Accommodation

Andy Mabbett-2
I have partial scholarship; I registered online for accommodation and
event ticket, but don't seem to have received any details of where I'm
staying - should I have, at this stage?

(I have checked the website, but an see nothing at:

   https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation

or its linked pages, which answers my question.)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Accommodation

Deryck Chan

Related question:
How about those who booked a Wikimania ticket including accommodation, but aren't WMF scholarship recipients? When will we know our accommodation details?

Deryck

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Accommodation

Shani Evenstein
I don't either and would appreciate the details asap.

Best,
Shani.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Harry Mitchell
Nothing here, and with only a week to go before I start my travels. I sympathise with the organisers who are being bombarded with all sorts of questions and no doubt have many other things to worry about. I remember how that felt in 2014. But these are not minor details for people travelling long distances, especially for those of us who have taken time off work and spent our own money to get there.

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <<a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:mardetanha.wiki@gmail.com" href="javascript:return">mardetanha.wiki@...> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Iolanda Pensa
dear all
Everyone – who has got a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario and received a confirmation from eventbrite – has accommodation in Esino Lario. Marta and Patrizia have assigned all the beds.
You will be given your address and keys in Piazza Italia in Esino Lario at your arrival; we expect you to arrive the 21st or the 23rd according to to the 5 or 3 days ticket you got.
Marta will send you today some further information about your travel and arrival.

Pleonastic, but
If you did not buy a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario, you don’t have accommodation in Esino Lario.
If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.
Eventually you can get worried if you don’t have an eventbrite confirmation.

I personally consider wikipedians and wikimedians the most intelligent people I can spend time with. We certainly pretend you to get to Esino Lario, to find the right bus, to take the train in the right direction (please note that Tirano is not Torino), to sign up for events and to read (and cite) all necessary sources. Certainly… it’s the beginning of a great adventure.
iolanda

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <<a shape="rect" ymailto="mailto:mardetanha.wiki@gmail.com" href="javascript:return" class="">mardetanha.wiki@...> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Shani Evenstein
Iolanda,

I have confirmation for the event itself, but I did not get any confirmation re accommodations.
This has been filled out a long time ago and we have been waiting and waiting for an answer on accommodation.
We were told it will be sent out this week. Now you are saying "you either have accommodation or you don't".
This is very vague and many people do not know where they stand.
Who can we contact to check what's happening and whether or not we have been allocated a place to stay?

Thanks,
Shani.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear all
Everyone – who has got a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario and received a confirmation from eventbrite – has accommodation in Esino Lario. Marta and Patrizia have assigned all the beds.
You will be given your address and keys in Piazza Italia in Esino Lario at your arrival; we expect you to arrive the 21st or the 23rd according to to the 5 or 3 days ticket you got.
Marta will send you today some further information about your travel and arrival.

Pleonastic, but
If you did not buy a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario, you don’t have accommodation in Esino Lario.
If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.
Eventually you can get worried if you don’t have an eventbrite confirmation.

I personally consider wikipedians and wikimedians the most intelligent people I can spend time with. We certainly pretend you to get to Esino Lario, to find the right bus, to take the train in the right direction (please note that Tirano is not Torino), to sign up for events and to read (and cite) all necessary sources. Certainly… it’s the beginning of a great adventure.
iolanda

Il giorno 13 giu 2016, alle ore 13:03, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Nothing here, and with only a week to go before I start my travels. I sympathise with the organisers who are being bombarded with all sorts of questions and no doubt have many other things to worry about. I remember how that felt in 2014. But these are not minor details for people travelling long distances, especially for those of us who have taken time off work and spent our own money to get there.

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Risker
Iolanda, for those of us traveling from outside of Europe, we will normally have to provide a proper destination address as part of our customs and immigration process.  "Esino Lario" won't normally be enough; in fact, it's my experience that at least half the time when traveling to Europe, I have had to show my reservation confirmation.  We also need our destination address to include it in our luggage so that if it is misdirected, there is still some chance that it might find us before the conference is over.  Having had my luggage go missing on more than one transatlantic flight - knowing that my destination address is well identified in association with my luggage is a Big Deal.  Again, just "Esino Lario" isn't going to cut it.  An actual address is required.

Risker/Anne

On 13 June 2016 at 08:24, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear all
Everyone – who has got a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario and received a confirmation from eventbrite – has accommodation in Esino Lario. Marta and Patrizia have assigned all the beds.
You will be given your address and keys in Piazza Italia in Esino Lario at your arrival; we expect you to arrive the 21st or the 23rd according to to the 5 or 3 days ticket you got.
Marta will send you today some further information about your travel and arrival.

Pleonastic, but
If you did not buy a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario, you don’t have accommodation in Esino Lario.
If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.
Eventually you can get worried if you don’t have an eventbrite confirmation.

I personally consider wikipedians and wikimedians the most intelligent people I can spend time with. We certainly pretend you to get to Esino Lario, to find the right bus, to take the train in the right direction (please note that Tirano is not Torino), to sign up for events and to read (and cite) all necessary sources. Certainly… it’s the beginning of a great adventure.
iolanda

Il giorno 13 giu 2016, alle ore 13:03, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Nothing here, and with only a week to go before I start my travels. I sympathise with the organisers who are being bombarded with all sorts of questions and no doubt have many other things to worry about. I remember how that felt in 2014. But these are not minor details for people travelling long distances, especially for those of us who have taken time off work and spent our own money to get there.

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Andrew Lih-2
Hi all,

This is not official but practical advice for attendees — if your luggage is lost/delayed/separated from you, it will likely never make it to you in Esino Lario during the conference. It is too far, and off the main transportation routes for any airline to deliver it to you. They’ll probably hold it at the main airport for when you return.

Therefore, please pack and keep with you as carry on luggage a bare minimum of clothes/toiletries/medication you need for the entire conference in case the worst happens.

Safe travels,
-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
Email: [hidden email]
WEB: http://www.andrewlih.com
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

Iolanda, I find this entirely unsatisfactory:

If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.

The link never worked the many times I tried. Andy Mabbett and I have reported to you the problems with the Eventbrite link being listed as “unavailable.” Your current schedule says on a main travel day of Thursday, 23 June, only enough people (4?) have requested Malpensa -> Esino transportation. I find that hard to believe considering the volume of folks going to the conference.

Can we please get some more help for coordinating travel from the Wikimania team? I feel we are working in the dark here. Thanks.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear all
Everyone – who has got a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario and received a confirmation from eventbrite – has accommodation in Esino Lario. Marta and Patrizia have assigned all the beds.
You will be given your address and keys in Piazza Italia in Esino Lario at your arrival; we expect you to arrive the 21st or the 23rd according to to the 5 or 3 days ticket you got.
Marta will send you today some further information about your travel and arrival.

Pleonastic, but
If you did not buy a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario, you don’t have accommodation in Esino Lario.
If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.
Eventually you can get worried if you don’t have an eventbrite confirmation.

I personally consider wikipedians and wikimedians the most intelligent people I can spend time with. We certainly pretend you to get to Esino Lario, to find the right bus, to take the train in the right direction (please note that Tirano is not Torino), to sign up for events and to read (and cite) all necessary sources. Certainly… it’s the beginning of a great adventure.
iolanda

Il giorno 13 giu 2016, alle ore 13:03, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Nothing here, and with only a week to go before I start my travels. I sympathise with the organisers who are being bombarded with all sorts of questions and no doubt have many other things to worry about. I remember how that felt in 2014. But these are not minor details for people travelling long distances, especially for those of us who have taken time off work and spent our own money to get there.

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Takashi OTA
Hi Risker (and all),

This is not official but practical advice for attendees.

Rosa delle Alpi is one of the hotels listed in
the accomodation page.
https://wikimania2016.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation/Esino_Lario

The address is:
Via Adamello, 36
23825 ESINO LARIO (LC)
(according to http://www.rosadellealpi.it/)

You might not stay at Rosa delle Alpi, but the immigration officers won't care
about it :-p

--Takashi Ota [[U:Takot]]

2016年6月13日(月) 21:54 Risker <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

<[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Gnangarra
lying on immigration forms isnt the best of ideas,  if found out(small risk) it'll see you having trouble obtaining visas for many countries in the future.

a cynical person would think that this is part of conspiracy to drive away community support for Wikimanias in the future.

Hi Risker (and all),

<[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Tomasz Ganicz
There is small risk with putting false address - as immigration officers sometimes requires confirmation of booking of accommodation. I guess - maybe not for reach looking people from reach countries - but if you claim staying in 4 star hotel, and looking poor - it is is automatically suspicious...

Hi Risker (and all),

<[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Mari Vallik
Dear Wikimania team

First of all, let me say that I appreciate all your hard work on the event and I can't even begin to imagine the workload you all must have. However, I too find such response entirely unsatisfactory - if the organising team made the decision to hold the event at a remote location, I find that it is a justified expectation that you would provide means for people to get to and from the venue. As it has been mentioned before, I too experienced problems with Eventbrite with the link not working, the tickets for the transfer being "unavailable" well before the deadline for registration and then received no answer to my inquiry about it for about a week.
I empathize with you all, I really do, I know the workload must be immense, but at the same time, the problem with the registration system and the general lack of information about the transport/accommodation situation is hardly the attendees' fault and I feel like at this point (with one week left until the conference) just shrugging shoulders and saying "well, if you don't have the ticket, you don't have transfer/accommodation" is, quite frankly, unbelievable. I do hope it will all work out well and will look forward to a productive conference.

Best of luck to the team,
Mari Vallik

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

Re: Accommodation - address for immigration purposes and luggage lost

Iolanda Pensa
For immigration purposes and luggage lost, please communicate the address
Associazione Comitato Wikimania Esino Lario 2016
via Montefiori 19
23825 Esino Lario

It is the association managing the accommodation during Wikimania. We centralized the registration and the accommodation, and we will be communicating all the data to the police as requested by the Italian legislation. The association is based at Villa Clotilde which will host the offices during Wikimania and it will always be open.

In case of visa recipients who requested the letter from an hotel, please use the address we already provided you.
thanks
iolanda

<[hidden email]> wrote:

On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Accommodation

Marta Pigazzini
Dear Andrew,

the link worked, it has been active until the 31st of may and we have received a number of bookings for the bus transfer from the airport to Esino and back. It was closed on the 31st in order for us to define the number of buses and set a timetable.
Stuart is now working on re-opening the registration to buy the remaining seats at the following link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wikimania-2016-airport-transfers-tickets-22670558250

Please also note that the main arrival is on the 21st of June (we are expecting approx. 70% of participants on this day). This is why we do not have many people booked for Thursday the 23rd.

Kind regards,
Marta

BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://www.wikipediarevolution.com
PROJECT: Wiki Makes Video http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wiki_Makes_Video

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Iolanda Pensa <[hidden email]> wrote:
dear all
Everyone – who has got a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario and received a confirmation from eventbrite – has accommodation in Esino Lario. Marta and Patrizia have assigned all the beds.
You will be given your address and keys in Piazza Italia in Esino Lario at your arrival; we expect you to arrive the 21st or the 23rd according to to the 5 or 3 days ticket you got.
Marta will send you today some further information about your travel and arrival.

Pleonastic, but
If you did not buy a ticket with accommodation in Esino Lario, you don’t have accommodation in Esino Lario.
If you did not buy a ticket for your direct transport from and to the airport, you do not have direct transport from and to the airport.
Eventually you can get worried if you don’t have an eventbrite confirmation.

I personally consider wikipedians and wikimedians the most intelligent people I can spend time with. We certainly pretend you to get to Esino Lario, to find the right bus, to take the train in the right direction (please note that Tirano is not Torino), to sign up for events and to read (and cite) all necessary sources. Certainly… it’s the beginning of a great adventure.
iolanda

Il giorno 13 giu 2016, alle ore 13:03, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Nothing here, and with only a week to go before I start my travels. I sympathise with the organisers who are being bombarded with all sorts of questions and no doubt have many other things to worry about. I remember how that felt in 2014. But these are not minor details for people travelling long distances, especially for those of us who have taken time off work and spent our own money to get there.

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Fwd: Accommodation

Andy Mabbett-2
[resending this, as it went to Andrew, not the list]

Re: Accommodation

Marta Pigazzini
Dear Shani,

I confirm that if you have registered on eventbrite for the ticket with accommodation then you have been allocated a place to stay in Esino. If you want more specific information please send an e-mail to

Marta

Il 13/06/16 14:32, Shani ha scritto:
> [...]

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

Asaf Bartov-2
(how about we just assume absolutely everyone who registered for accommodation *is* interested in more details, and save them the trouble of writing individual e-mails?  If the organizers can just confirm that everyone will receive "more details" about *their specific* accommodation in the coming 24-48 hours, I'm sure lots of people would be quite relieved.)

   A.

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 2:15 PM, Marta Pigazzini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

Could we trouble the organisers at least for a date by which we'll have some information on where we're staying?

Thanks,
Harry

On Mon, 13 Jun, 2016 at 11:47, Andy Mabbett
On 6 June 2016 at 15:26, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as elllie put on her previous emails, you will receive details separately
> very soon

A week has passed since the above reply; I'm concerned that I still
have no information about where I shall be staying, nor indeed whether
I have somewhere to stay. Does anyone else?

    Asaf Bartov
    Wikimedia Foundation

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!