already set up to allow that? I gather from that page that
> it needs to be set up at both ends. If so, I'll have a go and see how
> easy it is.

Yes, it's live on all Wikimedia sites. Tricky to set up, but once it
works, it should be relatively smooth.

Erik
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A slightly different feature request

Ilmari Karonen
In reply to this post by Erik Moeller-3
Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 5/24/06, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>It would be very handy if even basic tools like cropping,
>>rotating/straightening and increasing contrast were available, to
>>allow one to quickly modify fairly large numbers of images.
>
> That's also true. ImageMagick does provide some nifty command-line
> utilities which could be used for some basic, quick operations.

You probably want to use format-specific tools for this, at least for
lossy (JPEG) or vector (SVG) formats: jpegtran can rotate and crop JPEG
images without degrading the image, while for SVG you need some program
that can manipulate the SVG markup directly (presumably such exist).

--
Ilmari Karonen
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l