Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Karl Bartel
I'm trying to follow the instructions at
http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary#h183-10 but I'm running into a problem
when calling mvn scala:run

[ERROR] No plugin found for prefix 'scala' in the current project and
in the plugin groups [org.apache.maven.plugins, org.codehaus.mojo]
available from the repositories [local (/Users/karl/.m2/repository),
central (http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
the -e switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/NoPluginFoundForPrefixException

I'm running OS X 10.9.4 with maven installed via brew. I know hardly
anything about maven and scala, so it's hard for me to judge if this
is an error on my part or the instructions are missing a step.

Thanks in advance,
Karl

PS: I assume this is the right place to ask since
http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary#h183-2 says "Please send feedback to the
official Wiktionary mailing list as we are coordinating all extraction
approaches from there". If it is not, let me know and I will ask again
on the dbpedia list.

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Karl Bartel
OK, the documentation on http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary#h183-10 seems
to be a bit misleading and out of date:

* The instructions given on the web site don't work for download given
as option a), but that download seems to be out of date, anyway.
* The source checkout requires Java 7 while my maven still ran with Java 6
* There are plenty of links to sourceforge on wiki, but the source and
issue tracker on github seem to be more recent.

I'll try to fix these on the wiki, so please stop me if one of these
statements is wrong.

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM, Karl Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to follow the instructions at
> http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary#h183-10 but I'm running into a problem
> when calling mvn scala:run
>
> [ERROR] No plugin found for prefix 'scala' in the current project and
> in the plugin groups [org.apache.maven.plugins, org.codehaus.mojo]
> available from the repositories [local (/Users/karl/.m2/repository),
> central (http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2)] -> [Help 1]
> [ERROR]
> [ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
> the -e switch.
> [ERROR]
> [ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions,
> please read the following articles:
> [ERROR] [Help 1]
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/NoPluginFoundForPrefixException
>
> I'm running OS X 10.9.4 with maven installed via brew. I know hardly
> anything about maven and scala, so it's hard for me to judge if this
> is an error on my part or the instructions are missing a step.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Karl
>
> PS: I assume this is the right place to ask since
> http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary#h183-2 says "Please send feedback to the
> official Wiktionary mailing list as we are coordinating all extraction
> approaches from there". If it is not, let me know and I will ask again
> on the dbpedia list.

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Karl Bartel, 24/11/2014 08:37:
> I'll try to fix these on the wiki, so please stop me if one of these
> statements is wrong.

Like most people here, I'm unable to help reviewing your edits to the
instructions, but thanks or updating the docs! If you don't get any
feedback about your updates, please do nudge the dbpedia mailing list as
well.

Nemo

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Karl Bartel
Unfortunately, there is not edit link on http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary
for me (although I can edit a few other pages). I assume I'm lacking
permissions for that page. Is there an easy way for me to get my
changes in?

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Karl Bartel, 24/11/2014 08:37:
>>
>> I'll try to fix these on the wiki, so please stop me if one of these
>> statements is wrong.
>

> Like most people here, I'm unable to help reviewing your edits to the
> instructions, but thanks or updating the docs! If you don't get any feedback
> about your updates, please do nudge the dbpedia mailing list as well.
>
> Nemo

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Dimitris Kontokostas
Hi Karl,

Sorry for the late reply. The main developer of DBpedia Wiktionary left 2
years ago and I am trying to support the project.
Indeed the documentation is outdated and any help in this regard is highly
appreciated.
Can you please  try this link for editing?
http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Wiktionary/edit

Can you try to run the project from github and tell me if you run into
errors again?
https://github.com/dbpedia/extraction-framework

Best,
Dimtiris

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Karl Bartel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, there is not edit link on http://dbpedia.org/Wiktionary
> for me (although I can edit a few other pages). I assume I'm lacking
> permissions for that page. Is there an easy way for me to get my
> changes in?
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Karl Bartel, 24/11/2014 08:37:
> >>
> >> I'll try to fix these on the wiki, so please stop me if one of these
> >> statements is wrong.
> >

> > Like most people here, I'm unable to help reviewing your edits to the
> > instructions, but thanks or updating the docs! If you don't get any
> feedback
> > about your updates, please do nudge the dbpedia mailing list as well.
> >
> > Nemo

Dimitris Kontokostas
Research Group: http://aksw.org
Homepage:http://aksw.org/DimitrisKontokostas

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Karl Bartel
Hi Dimtiris,

it's excellent to hear that someone is still taking care of this
project! It seems to be the most promising extraction approach to
Wiktionary and I was afraid it might have been abandoned completely.

> Can you please  try this link for editing?
> http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Wiktionary/edit

Thanks, that works. I will update it later this week in those places
where I'm confident that my basic but current knowledge is better than
the existing outdated text.

> Can you try to run the project from github and tell me if you run into
> errors again?
> https://github.com/dbpedia/extraction-framework

After figuring out how to get everything to run, it mostly worked
well. I have extracted triples from the current English and German
dumps and loaded them into a local fuseki server for some basic
testing. A lot of data is there, but there seem to be at least some
extraction problems. The most obvious thing is that the hasTranslation
triples are not generated. I didn't find the time to understand the
translation helper, yet. So I'm not sure whether that is just a minor
syntax change in the Wiktionary or something is really broken.
Is there anything I should know about the translation extraction? Why
is a helper needed for it, instead of an ordinary template tag with
result triples?

Karl

Re: Adding a new Wiktionary to dbpedia

Sebastian Hellmann
hi all,
actually DBnary is an up to date approach. Maybe Gilles can post something about the current state.

we didn't get funding for the wiktionary extraction and Jonas didn't want to become my phd student :(

we really hope to create a huge mesh of all open dictionary date, soon.

Sebastian