Advisory board update

Michael Snow-3
We're just about to start our board meeting, but before we do, I have a
quick update for you. We have appointed two new members to the advisory
board.

One of them is already quite familiar to all of us - Domas Mituzas. As
you know, Domas recently completed his term on the board of trustees,
and as we value his knowledge and input especially on the technical side
of things, we asked him to stay as an advisory board member.

The other new member may also be familiar to some of you - he is Craig
Newmark, best known as the founder of Craigslist. Craig will be a
particularly valuable resource, I think, with his understanding of the
challenges of growing and maintaining an active, engaged online
community. He also is taking an interest in issues of improving quality,
such as biographies of living people.

--Michael Snow

Re: Advisory board update

mike.lifeguard

Re: Advisory board update

Angela-5
> However, many people don't see what the Advisory Board does, and in
> fact, there have been serious questions about the utility of a Board
> that seems to do nothing (useful or otherwise). Can you let us know what
> activities the Advisory Board carries out, and give us some indication
> of how often they do it?

There's no simple answer to this since each person acts individually
rather than the board working as a group, except for occasions such as
the strategy planning type sessions as previous Wikimanias - the
outcomes of which are at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Advisory_Board. Examples
of the sorts of thing people do include being involved in the
committee for identifying potential candidates for appointment to the
board of trustees, advising Sue on different issues, looking into ways
of improving OTRS, or working with the FSF and Creative Commons on the
license change.

Angela