Action API

Ed Hertzog
I am looking to query the API to get back a list of all Wikimedia projects and, hopefully, some relevant metadata.

My first question is, is 'namespace' the term used to describe a Wikimedia project? Also, is there a query I can use to do that? I'm having some issues finding that information in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Action API

Michael Holloway
Hi Ed,

The information I think you're looking for is available via the API's sitematrix action:

The Wikimedia projects are typically referred to as "projects" (in the context of their content and contributors' day-to-day work) or "sites" (usually in the context of their technical infrastructure and operations).  A namespace is a concept used in MediaWiki to group pages by type at a high level.  Examples of namespaces include "Talk" for discussion pages about articles, or "File" for pages about uploaded media files.  See this page for a fuller discussion:

-mdh

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 6:53 PM Ed Hertzog <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am looking to query the API to get back a list of all Wikimedia projects and, hopefully, some relevant metadata.

My first question is, is 'namespace' the term used to describe a Wikimedia project? Also, is there a query I can use to do that? I'm having some issues finding that information in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Re: Action API

Ed Hertzog
Thanks, that makes sense. This looks like it actually pulls down what I'm looking for:

I'm now curious how that list is generated. I'm specifically wondering if it is a definitive source of truth on what it is producing, or if that is somehow coming from somewhere else.

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:06 AM Michael Holloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gergo Tisza
On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 5:56 PM Ed Hertzog <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm now curious how that list is generated. I'm specifically wondering if it is a definitive source of truth on what it is producing, or if that is somehow coming from somewhere else.

It's reading the same configuration files that are used to decide what to serve for each domain name, so it's pretty definitive.