AW: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Jürg Wolf
I agree in some parts with Robin.

You can choose any date you want there is an excuse not to come. If anyone is
interested, she/he will mark this day to come. Or do we want to attract persons
just walking by, listening only because they have nothing else to do...?

I suggest to identify our target audience and evaluate their calendar. If we
want to target on students, a day during holiday would be bad - if we want to
target on sports people, a bright weekend would be bad - if we want to target
on nerds, a date during a hacker congress would be bad.

So any idea, what audience we want to have on our Wikipedia Day? I think, the
main audience should be the press. But they would come any day as long a good
story can be expected. So our second targeted audience are stundents as they
have a big knowledge and have many time to write excellent articles. ;-)

Therefore I suggest a date about 2-3 weeks before semester end / or 3-4 weeks
after semester beginning.

Jürg

Re: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Michael Bimmler
ad target audience:
What I would like to stress is, that we *do not* make only a
"nerds/hacker event": We want also to attract people, that don't know
so much about Wikipedia or people that have already used the WP as
information source but don't know anything about its concept or how to
edit the WP (therefore I also proposed these "introduction lessons").
So if we only focus on students that are anyway often quite familiar
with Internet/Internetprojects, we might lose a good part of
interested people. This is also the reason, why I would advertise the
Wikipedia Day not only in internet-calendars etc. but also with flyers
in e.g. book stores or libraries ans so on, where we can reach also
the 30-50 year old people. It's clear that a lot of students/internet
"fanatics"  will come in the end, but we shouldn't exclude (or not
actively include) other people.
Regards
Michael

2006/1/16, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:

> I agree in some parts with Robin.
>
> You can choose any date you want there is an excuse not to come. If anyone is
> interested, she/he will mark this day to come. Or do we want to attract persons
> just walking by, listening only because they have nothing else to do...?
>
> I suggest to identify our target audience and evaluate their calendar. If we
> want to target on students, a day during holiday would be bad - if we want to
> target on sports people, a bright weekend would be bad - if we want to target
> on nerds, a date during a hacker congress would be bad.
>
> So any idea, what audience we want to have on our Wikipedia Day? I think, the
> main audience should be the press. But they would come any day as long a good
> story can be expected. So our second targeted audience are stundents as they
> have a big knowledge and have many time to write excellent articles. ;-)
>
> Therefore I suggest a date about 2-3 weeks before semester end / or 3-4 weeks
> after semester beginning.
>
> Jürg

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Jürg Wolf
OK - so we might attract 3 groups (until now):
1) press people (they will come as long a story is in sight)
2) internet freaks (they will also come as long it is freaky and cool)
3) 30-50 year old people who have a specific knowledge about a special theme.

On groups 1 & 2 we don't have to care - they WILL come.
Group 3 is not very specific at the moment. To attract sports people, you need a
complete different place/time than for a car freak (for example). I think, they
must have an attitude towards the usage of the internet and a little writing
talent.

How do you think, we can reach these people, or can we be more specific to this
group? Or can we do more than one Wikipedia Day to reach different groups?
Ilario was already talking about a tessin event. Should we do different
events?
What kind of people were at the minibit in Lörrach? Could someone (Manuel, Ilja)
specify the persons, who were at the wiki-booth there?

Jürg

Zitat von Michael Bimmler <[hidden email]>:

> ad target audience:
> What I would like to stress is, that we *do not* make only a
> "nerds/hacker event": We want also to attract people, that don't know
> so much about Wikipedia or people that have already used the WP as
> information source but don't know anything about its concept or how to
> edit the WP (therefore I also proposed these "introduction lessons").
> So if we only focus on students that are anyway often quite familiar
> with Internet/Internetprojects, we might lose a good part of
> interested people. This is also the reason, why I would advertise the
> Wikipedia Day not only in internet-calendars etc. but also with flyers
> in e.g. book stores or libraries ans so on, where we can reach also
> the 30-50 year old people. It's clear that a lot of students/internet
> "fanatics"  will come in the end, but we shouldn't exclude (or not
> actively include) other people.
> Regards
> Michael
>
> 2006/1/16, [hidden email] <[hidden email]>:
> > I agree in some parts with Robin.
> >
> > You can choose any date you want there is an excuse not to come. If anyone
> is
> > interested, she/he will mark this day to come. Or do we want to attract
> persons
> > just walking by, listening only because they have nothing else to do...?
> >
> > I suggest to identify our target audience and evaluate their calendar. If
> we
> > want to target on students, a day during holiday would be bad - if we want
> > target on sports people, a bright weekend would be bad - if we want to
> target
> > on nerds, a date during a hacker congress would be bad.
> >
> > So any idea, what audience we want to have on our Wikipedia Day? I think,
> the
> > main audience should be the press. But they would come any day as long a
> good
> > story can be expected. So our second targeted audience are stundents as
> they
> > have a big knowledge and have many time to write excellent articles. ;-)
> >
> > Therefore I suggest a date about 2-3 weeks before semester end / or 3-4
> weeks
> > after semester beginning.
> >
> > Jürg

Robin Schwab-2
Jürg Wolf schrieb:
> OK - so we might attract 3 groups (until now):
> 1) press people (they will come as long a story is in sight)
> 2) internet freaks (they will also come as long it is freaky and cool)
> 3) 30-50 year old people who have a specific knowledge about a special theme.

You mention an important thing. I agree to the above list except point 3
which I would extend to all people interested in working seriously on an
encyclopedia or one of the other projects.

We could attract the third group by chosing a location which has
passengers walking by. This would be the case in a location like ETH
Zurich or Aarauerhof/Aarau.

I also agree on end of summer term, but I wouldn't on the first three
weeks of the semesters. End of october seems too far for me and at least
for ETH it's impossible to get rooms in the first three weeks of semesters.

Regards

Robin

2006/1/16, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]>:
> Jürg Wolf schrieb:
> > OK - so we might attract 3 groups (until now):
> > 1) press people (they will come as long a story is in sight)
> > 2) internet freaks (they will also come as long it is freaky and cool)
> > 3) 30-50 year old people who have a specific knowledge about a special theme.
>
> You mention an important thing. I agree to the above list except point 3
> which I would extend to all people interested in working seriously on an
> encyclopedia or one of the other projects.
I absolutely agree to this. Furthermore, WP was quite often mentioned
in (swiss) press recently (Seigenthaler, IT professor), so there might
be a lot ot people who see our ads for the Wikipedia Day and then
think "Oh, I've read something about this Wikipedia a few weeks ago,
why not go and have a look what this is?"

> We could attract the third group by chosing a location which has
> passengers walking by. This would be the case in a location like ETH
> Zurich or Aarauerhof/Aarau.
Right.

> I also agree on end of summer term, but I wouldn't on the first three
> weeks of the semesters. End of october seems too far for me and at least
> for ETH it's impossible to get rooms in the first three weeks of semesters.

End of October seems also quite far, could you maybe provide us the
start date of the new semester (at ETH) as I don't know it?
> Regards

Regards
Michael

> Robin

An eternity is very, very long, especially towards the end

Re: Wikipedia Day - Date - new proposal

Robin Schwab-2

>>I also agree on end of summer term, but I wouldn't on the first three
>>weeks of the semesters. End of october seems too far for me and at least
>>for ETH it's impossible to get rooms in the first three weeks of semesters.
>>

> End of October seems also quite far, could you maybe provide us the
> start date of the new semester (at ETH) as I don't know it?

June means end of summer term, end of october/november beginning of
winter term. There are slight differences from university to university.
For Geneva the dates can be found here:
http://admsrvnt1.unige.ch/iqual/eq4b1.nsf/v0A07/D+10-21-02

For ETH and university of Zurich
https://www.rektorat.ethz.ch/akad_kal_termine/termine

Regards

Robin

PS: I won't be able to process mails till friday.