About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Florence Devouard-2
Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
Very helpful"

Flo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Liam Wyatt
Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful, detailed and prepared.
I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for years to come :-)

See you soon!

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata


On 22 July 2011 14:18, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
Very helpful"

Flo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Harel Cain
Thanks!

If the links on your end don't work (they bring you to a MailChimp login screen), you can always copy paste them to your browser URL window.

Sorry about that - some people have problems.


Harel

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 17:21, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful, detailed and prepared.
I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for years to come :-)

See you soon!

-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata



On 22 July 2011 14:18, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
Very helpful"

Flo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l




--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Liam Wyatt
you are making me really curious - didn't get the mail yet, awaiting it
eagerly ;-)

Congrats to the organisers for the smooth organising! It's fund working
with you.


/Manuel

On 22.07.2011 16:21, Liam Wyatt wrote:
> Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful,
> detailed and prepared.
> I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the
> benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for
> years to come :-)

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Harel Cain
I'm also sorry to say that we had a stupid typo both in the Sender field and in the text itself with the OTRS address: it's supposed to read [hidden email]. At least the embedded mailto: URL was fine! :)

Sorry about that (we're working like crazy here and these things happen :-)


Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 17:26, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are making me really curious - didn't get the mail yet, awaiting it
eagerly ;-)

Congrats to the organisers for the smooth organising! It's fund working
with you.


/Manuel

On 22.07.2011 16:21, Liam Wyatt wrote:
> Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful,
> detailed and prepared.
> I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the
> benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for
> years to come :-)

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Katherine Casey
This reminds me of something I wanted to ask - I see in the email that the organizers are recommending the shuttle-taxi thing for transit from the airport. Is there any effort being made to coordinate arriving Wikimanians, so that we can share a shuttle all going to the same place after we arrive at the airport, or is each of us pretty much on our own?

-Fluffernutter

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Harel Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm also sorry to say that we had a stupid typo both in the Sender field and in the text itself with the OTRS address: it's supposed to read [hidden email]. At least the embedded mailto: URL was fine! :)

Sorry about that (we're working like crazy here and these things happen :-)


Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team


On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 17:26, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are making me really curious - didn't get the mail yet, awaiting it
eagerly ;-)

Congrats to the organisers for the smooth organising! It's fund working
with you.


/Manuel

On 22.07.2011 16:21, Liam Wyatt wrote:
> Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful,
> detailed and prepared.
> I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the
> benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for
> years to come :-)

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2
Florence Devouard, 22/07/2011 16:18:
> Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
> Very helpful"

+1

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Katherine Casey
Hi,

On 22.07.2011 17:47, KC wrote:
> This reminds me of something I wanted to ask - I see in the email that
> the organizers are recommending the shuttle-taxi thing for transit from
> the airport. Is there any effort being made to coordinate arriving
> Wikimanians, so that we can share a shuttle all going to the same place
> after we arrive at the airport, or is each of us pretty much on our own?

I wonder why it should be better to take a taxi than the train?

Maybe it's only me, but for me the train is the first and best option.
Especially in this case as the train station is directly in front of the
airport exit, trains run frequently and directly into Haifa and the cost
is less than 10 EUR... from Haifa Merkaz HaShmonha (central station) it
is only a few hundred meters to the Carmelit which brings you just in
front of the venue...

/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

CherianTinu Abraham
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2
Beautifully done ! Great job, organizers !

See you all at Haifa soon!

-Tinu Cherian


On 7/22/11, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
> Very helpful"
>
> Flo
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Josh Lim
In reply to this post by Florence Devouard-2
Agreed. :)

Josh
 
JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Vice-President (2011-2012), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com


From: Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>
To: Wikimania general list (open subscription) <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 10:18 PM
Subject: [Wikimania-l] About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Just got it and wanted to say "great stuff. Thank you very much guys.
Very helpful"

Flo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Manuel Schneider-3
Oi, I got the message, but with three(!!) different warnings that all
prevented me to see it:

* Spamassassin has declared it as spam
* Clam-AV has declared it as a virus
* Thunderbird declared it as scam

Here is the reason why:
X-Virus-Report: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND
X-Virus-Checker-Version: clamassassin 1.2.4 with clamdscan / ClamAV
0.97/13350/Fri Jul 22 14:00:42 2011

X-Spam-Report:
        *  3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
        *      [score: 1.0000]
        *  1.1 DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS RBL: Envelope sender listed in bl.open-whois.org.
        * -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_LISTED RBL: Participates in the IADB system
        *      [94.229.173.68 listed in iadb.isipp.com]
        * -0.1 RCVD_IN_IADB_SPF RBL: IADB: Sender publishes SPF record
        * -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_SENDERID RBL: IADB: Sender publishes Sender ID record
        * -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS SPF: HELO matches SPF record
        *  0.0 DK_POLICY_TESTING Domain Keys: policy says domain is testing DK
        * -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
        *  0.0 DK_SIGNED Domain Keys: message has a signature
        *  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
        *  1.4 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Deryck Chan
[begin joke]
BDS et al. have really gone very far to discourage us from attending Wikimania Haifa :)
[/end joke]

On 23 July 2011 00:44, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oi, I got the message, but with three(!!) different warnings that all
prevented me to see it:

* Spamassassin has declared it as spam
* Clam-AV has declared it as a virus
* Thunderbird declared it as scam

Here is the reason why:
X-Virus-Report: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND
X-Virus-Checker-Version: clamassassin 1.2.4 with clamdscan / ClamAV
0.97/13350/Fri Jul 22 14:00:42 2011

X-Spam-Report:
       *  3.5 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
       *      [score: 1.0000]
       *  1.1 DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS RBL: Envelope sender listed in bl.open-whois.org.
       * -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_LISTED RBL: Participates in the IADB system
       *      [94.229.173.68 listed in iadb.isipp.com]
       * -0.1 RCVD_IN_IADB_SPF RBL: IADB: Sender publishes SPF record
       * -0.0 RCVD_IN_IADB_SENDERID RBL: IADB: Sender publishes Sender ID record
       * -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS SPF: HELO matches SPF record
       *  0.0 DK_POLICY_TESTING Domain Keys: policy says domain is testing DK
       * -0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
       *  0.0 DK_SIGNED Domain Keys: message has a signature
       *  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
       *  1.4 MIME_QP_LONG_LINE RAW: Quoted-printable line longer than 76 chars

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Amir E. Aharoni
In reply to this post by Manuel Schneider-3
2011/7/22 Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>:
> I wonder why it should be better to take a taxi than the train?

In general, the train service from the airport to Haifa is very good
and the Carmelit subway is cool, too.

A shared taxi may be a little more expensive, but it may be useful in
these cases:
* For people who arrive when the train doesn't work (Friday evening,
Saturday morning).
* For people who stay in the hotels, but who arrive when the Carmelit
subway doesn't work (night, Friday evening, Saturday morning).
* For people who stay in the dorms. The dorms can be reached by buses,
but not by the Carmelit subway.
* Some dorms can be reached by a bus during the night and on Friday
and Saturday, but some cannot.

Finally, some people may want to go directly from airport to the hotel
or dorm and not change means of transportation on the way after a long
flight and with heavy bags. I love public transportation and i explore
buses and subways in all the cities that i visit, but i know that not
everybody is like me :)

--
Amir

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Deryck Chan
On 22.07.2011 18:49, Deryck Chan wrote:
> [begin joke]
> BDS et al. have really gone very far to discourage us from attending
> Wikimania Haifa :)
> [/end joke]

luckily it happened to me - there is no way of discouraging me from
attending Wikimania ;-)

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Harel Cain
In reply to this post by Amir E. Aharoni
I can only second what Amir wrote below: with the shared shuttle taxi, it might mean waiting for the taxi van to fill up, and for other passengers to be dropped off at their homes/destinations before you do (both can be somewhat annoying), but at least you know you're brought to your final destination, without needing to ever change between a train and a bus, without looking for any platform, and mainly without carrying your luggage. I think most people will find this more comfortable after a long flight.

Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 19:54, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/7/22 Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]>:
> I wonder why it should be better to take a taxi than the train?

In general, the train service from the airport to Haifa is very good
and the Carmelit subway is cool, too.

A shared taxi may be a little more expensive, but it may be useful in
these cases:
* For people who arrive when the train doesn't work (Friday evening,
Saturday morning).
* For people who stay in the hotels, but who arrive when the Carmelit
subway doesn't work (night, Friday evening, Saturday morning).
* For people who stay in the dorms. The dorms can be reached by buses,
but not by the Carmelit subway.
* Some dorms can be reached by a bus during the night and on Friday
and Saturday, but some cannot.

Finally, some people may want to go directly from airport to the hotel
or dorm and not change means of transportation on the way after a long
flight and with heavy bags. I love public transportation and i explore
buses and subways in all the cities that i visit, but i know that not
everybody is like me :)

--
Amir

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Ray Saintonge
On 07/22/11 10:26 PM, Harel Cain wrote:
> I can only second what Amir wrote below: with the shared shuttle taxi,
> it might mean waiting for the taxi van to fill up, and for other
> passengers to be dropped off at their homes/destinations before you do
> (both can be somewhat annoying), but at least you know you're brought
> to your final destination, without needing to ever change between a
> train and a bus, without looking for any platform, and mainly without
> carrying your luggage. I think most people will find this more
> comfortable after a long flight.
>

My flight with British Airways is scheduled to arrive at TLV at 5:20
a.m. on Tuesday.

- Do the shuttle taxis wait for some number of unconnected people who
are all going to Haifa?

- Is the senior citizen discount on the trains available for visitors?

- Since I would probably arrive in Haifa at about 7:00 a.m., well before
check-in time at the hotel, what is my best strategy for that time?

Ray

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Harel Cain
This type of questions is better answered on the Information Desk on the wiki or on the OTRS queues, but what the heck.

Yes, the shuttle taxis wait to fill up. They have some kind of time from the arrival of the first passenger after which they must  to depart even if they're not full, but that time can be rather longish and it'll be difficult to argue about this with the driver. Bring some patience, and you can always take a nap in the van while it's waiting :) Or you can always take the train if you don't like waiting like this.

I doubt the senior citizen discount is applicable for visitors.

I think you'll arrive in Haifa between 7 and 8 am. Apart from asking for an early check-in at the hotel (not sure how easy it'll be to arrange, but one can try), my best recommendation is for you to come hang out at the conference venue, meet people (we have a few meetings taking place already on Tuesday), chill out, then go to your hotel at about 1 or 2 pm to check in and rest. If you're early at the venue before people start showing up, you can always spend an hour at one of the many coffee houses along HaNassi avenue (next to the venue), some of them surely open at about 8 am or even before.


Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

My flight with British Airways is scheduled to arrive at TLV at 5:20
a.m. on Tuesday.

- Do the shuttle taxis wait for some number of unconnected people who
are all going to Haifa?

- Is the senior citizen discount on the trains available for visitors?

- Since I would probably arrive in Haifa at about 7:00 a.m., well before
check-in time at the hotel, what is my best strategy for that time?

Ray

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Harel Cain
In reply to this post by Katherine Casey
It's a good idea, but rather difficult to implement. Our plans are to have local volunteers at the arrival hall during those period of times when most people are landing. By the attendees grouping up around the volunteers (who'll have some kind of signs) they can then spontaneously group together and board the shuttle taxis together. But it's difficult to coordinate it in advance any more than that.

Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 18:47, KC <[hidden email]> wrote:
This reminds me of something I wanted to ask - I see in the email that the organizers are recommending the shuttle-taxi thing for transit from the airport. Is there any effort being made to coordinate arriving Wikimanians, so that we can share a shuttle all going to the same place after we arrive at the airport, or is each of us pretty much on our own?

-Fluffernutter


On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Harel Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm also sorry to say that we had a stupid typo both in the Sender field and in the text itself with the OTRS address: it's supposed to read [hidden email]. At least the embedded mailto: URL was fine! :)

Sorry about that (we're working like crazy here and these things happen :-)


Harel Cain
Wikimania 2011 local team


On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 17:26, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
you are making me really curious - didn't get the mail yet, awaiting it
eagerly ;-)

Congrats to the organisers for the smooth organising! It's fund working
with you.


/Manuel

On 22.07.2011 16:21, Liam Wyatt wrote:
> Yeah, I just got that email too - fantastically organised, helpful,
> detailed and prepared.
> I always look forward to Wikimania and this year is shaping up to be the
> benchmark conference that everyone compares subsequent Wikimanias to for
> years to come :-)

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l



_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l




--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Ray Saintonge
Dear Ray,

Am 23.07.2011 11:41, schrieb Ray Saintonge:
> My flight with British Airways is scheduled to arrive at TLV at 5:20
> a.m. on Tuesday.

> - Is the senior citizen discount on the trains available for visitors?

well, the regular fare is 38,50 NIS. That's about 8 EUR / 10 CAD.

http://rail.co.il/EN/Tickets/Pages/Calculator.aspx

The senior discount is only available to Israeli citizens holding a
Senior Citizen's Card or Israeli ID Card according to what I can find on
the government websites, the tourist office doesn't adress that topic at
all.

There is only one train line at the airport, take the one in direction
of Nahariyya (נהרייה).

The train runs every 30 minutes at minutes 20 and 59, between 10pm and 5
am only hourly but the whole night through. The journey takes 80 - 91
minutes.

http://rail.co.il/EN/DrivePlan/Pages/DrivePlan.aspx?DrivePlanPage=true&OriginStationId=8600&DestStationId=2100&OriginStationName=Ben%20Gurion%20Airport&DestStationName=Haifa%20Center%20HaShmona&HoursDeparture=6&MinutesDeparture=0&HoursReturn=6&MinutesReturn=0&GoingHourDeparture=true&ArrivalHourDeparture=false&GoingHourReturn=true&ArrivalHourReturn=false&IsReturn=false&GoingTrainCln=2011-08-02&ReturnningTrainCln=2011-07-23&IsFullURL=true

If you are looking at the timetables be aware that you can't find the
airport under Tel Aviv (תל אביב) there - they call it just "Ben Gurion
Airport" and abbreviate the name Ben Gurion into B"G: נתב״ג
The Tel Aviv stations are also abbreviated (T"A): ת״א

Regards,


Manuel

--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About the "Wikimania 2011: Important Information for your Upcoming Participation"

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Harel Cain
Hi all,

Am 23.07.2011 11:55, schrieb Harel Cain:
> It's a good idea, but rather difficult to implement. Our plans are to have
> local volunteers at the arrival hall during those period of times when most
> people are landing. By the attendees grouping up around the volunteers
> (who'll have some kind of signs) they can then spontaneously group together
> and board the shuttle taxis together. But it's difficult to coordinate it in
> advance any more than that.

right.

I am trying anyway, I just added this announcement into the Attendees page:
***
'''[[Attendees/Travel Coordination|Travel Coordination]]''' - check when
your friends arrive and leave, organise joint trips from / to the airport.
***

If you like to organise in groups list yourself here:

http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Attendees/Travel_Coordination


/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
12