About Wikipedia projects

Anne GOLDENBERG
Hi all,
Hi Andrea,

I'm looking for litterature about Wikipedia projects (and portals) and
their status in regards with the Wikipedia construction.

I know that Andrea Forte mentionned that there's been a focus on
Wikipedia projects, I think it was during her presentation at Wikisym.
But any other references about this is also welcome :).

Anne Goldenberg

Re: About Wikipedia projects

Han-Teng Liao (OII)
Hello,
   The 'Research' page on the Meta is the first place to go.
 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research

   I am looking forward to using Zotero for future collaboration.  Even
now we can start using Zotero and share the references easily by
exporting the individual's local reference database onto the any wiki
pages via Wikipedia citation format.
 http://www.zotero.org/
    It has been speculated that Zotero will be mature and ready for real
collaborative citation.  Hence I feel it might be a great way to start
your own citation database while contributing to the research community
via exporting them periodically.

    After I finished my proposal exam next Monday, I will begin to write
how-to pages.  For the moment, may I suggest we use the Meta page as
portal?

Best regards,
hanteng

Anne GOLDENBERG wrote:

> Hi all,
> Hi Andrea,
>
> I'm looking for litterature about Wikipedia projects (and portals) and
> their status in regards with the Wikipedia construction.
>
> I know that Andrea Forte mentionned that there's been a focus on
> Wikipedia projects, I think it was during her presentation at Wikisym.
> But any other references about this is also welcome :).
>
> Anne Goldenberg

*Liao <http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E5%BB%96>,Han
<http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E6%BC%A2>-Teng
<http://zhongwen.com/cgi-bin/zipux2.cgi?b5=%E9%A8%B0>*
DPhil student at the OII <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/about/>(web)
needs you <http://people.oii.ox.ac.uk/hanteng/>(blog)

Re: About Wikipedia projects

Daniel Kinzler
Hello Anne, hello Hanteng

It was fun to stay with you for WikiSym - I hope we'll meet again soon. We'll
probably justbump into each other at some conference :)

Anyway - Anne, you asked about "litterature about Wikipedia projects (and
portals) and their status in regards with the Wikipedia construction" -- I'm not
sure what you mean. To get an overview of the projects run by Wikimedia, see
<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects>. A more or less complete list
is at <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Complete_list_of_Wikimedia_projects>. Or
maybe you are looking for something entirely different? "Wikipedia" is a
specific project (it's even a trademark). Not sure if a good overview of "wiki
portal" in general exists... there is
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_farms> but that's mostly about
places where you can start your own wiki.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_communities> could also be a good
starting point. I'm not aware of any scientific research comparing wiki
communities -- would be interesting :) The WikiTracer thing may go into that
direction
<http://www.wikisym.org/ws2008/index.php/WikiTracer:_mapping_the_wikisphere>,
though it seems to me mostly about metrics for community dynamics.

Hanteng, thanks for the link to meta, I didn't even know that page :) which
shows that it's probably not very comprehensive -- or i'm not well informed.
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Research_Bibliography> seems to be a good
starting point for looking for bibliographies, I have added a few links to
"folksonomic" collections. I have tried to use Zotero before, but didn't quite
get into it. It lacks the social, wiki-ish aspect. Bibsonomy is a bit better for
that, though not great. I have ranted about this a while ago here:
<http://brightbyte.de/page/The_Bibliography_Thing>. Even sparked some discussion.

In the long run, all this should be tied into a "wiki research planet" type
thing, independant of wikimedia. I look forward to exchange more ideas with more
people :)

Han-Teng Liao (OII) schrieb:

> Hello,
>    The 'Research' page on the Meta is the first place to go.
>  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research
>
>    I am looking forward to using Zotero for future collaboration.  Even
> now we can start using Zotero and share the references easily by
> exporting the individual's local reference database onto the any wiki
> pages via Wikipedia citation format.
>  http://www.zotero.org/
>     It has been speculated that Zotero will be mature and ready for real
> collaborative citation.  Hence I feel it might be a great way to start
> your own citation database while contributing to the research community
> via exporting them periodically.
>
>     After I finished my proposal exam next Monday, I will begin to write
> how-to pages.  For the moment, may I suggest we use the Meta page as
> portal?
>
> Best regards,
> hanteng
>
> Anne GOLDENBERG wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> I'm looking for litterature about Wikipedia projects (and portals) and
>> their status in regards with the Wikipedia construction.
>>
>> I know that Andrea Forte mentionned that there's been a focus on
>> Wikipedia projects, I think it was during her presentation at Wikisym.
>> But any other references about this is also welcome :).
>>
>> Anne Goldenberg

Re: About Wikipedia projects

Piotr Konieczny-2
Han-Teng Liao (OII) wrote:

>    I am looking forward to using Zotero for future collaboration.  Even
> now we can start using Zotero and share the references easily by
> exporting the individual's local reference database onto the any wiki
> pages via Wikipedia citation format.
>  http://www.zotero.org/
>     It has been speculated that Zotero will be mature and ready for real
> collaborative citation.  Hence I feel it might be a great way to start
> your own citation database while contributing to the research community
> via exporting them periodically.

The idea looks interesting, but it seems the plugin is firefox only (and
I use SeaMonkey) :(

In addition to the links provided, as always, I'll point out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies -
the page which has the potential to be as good as, well, Wikipedia (and
which, as far as I know, is the most comprehensive Wikipedia research
database, since early this year I spend lots of time trawling other
databases and updating this one). Do note it is Wikipedia only (not
wikis in general).

--
Piotr Konieczny

"The problem about Wikipedia is, that it just works in reality, not in
theory."

Re: About Wikipedia projects

Han-Teng Liao (OII)
Thank you all for the links!  May I add something about the research
agenda set by the foundation.  I guess that's the key to get some
research funding from the foundation.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Research_Goals