[A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

[A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

noopur

Dear all,

I take immense pleasure in (re)introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja to the entire Wikimedia community! Dr. Pavanaja has joined the Access to Knowledge team at CIS as a consultant from March 4 onward. Those associated with Indian language computing and especially that in Kannada may know him already for having started the first Kannada website: Vishvakannada.com, the first Kannada online magazine, the first Indian language (Kannada) website to receive Golden Web Award, the first Indian language (Kannada) editor for Palm OS and many more firsts.

Dr. Pavanaja holds a Master’s degree from Mysore University and Ph.D. from Mumbai University. He was a scientist at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, for about 15 years and has done advanced research in Taiwan. He resigned from BARC in 1997 and dedicated himself fully for the cause of Computer and Indian languages. You could read more about his contributions here. Prior to this he has also worked at Microsoft Research Labs and has been a long time contributor to Kannada Wikipedia.

We are very fortunate to have him on board. You can reach him at pavanaja [at] cis-india [dot] org. Please join me in welcoming him to our community :)

Thank you,

Noopur

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay-2
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM, noopur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I take immense pleasure in (re)introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja to the entire
> Wikimedia community! Dr. Pavanaja has joined the Access to Knowledge team at
> CIS as a consultant from March 4 onward.

This is good news. What would be the areas on which Dr Pavanaja is
expected to provide guidance?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Pradeep Mohandas-4
hi,

Welcome Pavanaja. All the best in your endeavours!

I was just curious to know if there was an ad for recruitment for this post on the list for this position or not. I could not find the ad herein. If someone who has a link to that post, please share.

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas

Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email? - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Vishnu t
Dear Sankarshan,

Thank you for your wishes. Pavanaja has joined the CIS-A2K team as the Programme Officer, which was left vacant by Shiju Alex few months ago. He will be a key point of contact for the expansion and growth of Kannada Wikipedia within the team. We are glad to have his huge network and experience that would immensely benefit Kannada Wikipedia. In addition to this his job profile would include the following:

                     Design & assist in the roll-out PR / digital outreach plan(s) to promote Indic language readers & readership

                     Design & roll-out PR/on-ground outreach plan(s) to promote Indic language editors and contribution

                     Assist WMF in rolling out and training the Online Ambassadors for Indic language Wikipedia.

                     Co-ordinate with WMF to provide technical solutions to resolve current (& potential) issues on Indic languages

                     Providing ad hoc support to the Community on all aspects of Indic languages as may be deemed necessary.

                     Any other services as required by your supervisor (Programme Director – A2K Programme) and the Executive Director of CIS in connection with the grant from Wikimedia Foundation.

Best regards,

Vishnu

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Vishnu t <[hidden email]> wrote:

> •                     Design & assist in the roll-out PR / digital outreach
> plan(s) to promote Indic language readers & readership
>
> •                     Design & roll-out PR/on-ground outreach plan(s) to
> promote Indic language editors and contribution
>
> •                     Assist WMF in rolling out and training the Online
> Ambassadors for Indic language Wikipedia.
>
> •                     Co-ordinate with WMF to provide technical solutions to
> resolve current (& potential) issues on Indic languages
>
> •                     Providing ad hoc support to the Community on all
> aspects of Indic languages as may be deemed necessary.
>
> •                     Any other services as required by your supervisor
> (Programme Director – A2K Programme) and the Executive Director of CIS in
> connection with the grant from Wikimedia Foundation.

These look fantastic. I'm assuming that these tie in with the plans
you had posted (under the pseudonym, during the election phase).

Can I impose on your graciousness and ask a bit more about the Online
Ambassadors for Indic Language Wikipedia?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Vishnu t
Dear Pradeep,

Thank you for your wishes. We are indeed happy to have Pavanaja join the CIS-A2K team.

I was just curious to know if there was an ad for recruitment for this post on the list for this position or not. I could not find the ad herein. If someone who has a link to that post, please share.

Thanks for pointing this out, Pradeep. I have checked CIS Archives. This announcement was sent out in the CIS main Bulletin to various mailing lists in January 2013. Here is the link http://cis-india.org/about/newsletters/january-2013-bulletin . Unfortunately, we have missed posting this on the WMI mailing list. Sincere apologies for this mistake. We will ensure that this does not get repeated in the future. As a step in this direction, will alert CIS's Publication Manager (who puts together all the newsletters and Bulletins) to post all such information on the WMI list without fail.

Warmly,
Vishnu

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Pradeep Mohandas-4
hi Vishnu,

Was this sent to ANY Wikipedia list, at all, out of curiosity?

warm regards,
Pradeep

Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email? - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Arun Ramarathnam
Dear Vishnu,

Is there any further hiring  planned for the A2K team?

regards
Arun

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Vishnu,

Was this sent to ANY Wikipedia list, at all, out of curiosity?

warm regards,
Pradeep

Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email? - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Omshivaprakash | Wikimedia
Congratulations! It's nice to have someone like you to help Kannada Wikipedia community to grow further!

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congratulations Pavanaja !

Regards
Tinu Cherian

[...]

Omshivaprakash H L | ಓಂಶಿವಪ್ರಕಾಶ್ ಎಚ್.ಎಲ್ | ॐ शिवप्रकाश् एच्. एल्
Kannada SIG
Wikimedia India Chapter
File:Wikimedia India logo.svg

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Anirudh S. Bhati
Hello all,

I haven't seen a job announcement related to the relevant position either on the Wikimedia India (WMI?) mailing list or on any of the local mailing lists.

Thanks,
Anirudh

On 10 March 2013 17:41, sankarshan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM, Vishnu t <[hidden email]> wrote:

> •                     Assist WMF in rolling out and training the Online
> Ambassadors for Indic language Wikipedia.

Can I impose on your graciousness and ask a bit more about the Online
Ambassadors for Indic Language Wikipedia?

As we understand, this would primarily include nurturing local talent that can help and support the Indian Language Wiki communities on orienting people towards Media Wiki, fix bugs, troubleshoot tech related issues, input methods, OCR etc. The intention is to build strong and effective local interfaces to the various Global developments. Please do suggest if you would like to focus on anything else.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Vishnu t
Dear Pradeep,

Only the A2K Newsletter goes to the WMI and various other mailing lists and not the overall CIS Newsletter (in which this was announced). As mentioned earlier, there was an oversight on our part to not have included this in the January Bulletin. Apologies again. We will ensure not to repeat this.

Warmly,
Vishnu

On 10 March 2013 17:53, Pradeep Mohandas <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi Vishnu,

Was this sent to ANY Wikipedia list, at all, out of curiosity?

warm regards,
Pradeep

Pradeep Mohandas
How Pradeep uses email? - http://goo.gl/6v1I9

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Vishnu t
Dear Arun,

On 10 March 2013 18:10, Arun Ramarathnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Vishnu,

Is there any further hiring  planned for the A2K team?

Right now all the positions are filled as per the the contract CIS has with WMF. Unless and until any one of us leaves the A2K team, we will not be planning on any fresh recruitment. Should there be any such developments will surely let you and other friends on the list know.

Have a good day!

Warmly,
Vishnu

Re: [A2K]: Introducing Dr. U.B Pavanaja, Consultant - Indian languages

Vishnu t
Dear Anirudh,

This announcement was sent out in the CIS main Newsletter in January. Due to oversight it was not included in the A2K Newsletter, which gets posted to WMI mailing list along with few other language and city mailing lists. We are deeply apologetic for this slip-up and will ensure that this does not get repeated in the future.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Vishnu

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Vishnu t <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As we understand, this would primarily include nurturing local talent that
> can help and support the Indian Language Wiki communities on orienting
> people towards Media Wiki, fix bugs, troubleshoot tech related issues, input
> methods, OCR etc. The intention is to build strong and effective local
> interfaces to the various Global developments. Please do suggest if you
> would like to focus on anything else.

Again, this is a sound idea. Having multiple groups of individuals who
can receive input, categorize them, document the problems and
solutions and, effectively amplify the highs and lows of the Indic
experience on WMF sites is a good step.

At some point I'd like to understand more about the plans to identify
these individuals, the training they will receive (which, as you
pointed out earlier, would be Pavanaja's goal) and, how would one
measure the effectiveness of the Ambassadors and, the effort as a
whole.

During GNUnify 2013 in February you mentioned that the A2K program was
having a lot of ideas which were at that point nebulous. Now that
there seems to be a structured roll-out, in terms of organization
staffing and, initiative plans, it would good to understand the
objectives for 2013/2014.