Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Aditya Sengupta
A friend got in touch with me about this. He is currently seeing advertisements on Wikipedia pages (on all pages except the home page). Here is a link to a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/dhKyR.jpg

These advertisements were not visible to him when I asked him to check through the secure WM server. These advertisements are also not visible to him on any other web page. To the bottom right of each ad, there is some text that says, "ads not by this site". I've taken a quick look through the page source he forwarded, nothing looks untoward. His right-click menu does not appear when he right-clicks on the ad.

He is based out of Mumbai and ISP is "Tata Teleservices Maharashtra Ltd". His IP address is 114.143.88.193 (or was, while he accessed this page; I've since had him change his IP address since I'm sharing this one). I'm not sure if this issue is restricted to Mumbai; since the IP address shows up in Pune when I try to geolocate it (though I understand this is fairly common).

The link he is directed to when he clicks the ad is this:
http://www.inkfruit.com/combo-landing?utm_source=CMP1002Combo&utm_medium=CPM&utm_content=combobanner&utm_campaign=Combo. I'm adding this here and copying the founder of Inkfruit since the campaign data in the URL parameters may help identify the problem (also, I'm not sure if Inkfruit is aware of this campaign).

I've copied my friend here in case there are further questions he could help answer.

Could this be a case of DPI by his ISP, or simply malware on his machine? If it were the former, what would be the legal status of the issue?

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Bala Jeyaraman
mostprobably adware in his machine. A smiliar report in portugese wikipedia is here:
http://translate.google.co.in/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%25C3%25A9dia:Esplanada/geral/Spam_na_Wikipedia,_problema_%2810mar2012%29&ei=TqlcT9fyMs2rrAe468GlDA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CE4Q7gEwBA&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522ads%2Bnot%2Bby%2Bthis%2Bsite%2522%2Binjection%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D6zj%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Aditya Sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Debanjan Bandyopadhyay
No, now that you mention him, even a friend of mine in Pune told me that Wikipedia had started ads, to which I dared him to show me and in fact made a bet. He failed to show me when I asked him to, so I took it as a singular even, perhaps, some sort of mistake he made. However, since other people have started seeing this, I though I'd tell you that he is not alone.

I'll ask him further details about his net connection and get back to you guys on this.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM, Aditya Sengupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Debanjan

- Lets make this world a better and more informative place

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-2
Definitely Adware/Malware/Spyware/etc.
Notice in the Screenshot, it says Ads Not By This Site.
It should've been a clue.
Do scan your system with a good antivirus [Free or paid doesn't matter].
If your system is infected by anything, your data might be at risk.
--Cheers,

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Debanjan Bandyopadhyay <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikanth Ramakrishnan.
Wikipedia Coimbatore Meetup on February 12th.
Aliens invaded Tamil Nadu, left their Spacship and now it is a Toll Plaza. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:IVRCL-Vijayamangalam-Toll-Plaza.JPG

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Ramesh N G
I was really amazed on the discussion on the ads on the wikipedia.
Looking at the snapshot, it could really some virus or adware.

Even this should not be the way the ads come to Wikipedia, though I personally never will support this.

I strongly recommend the user to scan the PC for a virus, change browser and check. Also seen some discussion where multiple people has reported this issue.
This means that Wikipedia being targeted by Viruses now!

User:Rameshng

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Swaroop Rao
One can also see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:FAQ/Readers#Why_do_I_see_commercial_ads_at_Wikipedia.3F  for clarification.

Swaroop Rao
(MikeLynch)

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 23:09, Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

nischay nahata
Hi,

One of my friend also reported seeing Ads of Jabong on Wikipedia. Some extension in the user's browser is most likely the source of injection for such Ads. Finding out which extension(s) does this will be in good interest of everyone.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Swaroop Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

With Regards

Nischay Nahata
B.tech 3rd year
Department of Information Technology
NITK,Surathkal

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Philippe Beaudette-3
Hi Nischay,

We're looking into this one.  If your friend can spot the extension and send us relevant code, it would be helpful.

pb
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM, nischay nahata <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Philippe,

I would personally try to find out the extension and look into the HTML code it plays with but that will take a while (I am busy for few days and we have to see if the Ad shows up again). I will reply back in this thread as soon as I have something that can help.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikeit
A friend of mine found similar ads inserted (screenshot attached).  I've asked her to run malware tests and an extension check.

She also tweeted those dreaded words 'Wikipedia now has ads!'

This can become quite an issue if the press gets hold of it.

Any resolutions on the horizon?

Regards

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM, nischay nahata <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Srikeit Tadepalli

Ad by Inkfruit.jpg (104K) Download Attachment

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Ashwin Baindur
I think we should now recommend increased use of the secure server
link for browsing wikipedia. Hopefully that will help.

Ashwin

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A friend of mine found similar ads inserted (screenshot attached).  I've
> asked her to run malware tests and an extension check.
>
> She also tweeted those dreaded words 'Wikipedia now has ads!'
>
> This can become quite an issue if the press gets hold of it.
>
> Any resolutions on the horizon?
>
> Regards
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM, nischay nahata <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> I would personally try to find out the extension and look into the HTML
>> code it plays with but that will take a while (I am busy for few days and we
>> have to see if the Ad shows up again). I will reply back in this thread as
>> soon as I have something that can help.
>>

>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Nischay,
>>>
>>> We're looking into this one.  If your friend can spot the extension and
>>> send us relevant code, it would be helpful.
>>>
>>> pb
>>> ___________________
>>> Philippe Beaudette
>>> Director, Community Advocacy
>>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> 415-839-6885, x 6643
>>>
>>> [hidden email]

>> --
>> With Regards
>>
>> Nischay Nahata
>> B.tech 3rd year
>> Department of Information Technology
>> NITK,Surathkal

> Srikeit Tadepalli

Warm regards,

Ashwin Baindur

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

John Mark Vandenberg
It would good to know whether using https instead of http stops the ad
injection.  I'm not sure that it will help.

To help find the problem, we need to know what Internet Explorer
add-ons have been installed on their computer.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3892/manage-and-troubleshoot-addons-in-internet-explorer-8/

Recommend using Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. ;-)

here is someone showing an ad injector working on Wikipedia in Internet Explorer

http://ipensatori.com/?p=521
(date : March 13th, 2012)

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we should now recommend increased use of the secure server
> link for browsing wikipedia. Hopefully that will help.
>
> Ashwin
>
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A friend of mine found similar ads inserted (screenshot attached).  I've
>> asked her to run malware tests and an extension check.
>>
>> She also tweeted those dreaded words 'Wikipedia now has ads!'
>>
>> This can become quite an issue if the press gets hold of it.
>>
>> Any resolutions on the horizon?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM, nischay nahata <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Philippe,
>>>
>>> I would personally try to find out the extension and look into the HTML
>>> code it plays with but that will take a while (I am busy for few days and we
>>> have to see if the Ad shows up again). I will reply back in this thread as
>>> soon as I have something that can help.

>>> --
>>> With Regards
>>>
>>> Nischay Nahata
>>> B.tech 3rd year
>>> Department of Information Technology
>>> NITK,Surathkal

>> --
>> Srikeit Tadepalli

> Warm regards,
>
> Ashwin Baindur

John Vandenberg

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Srikeit
The screenshot shows that the person is using Chrome so I don't think the IE point stands here.

The ads also seem to be intermittent, my friend cannot see them anymore. Usage of https may resolve the problem, but looking for a solution with the normal Wikipedia may be necessary as several people wouldn't want to bother with using https.

Regards

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 7:56 AM, John Vandenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
It would good to know whether using https instead of http stops the ad
injection.  I'm not sure that it will help.

To help find the problem, we need to know what Internet Explorer
add-ons have been installed on their computer.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3892/manage-and-troubleshoot-addons-in-internet-explorer-8/

Recommend using Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer. ;-)

here is someone showing an ad injector working on Wikipedia in Internet Explorer

http://ipensatori.com/?p=521
(date : March 13th, 2012)

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Ashwin Baindur <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we should now recommend increased use of the secure server
> link for browsing wikipedia. Hopefully that will help.
>
> Ashwin
>
> On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Srikeit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> A friend of mine found similar ads inserted (screenshot attached).  I've
>> asked her to run malware tests and an extension check.
>>
>> She also tweeted those dreaded words 'Wikipedia now has ads!'
>>
>> This can become quite an issue if the press gets hold of it.
>>
>> Any resolutions on the horizon?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:24 PM, nischay nahata <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Philippe,
>>>
>>> I would personally try to find out the extension and look into the HTML
>>> code it plays with but that will take a while (I am busy for few days and we
>>> have to see if the Ad shows up again). I will reply back in this thread as
>>> soon as I have something that can help.

>>> --
>>> With Regards
>>>
>>> Nischay Nahata
>>> B.tech 3rd year
>>> Department of Information Technology
>>> NITK,Surathkal

>> --
>> Srikeit Tadepalli

> Warm regards,
>
> Ashwin Baindur

John Vandenberg

Srikeit Tadepalli

Re: Ads Injected into Wikipedia?

Philippe Beaudette-3
The solution is to remove the malware. The project can't fix something that exists on the end users computer. I will renew my plea for anyone who can get the code of this thing to send it to Tim Starling.

PB