API Roadmap?

Trevor DeVore
Hi,

I'm not a MediaWiki user myself but had a request to support
publishing of content from our documentation software to MediaWiki. I
found the API docs and I downloaded version 1.12 today and have been
experimenting with the API.

I noticed that the API does not yet support editing or creating pages
or uploading of images in version 1.12. I would like to support
publishing content to MediaWiki so I'm interested in what the roadmap
is for the API. I read a post in the archives about edit/create being
worked on, but didn't see any news about image upload. Any information
the developers can share about this?

Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems
www.bluemangolearning.com    -    www.screensteps.com

Re: API Roadmap?

Siebrand Mazeland
Hi Trevor.

MediaWiki 1.13, which is expected to be released within a few weeks, will
contain support for editing in the API.

You can find the draft of the RELEASE NOTES in our SVN repository[1]. Look
for the header "API changes in 1.13".

Cheers! Siebrand

[1]
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES?view=ma
rkup

On Jul 9, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Siebrand Mazeland wrote:

> Hi Trevor.
>
> MediaWiki 1.13, which is expected to be released within a few weeks,
> will
> contain support for editing in the API.
>
> You can find the draft of the RELEASE NOTES in our SVN
> repository[1]. Look
> for the header "API changes in 1.13".

Thanks for the link Siebrand. It looks like 1.13 will have significant
improvements to the API. I noticed an entry for deleting images but
didn't see any entries relating to image upload. Are there plans to
add image upload soon or is that a little lower on the list?

Thanks,

Trevor

Re: API Roadmap?

Angles, Rosa Ana, VF-ES (rangles)

Hi Trevor,

Have a look at this branch, the upload image feature has been developed, and will be included in the trunk soon.
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/branches/ApiEdit_Vodafone/
Cheers,

Rosana Anglés

On Jul 9, 2008, at 6:29 PM, Siebrand Mazeland wrote:

> Hi Trevor.
>
> MediaWiki 1.13, which is expected to be released within a few weeks,
> will
> contain support for editing in the API.
>
> You can find the draft of the RELEASE NOTES in our SVN
> repository[1]. Look
> for the header "API changes in 1.13".

Thanks for the link Siebrand. It looks like 1.13 will have significant
improvements to the API. I noticed an entry for deleting images but
didn't see any entries relating to image upload. Are there plans to
add image upload soon or is that a little lower on the list?

Thanks,

Trevor

Confidencialidad
Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios y propiedad de Vodafone España. Queda prohibida su divulgación, copia o distribución a terceros sin la previa autorización escrita de Vodafone España, en virtud de la legislación vigente. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica del remitente y la destrucción del mismo.

Confidentiality
The information in this e-mail and in any attachments is classified as Vodafone España Confidential and Proprietary Information and solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is prohibited without the prior written consent of Vodafone España and is s strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please, notify the sender by reply e-mail.

Re: API Roadmap?

Jools Wills
> Thanks for the link Siebrand. It looks like 1.13 will have significant
> improvements to the API. I noticed an entry for deleting images but
> didn't see any entries relating to image upload. Are there plans to
> add image upload soon or is that a little lower on the list?

You could always use a script which uses the api but also has support for
uploading such as mine (low level api access for perl)

http://search.cpan.org/~exobuzz/MediaWiki-API-0.08/

If you wanted to do it in another language, just look at the very simple
upload function noting that you need to be logged in on wikipedia to
upload (which can be done with the api).

Best Regards

Jools

Re: API Roadmap?

Roan Kattouw
Angles, Rosa Ana, VF-ES (rangles) schreef:
> Hi Trevor,
>
> Have a look at this branch, the upload image feature has been developed, and will be included in the trunk soon.

Well "soon" is relative :D . I've got some other stuff to do before I
get to uploading, it'll be a huge job to support uploads properly,
without error messages in HTML.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Re: API Roadmap?

Trevor DeVore
On Jul 10, 2008, at 9:30 AM, Roan Kattouw wrote:

> Angles, Rosa Ana, VF-ES (rangles) schreef:
>> Have a look at this branch, the upload image feature has been
>> developed, and will be included in the trunk soon.
>>
> Well "soon" is relative :D . I've got some other stuff to do before I
> get to uploading, it'll be a huge job to support uploads properly,
> without error messages in HTML.

I will keep an eye on things and start experimenting with the API
again once upload is added to the trunk.

Thanks,

Trevor DeVore

Re: API Roadmap?

Trevor DeVore
On Jul 10, 2008, at 6:53 AM, Jools Smyth wrote:

>> Thanks for the link Siebrand. It looks like 1.13 will have
>> significant
>> improvements to the API. I noticed an entry for deleting images but
>> didn't see any entries relating to image upload. Are there plans to
>> add image upload soon or is that a little lower on the list?
>
> You could always use a script which uses the api but also has
> support for
> uploading such as mine (low level api access for perl)
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~exobuzz/MediaWiki-API-0.08/
>
> If you wanted to do it in another language, just look at the very
> simple
> upload function noting that you need to be logged in on wikipedia to
> upload (which can be done with the api).

Thanks for the link Jools. I noticed that you mention that error
checking is limited MediaWiki::API->upload. Is this because you are
having to parse the HTML returned for error messages?

I think I'm going to wait for an official API. It isn't mandatory that
we support MediaWiki in our application, it would just be nice for
some of our customers.

Regards,

Trevor DeVore

Re: API Roadmap?

Jools Wills
> Thanks for the link Jools. I noticed that you mention that error
> checking is limited MediaWiki::API->upload. Is this because you are
> having to parse the HTML returned for error messages?

It's because I don't parse the html returned at all. Basically if the
upload does a redirect (code 302), then I assume everything was ok, else
there was a failure, but I give no more details. I could parse the html
returned but as this function is somewhat temporary until the API supports
upload, it works enough for the time being. (My module was created to
replace an old module we were using in some code to manage an area on our
site http://www.exotica.org.uk/wiki/UnExoticA)

Best Regards

Jools