Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Active meta users v active wikimedia users

RhinosF1 -
Hi,

Does anyone know a way to find out how many  wikimedia users are active
globally compared to active on metawiki?

This mean they've made more than 5 edits in the last 30 days for this.

Thanks,
RhinosF1

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Jonathan Morgan
RhinosF1,

Are you looking for information like this
<https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/meta.wikimedia.org>, or something
different?

- J

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:51 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a way to find out how many  wikimedia users are active
> globally compared to active on metawiki?
>
> This mean they've made more than 5 edits in the last 30 days for this.
>
> Thanks,
> RhinosF1

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
(Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

RhinosF1 -
Hi,

That provides active users for meta but not globally. Anything for global?

RhinosF1

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 18:10, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> RhinosF1,
>
> Are you looking for information like this
> <https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/meta.wikimedia.org>, or something
> different?
>
> - J
>
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:51 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does anyone know a way to find out how many  wikimedia users are active
> > globally compared to active on metawiki?
> >
> > This mean they've made more than 5 edits in the last 30 days for this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > RhinosF1

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
> (Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Jonathan Morgan
Same dashboard, but for "All wikis":
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects

That work?

- J

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> That provides active users for meta but not globally. Anything for global?
>
> RhinosF1
>
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 18:10, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > RhinosF1,
> >
> > Are you looking for information like this
> > <https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/meta.wikimedia.org>, or something
> > different?
> >
> > - J
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 8:51 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a way to find out how many  wikimedia users are active
> > > globally compared to active on metawiki?
> > >
> > > This mean they've made more than 5 edits in the last 30 days for this.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > RhinosF1

> > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > Senior Design Researcher
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
> > (Uses He/Him)

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
(Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Aaron Halfaker-2
It doesn't look like Active Editors works for all wikis.  I think you'd
have to merge activity across all wikis to get a stat like that. I'm not
sure I know of a good data strategy to get that.

If you were to query it with quarry, you'd need to write a query for every
wiki and then write some code to merge the results.  Oof.

If you to extract it from the XML dumps, you'd need to process each Wiki
separately and then merge the results.  Oof.

The best solution to this is to have a common table/relation across all
Wikis and to aggregate from there.  I don't think there's any such
cross-wiki table/relation available.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Same dashboard, but for "All wikis":
> https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects
>
> That work?
>
> - J
>
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > That provides active users for meta but not globally. Anything for
> global?
> >
> > RhinosF1
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 18:10, Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > RhinosF1,
> > >
> > > Are you looking for information like this
> > > <https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/meta.wikimedia.org>, or something
> > > different?
> > >
> > > - J

> active

> this.

> > > --
> > > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > > Senior Design Researcher
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)
> >
> > > (Uses He/Him)

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
> (Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

RhinosF1 -
Hi,

I’ve just seen the replies and thanks to everyone whose replied.

I was looking to try and work out what percent lf the active wikimedia
community are participating on meta and comparing to another wiki farm. Any
thoughts on that?

RhinosF1

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 20:31, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It doesn't look like Active Editors works for all wikis.  I think you'd
> have to merge activity across all wikis to get a stat like that. I'm not
> sure I know of a good data strategy to get that.
>
> If you were to query it with quarry, you'd need to write a query for every
> wiki and then write some code to merge the results.  Oof.
>
> If you to extract it from the XML dumps, you'd need to process each Wiki
> separately and then merge the results.  Oof.
>
> The best solution to this is to have a common table/relation across all
> Wikis and to aggregate from there.  I don't think there's any such
> cross-wiki table/relation available.
>
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Same dashboard, but for "All wikis":
> > https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects
> >
> > That work?
> >
> > - J
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:32 AM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > That provides active users for meta but not globally. Anything for
> > global?
> > >
> > > RhinosF1

> > active

> > this.

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)

> > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > Senior Design Researcher
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
> > (Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Jonathan Morgan
(Last reply to both lists; sorry for the spam)

This sounds like it'd be a bit of work to build, and I don't think there
are curated datasets to help out. I think you would need to...

1. get the count of active editors on Meta for [PERIOD OF TIME]. Easy.
2. perform a query or parse dumps to get the *list *of active editors from
every individual Wikimedia project for the same [PERIOD OF TIME]. Hard.
3. de-duplicate that list (since many people edit multiple wikis in a given
say, month, and you don't want to overcount). Pretty easy.
4. compare the resulting all-projects count with the Meta-only count. Easy.

This sounds like a lot of work to me! Again, there might be tools or
resources for this that already exist, but I'm not aware of them.

It seems like having topline/platform-level counts for active editors could
be useful, as a dashboard or a public dataset. You might try requesting
this as a feature
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?title=Wikistats%20New%20Feature&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics>
for WikiStats. The worst they can say is "no", or "not yet" :)

- J

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve just seen the replies and thanks to everyone whose replied.
>
> I was looking to try and work out what percent lf the active wikimedia
> community are participating on meta and comparing to another wiki farm. Any
> thoughts on that?
>
> RhinosF1
>
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 20:31, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > It doesn't look like Active Editors works for all wikis.  I think you'd
> > have to merge activity across all wikis to get a stat like that. I'm not
> > sure I know of a good data strategy to get that.
> >
> > If you were to query it with quarry, you'd need to write a query for
> every
> > wiki and then write some code to merge the results.  Oof.
> >
> > If you to extract it from the XML dumps, you'd need to process each Wiki
> > separately and then merge the results.  Oof.
> >
> > The best solution to this is to have a common table/relation across all
> > Wikis and to aggregate from there.  I don't think there's any such
> > cross-wiki table/relation available.
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 1:38 PM Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Same dashboard, but for "All wikis":
> > > https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/all-projects
> > >
> > > That work?
> > >
> > > - J

> > > global?

> something

> > > active

> > > this.

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)

> > > --
> > > Jonathan T. Morgan
> > > Senior Design Researcher
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)
> >
> > > (Uses He/Him)

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
(Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Dan Andreescu
Some near to mid-term changes that might be useful for everyone chiming in:

* Active Editors across all wikis is a metric we're working on, and it will
be part of Wikistats 2 sometime this fiscal year
* The new mediawiki history dataset will let you download data for all
wikis and crunch these numbers and much more:
https://dumps.wikimedia.org/other/mediawiki_history/readme.html (we're
close to publishing this but there's sample data for last August)

Maybe a little showcase talk is in order once the above two are completed?

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Nuria Ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >I was looking to try and work out what percent lf the active wikimedia
> community are participating on meta and comparing to another wiki farm. Any
> thoughts on that?
> I think it will help to give a bit of an example of why you are looking to
> find this information, why is it important. Participating in a wiki
> includes other things besides editions (translations for or software
> commits to features used on that one wiki, for example) so a precise
> comparison of one wiki ecosystem to the rest is quite a task.
>
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 9:58 PM Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> (Last reply to both lists; sorry for the spam)
>>
>> This sounds like it'd be a bit of work to build, and I don't think there
>> are curated datasets to help out. I think you would need to...
>>
>> 1. get the count of active editors on Meta for [PERIOD OF TIME]. Easy.
>> 2. perform a query or parse dumps to get the *list *of active editors
>> from every individual Wikimedia project for the same [PERIOD OF TIME]. Hard.
>> 3. de-duplicate that list (since many people edit multiple wikis in a
>> given say, month, and you don't want to overcount). Pretty easy.
>> 4. compare the resulting all-projects count with the Meta-only count.
>> Easy.
>>
>> This sounds like a lot of work to me! Again, there might be tools or
>> resources for this that already exist, but I'm not aware of them.
>>
>> It seems like having topline/platform-level counts for active editors
>> could be useful, as a dashboard or a public dataset. You might try requesting
>> this as a feature
>> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/task/edit/?title=Wikistats%20New%20Feature&projectPHIDs=Analytics-Wikistats,Analytics>
>> for WikiStats. The worst they can say is "no", or "not yet" :)
>>
>> - J
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:34 PM RhinosF1 - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I’ve just seen the replies and thanks to everyone whose replied.
>>>
>>> I was looking to try and work out what percent lf the active wikimedia
>>> community are participating on meta and comparing to another wiki farm.
>>> Any
>>> thoughts on that?
>>>
>>> RhinosF1

>>> not

>>> every

>>> Wiki

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> something

>>> are

>>> for

>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
>>>

>> --
>> Jonathan T. Morgan
>> Senior Design Researcher
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>
>> (Uses He/Him)

Re: [Analytics] Active meta users v active wikimedia users

Kerry Raymond
I think we need to step back from the "how" for a moment in order to better understand the "why".

RhinosF1, what is the original question that you are really asking that resulted in your original request? It may be that there are other ways to answer your question than to obtain those particular statistics.

For example, my guess is that your original question might be along the lines of "is Wikimedia driven top-down or bottom-up"? Which might be answered by looking at who is active on meta and who is active on the projects themselves and seeing how they intersect. If so, that assumption of intersection may be flawed if users are operating with different user accounts on meta to other platforms. This definitely occurs with WMF staff who often have two separate accounts for their work role vs their personal contributions and also for people active in the chapters/user groups/outreach where they need to operate with a real world name (real world engagement tends to need real names), but prefer a pseudonym for their personal contributions.

If you can tell us more about what you are trying to achieve, we may be able to better assist you.

Kerry