Admin Power Abuse

Bacchante Maenad
Almost immediately after creating account for what would be my first time
editing wikipedia an admin blocked me indefinitely.

username : Let's Get High And Edit Wikipedia
IP : 69.60.118.148
Reason given "stoner..." by
"*Freakofnurture<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture>"
*

This admin describes himself as pissed off and also proudly displays a
widget that says he does not do any drugs.  I had the impression, perhaps
wrongly so, that wikipedia was supposed to be more of an open atmosphere
where there isn't such a heavy hand with admin powers.  In other words, a
place where someone's first visit isn't met with an insult (stoner) by
someone claiming to be angry, pissed off and a judeofacist (whatever that
is, but it doesn't sound too nice).  I really do not see what the problem
with my username is.  It is silly, perhaps, but not offensive.

Thank you

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Philip Welch
On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Bacchante Maenad wrote:

> Almost immediately after creating account for what would be my
> first time
> editing wikipedia an admin blocked me indefinitely.
>
> username : Let's Get High And Edit Wikipedia
> IP : 69.60.118.148
> Reason given "stoner..." by
> "*Freakofnurture<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture>"
> *
>
> This admin describes himself as pissed off and also proudly displays a
> widget that says he does not do any drugs.  I had the impression,
> perhaps
> wrongly so, that wikipedia was supposed to be more of an open
> atmosphere
> where there isn't such a heavy hand with admin powers.  In other
> words, a
> place where someone's first visit isn't met with an insult (stoner) by
> someone claiming to be angry, pissed off and a judeofacist
> (whatever that
> is, but it doesn't sound too nice).  I really do not see what the
> problem
> with my username is.  It is silly, perhaps, but not offensive.
>
> Thank you

I'd like to take this opportunity to admonish Freakofnurture for
biting a newbie. That said, I don't think his user name is really
that offensive or problematic either, but I don't feel strongly
enough to think we should accept it. Still, username aside, we
definitely need to do something to make this user feel comfortable
and welcome again.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Admin Power Abuse

The Cunctator
Speaking of silly...

I got attacked for
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376

And freakofnature's page looks like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture

??

ObSheesh: Sheesh.

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Drini drini
I wonder when the action of editing a wikipage became considered attacking

On 3/5/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking of silly...
>
> I got attacked for
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376
>
> And freakofnature's page looks like
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture
>
> ??
>
> ObSheesh: Sheesh.

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/4/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speaking of silly...
>
> I got attacked for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376
>
> And freakofnature's page looks like
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture

Well at least he's not going around deleting userboxes...

(trying to find a bright side...)

Steve

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Steve Bennett-4
On 3/5/06, Drini drini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wonder when the action of editing a wikipage became considered attacking

No, he got attacked good and proper, see the list archives for details
(search on "retarded" and "fascism" perhaps...)

Steve

Re: Admin Power Abuse

The Cunctator
Oh, I didnt' consider the editing of my page attacking. It was the "if
you put it back to the way you want you're going to get into trouble"
that i considered attacking.

On 3/4/06, Drini drini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wonder when the action of editing a wikipage became considered attacking
>
> On 3/5/06, The Cunctator <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of silly...
> >
> > I got attacked for
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376
> >
> > And freakofnature's page looks like
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture
> >
> > ??
> >
> > ObSheesh: Sheesh.

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
The Cunctator wrote:
> Speaking of silly...
>
> I got attacked for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376

"This user is a non-member of the Retarded Fascism Unit."

> And freakofnature's page looks like
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture

"This administrator knows how to spell his fucking words."
"This user is a Judeofascist."
"This user is an anarcho-capitalist, which some feel is unwiki-like, but
he does not give a fuck about them."
&c..

> ??
>
> ObSheesh: Sheesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Hocevar/burninhell

PLEASE, when you edit Wikipedia, leave your POVs at the door...

Re: Admin Power Abuse

The Cunctator
On 3/5/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Cunctator wrote:
> > Speaking of silly...
> >
> > I got attacked for
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:The_Cunctator&oldid=38072376
> >

> "This user is a non-member of the Retarded Fascism Unit."
>
> > And freakofnature's page looks like
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture
> >

> "This administrator knows how to spell his fucking words."
> "This user is a Judeofascist."
> "This user is an anarcho-capitalist, which some feel is unwiki-like, but
> he does not give a fuck about them."
> &c..
>
> > ??
> >
> > ObSheesh: Sheesh.
> >

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sam_Hocevar/burninhell
>
> PLEASE, when you edit Wikipedia, leave your POVs at the door...

I think the idea is that articles are supposed to be neutral. It's
silly to expect Wikipedians not to have a point of view.

I think it's appropriate to Wikipedians to express their opinions
about the governance and rules of Wikipedia on their userpage.

Re: Admin Power Abuse

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
I asked the admin who blocked the guy for his
reasoning, and on my talkpage, he wrote the following:

---
It's a username that promotes illegal activities and
can be seen as an invitation to vandalize the site.
Also closely resembles the disruptive "let's vandalize
wikipedia" and "let's fuck and rape admins" accounts
which are typically blocked automatically within
seconds of creation. Basically I'd block anything that
started with "Let's" on general principal, because
it's probably another sockpuppet of the same select
few individuals. — Mar. 5, '06 [07:00]
<freakofnurxture|talk>
---

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Anittas&redirect=no

It looks like Mr. Jimbo hired cops to go after
Wikipedians that promote "illegal" activities, tho I'm
not sure where these illegal activities are illegal.
USA, Netherlands, the Moon?

Anittas.

Retrieved from
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anittas"

--- Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Bacchante Maenad wrote:
>
> > Almost immediately after creating account for what
> would be my
> > first time
> > editing wikipedia an admin blocked me
> indefinitely.
> >
> > username : Let's Get High And Edit Wikipedia
> > IP : 69.60.118.148
> > Reason given "stoner..." by

"*Freakofnurture<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture>"

> > *
> >
> > This admin describes himself as pissed off and
> also proudly displays a
> > widget that says he does not do any drugs.  I had
> the impression,
> > perhaps
> > wrongly so, that wikipedia was supposed to be more
> of an open
> > atmosphere
> > where there isn't such a heavy hand with admin
> powers.  In other
> > words, a
> > place where someone's first visit isn't met with
> an insult (stoner) by
> > someone claiming to be angry, pissed off and a
> judeofacist
> > (whatever that
> > is, but it doesn't sound too nice).  I really do
> not see what the
> > problem
> > with my username is.  It is silly, perhaps, but
> not offensive.
> >
> > Thank you
>
> I'd like to take this opportunity to admonish
> Freakofnurture for
> biting a newbie. That said, I don't think his user
> name is really
> that offensive or problematic either, but I don't
> feel strongly
> enough to think we should accept it. Still, username
> aside, we
> definitely need to do something to make this user
> feel comfortable
> and welcome again.
>
> --
> Philip L. Welch
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Taking a break

Peter Mackay
Much as I enjoy contributing to the gentle banter of this list, and editing
various bits of the Wikiverse, I'm taking a break for a couple of months.
Osaka, Guernsey, Dublin, Shrewsbury, Charleston, Toronto and other bits. I
get back in May, and I'll catch up then.

I'm taking a camera and tripod with me, and I'll see if I can fill a few
holes in our free photographic coverage.

In the meantime, you'll have to rely on your own resources for comic relief.

Cheers all!

Peter (Skyring)

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Mark Gallagher-5

G'day Bacchante,

> Almost immediately after creating account for what would be my first
> time editing wikipedia an admin blocked me indefinitely.
>
> username : Let's Get High And Edit Wikipedia IP : 69.60.118.148
> Reason given "stoner..." by
> "*Freakofnurture<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Freakofnurture>" *
>
> This admin describes himself as pissed off and also proudly displays
> a widget that says he does not do any drugs.  I had the impression,

You aren't trying to imply that these silly widgets make people look
silly, are you?  Golly, gosh.

> perhaps wrongly so, that wikipedia was supposed to be more of an open
> atmosphere where there isn't such a heavy hand with admin powers.  In

Registering an account is incredibly easy.  What's to stop you
registering a new one, with a different username?

> other words, a place where someone's first visit isn't met with an
> insult (stoner) by someone claiming to be angry, pissed off and a
> judeofacist (whatever that is, but it doesn't sound too nice).  I
> really do not see what the problem with my username is.  It is silly,
> perhaps, but not offensive.

I'll be honest with you.  I would not have blocked that username myself.
  I don't personally consider it a violation of our username policy.
However, I *also* would not have *registered* that username, because it
is, frankly, a very stupid username indeed.

Chalk it up as a character-building experience: you ran into someone who
did something you didn't like (welcome to the world!), and you got the
opportunity to choose a decent username.  This time tomorrow, you'll be
a much better person because of it.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Philip Welch

On Mar 4, 2006, at 11:36 PM, The Cunctator wrote:

> I think the idea is that articles are supposed to be neutral. It's
> silly to expect Wikipedians not to have a point of view.
>
> I think it's appropriate to Wikipedians to express their opinions
> about the governance and rules of Wikipedia on their userpage.

It's appropriate for Wikipedians to express their opinions about the
governance and rules of Wikipedia on their userpage. It's
inappropriate for them to do so in an infantile fashion. That applies
to you and to Freakofnurture.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Tony Sidaway-3
Please try choosing a better username.  It's reasonable for joke
usernames to be questioned, and it's very easy to register a new one.

Re: Admin Power Abuse

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA

--- Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2006, at 11:36 PM, The Cunctator wrote:
>
> > I think the idea is that articles are supposed to
> be neutral. It's
> > silly to expect Wikipedians not to have a point of
> view.
> >
> > I think it's appropriate to Wikipedians to express
> their opinions
> > about the governance and rules of Wikipedia on
> their userpage.
>
> It's appropriate for Wikipedians to express their
> opinions about the
> governance and rules of Wikipedia on their userpage.
> It's
> inappropriate for them to do so in an infantile
> fashion. That applies
> to you and to Freakofnurture.

Is it what you say official? If it is, then I would
like to see this policy. Or perhaps you are Jimbo's
right hand and have the authority to say what is, and
what is not, appropriate. I think that the most
appropriate thing for people to do, is to mind their
own business when something is not harming anyone. And
if Jimbo is Libertarian, as someone suggested in the
past, then he should start acting like one.

Anittas.

On Mar 5, 2006, at 4:27 PM, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA wrote:

> --- Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's appropriate for Wikipedians to express their
>> opinions about the
>> governance and rules of Wikipedia on their userpage.
>> It's
>> inappropriate for them to do so in an infantile
>> fashion. That applies
>> to you and to Freakofnurture.
>
> Is it what you say official?

No. It is, however, my opinion, which makes it correct in every
meaningful sense.

--
Philip L. Welch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Admin Power Abuse

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA

--- Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2006, at 4:27 PM, STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA
> wrote:
>
> > --- Philip Welch <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's appropriate for Wikipedians to express their
> >> opinions about the
> >> governance and rules of Wikipedia on their
> userpage.
> >> It's
> >> inappropriate for them to do so in an infantile
> >> fashion. That applies
> >> to you and to Freakofnurture.
> >
> > Is it what you say official?
>
> No. It is, however, my opinion, which makes it
> correct in every
> meaningful sense.

Then make it sound like an opinion. In my opinion,
your opinion is not correct.

Anittas.

> --
> Philip L. Welch
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philwelch

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Jimmy Wales

Stefan wrote:
> Is it what you say official? If it is, then I would
> like to see this policy. Or perhaps you are Jimbo's
> right hand and have the authority to say what is, and
> what is not, appropriate. I think that the most
> appropriate thing for people to do, is to mind their
> own business when something is not harming anyone. And
> if Jimbo is Libertarian, as someone suggested in the
> past, then he should start acting like one.

If you're asking me to assert an absolute right of infantile stupidity
and freedom to stalk and harass other users, then you won't get it, sorry.

--Jimbo

Re: Admin Power Abuse

STEFAN CLAUDIU TIULEA

--- Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>It's
> >>inappropriate for them to do so in an infantile
> >>fashion. That applies
> >>to you and to Freakofnurture.
> >

> Stefan wrote:
> > Is it what you say official? If it is, then I
> would
> > like to see this policy. Or perhaps you are
> Jimbo's
> > right hand and have the authority to say what is,
> and
> > what is not, appropriate. I think that the most
> > appropriate thing for people to do, is to mind
> their
> > own business when something is not harming anyone.
> And
> > if Jimbo is Libertarian, as someone suggested in
> the
> > past, then he should start acting like one.
>
> If you're asking me to assert an absolute right of
> infantile stupidity
> and freedom to stalk and harass other users, then
> you won't get it, sorry.

If the condition of not harming others is fulfilled,
as it was in this case, then people should be allowed
to their business. That's my argument.

> --Jimbo

Re: Admin Power Abuse

Philip Welch
>> If you're asking me to assert an absolute right of
>> infantile stupidity
>> and freedom to stalk and harass other users, then
>> you won't get it, sorry.
>
> If the condition of not harming others is fulfilled,
> as it was in this case, then people should be allowed
> to their business. That's my argument.

Infantile userpages harm all of us by bringing disrepute to the
community and to the project.