Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Christiaan Briggs
I've enabled HTML code on our office wiki and I was wondering how to
add an RSS feed to it. e.g.: http://techboard.nemetschek.net/
ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml

Can anyone tell me what code to use or point me in the direction of
some instructions?

Thanks,
Christiaan

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Christiaan Briggs
Is it even possible to have an RSS feed embedded into a MediaWiki site?

Christiaan

On 19 Apr 2006, at 6:02 PM, Christiaan wrote:

> I've enabled HTML code on our office wiki and I was wondering how
> to add an RSS feed to it. e.g.: http://techboard.nemetschek.net/
> ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml
>
> Can anyone tell me what code to use or point me in the direction of
> some instructions?

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Todd Pederzani
On 4/24/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it even possible to have an RSS feed embedded into a MediaWiki site?

Do you want to get an RSS feed of new articles?  Look at
Special:Recentchanges, it has a link to (and can generate) an RSS feed.

If this isn't what you're looking for, perhaps you can be more specific.

--
Todd Pederzani

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Christiaan Briggs
I want to embed this feed content (not just a link) into our
MediaWiki intranet:
feed://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml

I've since realised that this isn't just a matter of adding some
html. It seems I need a javascript to embed the actual content.

I tried this, but with no luck so far:
http://www.puuba.com/translator

I'm running MediaWiki 1.6.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5

Thanks,
Christiaan

On 24 Apr 2006, at 1:34 PM, Todd Pederzani wrote:

> On 4/24/06, Christiaan Briggs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is it even possible to have an RSS feed embedded into a MediaWiki
>> site?
>
> Do you want to get an RSS feed of new articles?  Look at
> Special:Recentchanges, it has a link to (and can generate) an RSS
> feed.
>
> If this isn't what you're looking for, perhaps you can be more
> specific.

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Christiaan Briggs
Can anyone give me some pointers on this (has anyone managed to embed
an webfeed into MediaWiki):

On 24 Apr 2006, at 1:46 PM, Christiaan wrote:

> I want to embed this feed content (not just a link) into our
> MediaWiki intranet:
> feed://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml
>
> I've since realised that this isn't just a matter of adding some
> html. It seems I need a javascript to embed the actual content.
>
> I tried this, but with no luck so far:
> http://www.puuba.com/translator
>
> I'm running MediaWiki 1.6.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5
>
> Thanks,
> Christiaan

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Joseph "Joey" C. Campana
You can use magpierss, available at http://magpierss.sourceforge.net. I used
it at the feeds page at
ResearchID.org<http://www.researchintelligentdesign.org/wiki/ID_news_feeds>,
and it works fine.

--
Joseph C. Campana

Founder and Webmaster, ResearchID.org
jccampana at gmail dot com
http://www.researchintelligentdesign.org

> Can anyone give me some pointers on this (has anyone managed to embed
> an webfeed into MediaWiki):

On 24 Apr 2006, at 1:46 PM, Christiaan wrote:

> I want to embed this feed content (not just a link) into our
> MediaWiki intranet:
> feed://techboard.nemetschek
.net/ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml

> I've since realised that this isn't just a matter of adding some
> html. It seems I need a javascript to embed the actual content.
>
> I tried this, but with no luck so far:
> http://www.puuba.com/translator
>
> I'm running MediaWiki 1.6.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5
>
> Thanks,
> Christiaan

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

John Bidder (home-office)
hi Christiaan & All

In mediawiki 1.5.8 the following code works to bring in an external RSS feed
and display it in the main page, within a table.  It might work for you too.
{| style="width:100%"
| <rss>http://web2booklet.suprglu.com/feed/rss20/supr.xml|short|max=6</rss>
| style="vertical-align:top" |
<rss>http://del.icio.us/rss/web2booklet|short|max=6</rss>
|}

The url for this is http://fullmeasure.co.uk/ComingOfAge/index.php/Main_Page

however on my mediawiki 1.5.6 (www.wikiville.org.uk) this code renders as

      short|max=6" class='external free'
title="http://web2booklet.suprglu.com/feed/rss20/supr.xml|short|max=6"
rel="nofollow">http://web2booklet.suprglu.com/feed/rss20/supr.xml|short|max=6</rss>
<rss>http://del.icio.us/rss/web2booklet|short|max=6</rss>

Any tips fom everyone else in really simple 1,2,3, type format appreciated.

Thanks

John
> Can anyone give me some pointers on this (has anyone managed to embed
> an webfeed into MediaWiki):
>
> On 24 Apr 2006, at 1:46 PM, Christiaan wrote:
>
>> I want to embed this feed content (not just a link) into our
>> MediaWiki intranet:
>> feed://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ContentIslands/2_rss20.xml
>>
>> I've since realised that this isn't just a matter of adding some
>> html. It seems I need a javascript to embed the actual content.
>>
>> I tried this, but with no luck so far:
>> http://www.puuba.com/translator
>>
>> I'm running MediaWiki 1.6.1 on Mac OS X Server 10.4.5
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Christiaan

Re: Adding an RSS feed to a MediaWiki website

Chris Earle (CBL)
not sure everyone's understanding what you want, but I think I follow

To show rss feeds on your wiki, MafsRSS parser works great -- I use it to
display a number of feeds on my site, including Recent Changes

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mafs/RSS

--
Chris

news:[hidden email]...