Adding or submitting one's research project about Wikipedia to Wikipedia's Research project page

Adding or submitting one's research project about Wikipedia to Wikipedia's Research project page

Xiangju Qin
Dear all,

   I'm Xiangju Qin, a PhD student at School of Computer Science & Informatics, University College Dublin, Ireland.

   I just joint this Wikipedia research mailing list and know little about it. I guess the members of this mailing list is a mixture of people from Wikipedia (either admins or editors), people from the academia like me. So what are the main purposes of this mailing list? Mainly discussing research (projects or papers) about Wikipedia?

   I would also like to know the following question:

   When I emailed a Wikipedia editor about his feedbacks about our paper (he made some comments about our paper in Wikipedia Signpost-Sep-24-2014), he suggested me to add my project to Wiki-research page in order to get suggestions/advice from Wikipedia people.

   I emailed my advisor about this. He said that he didn't understand the implications of adding one's project to Wikipedia research page. I don't know much about this either. Has any one in this mailing list add his own project to the Wikipedia page? Has you found it helpful and gotten much valuable suggestions/advice from the Wikipedia community about your project?

   Many thanks!

   Have a nice weekend everyone!

   Best wishes,

Xiangju

--
Xiangju Qin, PhD Student at UCD CSI
Address: School of Computer Science & Informatics, UCD, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland

Re: Adding or submitting one's research project about Wikipedia to Wikipedia's Research project page

Jodi Schneider-3
If you want to do research about Wikipedia, you should certainly describe your work on the Research pages of Meta.

There are no negative implications -- and it does provide a quick way to link to a summary of your work.

For instance, my dissertation work at NUIG is described here:

-Jodi

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:39 PM, Xiangju Qin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Han-Teng Liao (OII)-2
It really boils down to the question whether you want to help others and/or get help. See:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Researcher

Based on your page here ( https://www.csi.ucd.ie/users/xiangju-qin ), I will suggest you to compare/contrast your definition/measure of Edit Longevity to Editor retention:

which is authored mainly by the WMF research scientist User:Halfak_(WMF)

Thank you for being honest in reporting that your supervisor "didn't understand the implications of adding one's project to Wikipedia research page."   You might want to tell him that
* one may find related/extra/competing theories
one may find related/extra/competing findings/datasets
one may find related/extra/competing tools/methods
one may turn your tools/methods into useful dashboards for Wikipedia editors to reflect on their actions and outcomes.

[...]

Federico Leva (Nemo)
"Wikipedia's Research project page" doesn't exist, I assume we're
talking of the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki Research namespace.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research

Xiangju Qin, 07/11/2014 23:39:
> I emailed my advisor about this. He said that he didn't understand the
> implications of adding one's project to Wikipedia research page.

Almost nothing:
* the text you write on the wiki is cc-by-sa,
* say the truth,
* addressing comments is nice.
Some process/instruction pages are outdated; if you find indications in
contrast with what above please report them here.

> I don't
> know much about this either. Has any one in this mailing list add his
> own project to the Wikipedia page? Has you found it helpful and gotten
> much valuable suggestions/advice from the Wikipedia community about your
> project?

I've created a category, there are only few pages so you could also read
the talk pages etc. yourself to get an idea. :-)
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Independent_research_projects

Nemo

Re: Adding or submitting one's research project about Wikipedia to Wikipedia's Research project page

Piotr Konieczny-2
There are no constrains imposed on your research outside the declaration that your project is in line with ethical requirements (more or less required by most organizations anyway).

Basically, it's a "best practices" kind of thing; you are telling Wikipedia community about your research, and in exchange, you may get some feedback from the few volunteers (often researchers themselves) monitoring those pages. Nothing more, nothing less, really.

--
Piotr Konieczny, PhD
http://hanyang.academia.edu/PiotrKonieczny
On 11/8/2014 07:39, Xiangju Qin wrote:
[...]

Aaron Halfaker-2
Basically, it's a "best practices" kind of thing; you are telling Wikipedia community about your research, and in exchange, you may get some feedback from the few volunteers (often researchers themselves) monitoring those pages. Nothing more, nothing less, really.

This isn't quite right.  For the last 3.5 years, new research which has the potential to disrupt Wikipedian activities (surveys, interviews and experiments) has been documented and discussed via a light-weight process involving describing the project on meta.  This process of documentation and discussion is a means to public consent and I have yet to see a study that goes through that process fail to run successfully.  While this process was recently scrutinized by a small group including Piotr, it's certainly not merely a "best practice"; people expect it to work like policy. We've had several researchers attempt to run surveys of English Wikipedia only to be stopped and told to follow this process on Meta before continuing.  If you contact me or another researcher at the Wikimedia Foundation, we will help you negotiate this process. (Piotr, if you would like to reignite this discussion, I suggest we take it to a new thread.)

However, it doesn't sound like this is what Xiangju is asking about.  It sounds more like he is asking about documenting a study after-the-fact.  Here, I think that meta has the potential to help you have a "broader impact" (jargon for affecting something other than your citation count).  By listing your results on Meta, you enable Wikipedians to more easily take advantage of your work.  You might even find that your citation rate goes up too since there are a lot of us academics working on wiki stuff who track and discuss research on Meta.  I've actually had a few citations to reports I have authored primarily on Meta.  Regretfully, those don't "count" yet.  I imagine it would have been different if I had a DOI.

-Aaron