Airport Pickup

Abbas Mahmood

Image by FlamingText.com

Hi,

When we arrive in Gdansk, will there be an Wikimania 2010 official at the airport to guide us to the venue or will we have to find our way through by ourselves?

Thanks
AJ

Re: Airport Pickup

Morgan Chan
Actually I will arrive Gdansk in 5 days later, but i still dunno where to go when i arrived.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Abbas Mahmoud <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

When we arrive in Gdansk, will there be an Wikimania 2010 official at the airport to guide us to the venue or will we have to find our way through by ourselves?

Thanks
AJ

Best regards,
Morgan Chan
Morgan Chan
Director and Commissioner of Communications, Wikimedia Hong Kong
Member of Communications committee, Wikimedia Foundation
E-mail:[hidden email]
Tel.:+852 9012-2178
WLM:[hidden email]
Skype: ups918
Twitter: morgand536

Re: Airport Pickup

Phoebe Ayers-2
Hi guys,

I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly where to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of general gdansk travel information:

1) the venue is the Baltic Philharmonic, Polska Filharmonia Bałtycka im. Fryderyka Chopina .
2) the various hotels are scattered around the city (all within a fairly close radius to the venue however)
3) here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14
which personally I would print out the central part of so as to have something to show a taxi driver.

A taxi from the airport to this part of the city costs about 50pln. (15USD, 12 Euro). At night it will be more expensive: 65pln. There is a bus between the airport & the railway station (Gdansk Glowny), but that overshoots where you want to be in the old city (http://www.polrail.com/sections/travel/railairlinks.html#Gdansk).

The Gdansk airport is small! It is only a few gates. So you won't get hopelessly lost. Basically, you get off the plane, go through immigration (or not, you'll likely be coming on a transfer flight from another EU country), claim your luggage, walk out the door and there are the taxis. Then it's about 8km into central gdansk.

-- Phoebe

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:34 AM, Morgan Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Marc-Andre
On 02/07/2010 11:09 AM, phoebe ayers wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly where
> to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of general gdansk
> travel information:

Thanks, Phoebe, that's appreciated.  It's the first time I travel to a
location where I do not speak any of the local languages so basic
expectations are useful to have (how much to expect paying for a cab
amongst them).

How likely is it that people involved in trourism (cabbies, hotel staff,
restaurants) speak basic English or French?  I'm generally fairly good
at improvising enough of a pidgin to get by if I have a fair expectation
that I have at least some vocabulary in common.

-- Coren / Marc

Re: Airport Pickup

Daniel ~ Leinad
> How likely is it that people involved in trourism (cabbies, hotel staff,
> restaurants) speak basic English or French?  I'm generally fairly good

In hotels, restaurants etc. people can speak English and sometimes
German (and older people know basic Russian).

Leinad

Re: Airport Pickup

James Owen-4

On Jul 2, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:

On 02/07/2010 11:09 AM, phoebe ayers wrote:
Hi guys,

I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly where
to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of general gdansk
travel information:

Thanks, Phoebe, that's appreciated.  It's the first time I travel to a
location where I do not speak any of the local languages so basic
expectations are useful to have (how much to expect paying for a cab
amongst them).

How likely is it that people involved in trourism (cabbies, hotel staff,
restaurants) speak basic English or French?  I'm generally fairly good
at improvising enough of a pidgin to get by if I have a fair expectation
that I have at least some vocabulary in common.

-- Coren / Marc

Marc,

I visited Gdansk briefly in April before the Chapters Conference and found it an easy city to navigate.  For most everyone once you are in the city center walking will be your primary mode of transportation. For some of the dorms it might be a slightly longer walk (25 min or so) but the small and beautiful nature of Gdansk makes the walk feel much shorter.

While visiting Gdansk I met with 9 hotels and went into several restaurants.  English is not as fluent in Gdansk as it would be in urban and western European cities, but I had no major problems communicating or getting the appropriate message across.  Hotel staff were mostly fluent in english and always willing to help. In restaurants I found a lower percentage of English speakers, likely around 50%, higher in the more tourist traveled areas and lower in more local restaurants.  The same was true for taxis so it might be useful to write down the address for the driver in advance of getting in a cab.  An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or the medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

I look forward to seeing everyone next week, safe travels.

Regards,
James T. Owen

James Owen
Executive Assistant
Wikimedia Foundation
Office +1.415.839.6885 x 604
Mobile +1.415.509.5444
Fax +1.415.882.0495

Re: Airport Pickup

Finne Boonen-2

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 17:50, James Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Airwolf&me have updated the wiki with a bit of how-to-get-to-Gdansk info :)

http://wikimania2010.wikimedia.org/wiki/Getting_to_Gda%C5%84sk#By_air

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

Ray Saintonge
James Owen wrote:
> An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy
> is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the
> pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or
> the medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the
> pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

 From experience, this time I'm making sure that I have more than enough
to last me well beyond Wikimania. :-)

Ray

Re: Airport Pickup

Thomas Dalton
On 2 July 2010 16:50, James Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy
> is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the
> pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or the
> medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the
> pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

That is good to know. I usually assume pharmacists will speak English,
almost anywhere in the world, due to the high level of education
required for the job. I don't know (and can't find - I just looked)
the statistics, but the proportion of university graduates in the
world that speak English to at least a modest standard is very high.

Re: Airport Pickup

Finne Boonen-2

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 19:07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 July 2010 16:50, James Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy
> is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the
> pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or the
> medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the
> pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

That is good to know. I usually assume pharmacists will speak English,
almost anywhere in the world, due to the high level of education
required for the job. I don't know (and can't find - I just looked)
the statistics, but the proportion of university graduates in the
world that speak English to at least a modest standard is very high.

so I can tell you from personal experience that pharmacists here do not necessarily speak English, German or French. However I have found a pharmacy, on Szeroka which does speak some English

Finne
--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

Steven Walling
Since we all seem to be piling on about logistics here...

There seem to be several dorms. For those of use staying in them, how/when are we going to be notified of where exactly we are booked? This wasn't part of the registration confirmation.

Steven Walling

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Finne Boonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 19:07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 July 2010 16:50, James Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy
> is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the
> pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or the
> medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the
> pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

That is good to know. I usually assume pharmacists will speak English,
almost anywhere in the world, due to the high level of education
required for the job. I don't know (and can't find - I just looked)
the statistics, but the proportion of university graduates in the
world that speak English to at least a modest standard is very high.

so I can tell you from personal experience that pharmacists here do not necessarily speak English, German or French. However I have found a pharmacy, on Szeroka which does speak some English

Finne
--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 01:19, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since we all seem to be piling on about logistics here...

There seem to be several dorms. For those of use staying in them, how/when are we going to be notified of where exactly we are booked? This wasn't part of the registration confirmation.

Same Question

and are there any advice on taking taxi to downtown in the Airport?

Steven Walling

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Finne Boonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 19:07, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2 July 2010 16:50, James Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> An additional suggestion for anyone who might need to go to a pharmacy
> is to speak with a staff person in your hotel before going into the
> pharmacy, have them write down the polish words for your symptoms or the
> medication you desire, over the counter drugs are sold through the
> pharmacist so you will need to clearly communicate your ailments.

That is good to know. I usually assume pharmacists will speak English,
almost anywhere in the world, due to the high level of education
required for the job. I don't know (and can't find - I just looked)
the statistics, but the proportion of university graduates in the
world that speak English to at least a modest standard is very high.

so I can tell you from personal experience that pharmacists here do not necessarily speak English, German or French. However I have found a pharmacy, on Szeroka which does speak some English

Finne
--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Jerry~雨雨
Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
MSN: [hidden email]
also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Laudamus quae laudentur
Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus

Re: Airport Pickup

Maysara Omar
Hello Pheobe, and thank you for all the information. Just one question; is there a cheaper way than a taxi to get to where the check in will be taking place? you mention that the bus overshoots our destination, but is the railway station too far/close from that destination, is it doable by walk?

Thank you very much, and see you soon :)
Maysara

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 19:33, Maysara Omar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Pheobe, and thank you for all the information. Just one question; is there a cheaper way than a taxi to get to where the check in will be taking place? you mention that the bus overshoots our destination, but is the railway station too far/close from that destination, is it doable by walk?

The bus is about 2.50 zloty.

it'll be about 20min walk I'm estimating to the venue from the train station. We're working on getting accomodation finalised currently. We'll also update the google map at that point.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

Harel Cain
The airport website lists bus lines 110 and 210 as going to two different train stations. They both stop on many stations on the way.
If someone could point out where to get off before the final destination so as not to "overshoot" the venue, that would be great!

Harel

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Finne Boonen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 19:33, Maysara Omar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Pheobe, and thank you for all the information. Just one question; is there a cheaper way than a taxi to get to where the check in will be taking place? you mention that the bus overshoots our destination, but is the railway station too far/close from that destination, is it doable by walk?

The bus is about 2.50 zloty.

it'll be about 20min walk I'm estimating to the venue from the train station. We're working on getting accomodation finalised currently. We'll also update the google map at that point.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

Phoebe Ayers-2
Guys,

it's like this. The old town is very centralized; the venue is in (actually across the canal from) the old town. The main roads run *around* the old town. So as far as I know you cannot get off the bus at the venue. The train station (Gdansk Glowny) is on the far side of central gdansk; the airport is out of town about 8km. As Finne says, from the main train station to the venue is about a 20 minute walk cutting back across town. I expect whether you want to do this or not depends on whether your luggage is heavy.

Otherwise, I think what I said about taking taxis above is correct -- just catch one from the airport, and it's about 50zl. I will test this theory out in about 12 hours and let you all know :)

best,
Phoebe

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Harel Cain <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.378558,18.535309&spn=0.111378,0.308647&z=12&iwloc=000467b2d0cab269faca5
- I've added on the map, the route of bus line 210 and marked names of
bus stops ("Port Lotniczy" and "Dworzec Główny").

The line 210 is only one bus line that you can directly reach the city
center. Traveling by bus line 110 is a bit complicated, because then
you have to get to SKM (Fast Urban Railway).

BTW Train connection from the airport to the city center is under
construction, so you have to choose between bus and taxi ;-)

Leinad

Re: Airport Pickup

metasj
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Daniel ~ Leinad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW Train connection from the airport to the city center is under
> construction, so you have to choose between bus and taxi ;-)

I arrived in Gdansk yesterday.  What a gorgeous city!

If you are not feeling adventurous, just take a taxi from the airport
: about 50zl.  Taxi drivers at the airport are friendly and metered.

If you are feeling adventurous, you may want to take the 210 bus to
the main train station, and pick up a taxi there.  The line of radio
taxis nearby (if you're facing the station entrance, on the left) are
similarly reliable.  But there are also some unofficial taxis there
which might be unmetered / might overcharge.

If you get stuck somewhere, you can call a taxi:  +48 58 19191

SJ

Re: Airport Pickup

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
Lovely advice SJ

so you was just walk out to the taxi stand to take a cab
or like in Buenos Aires, need to find a trusted  company in the stand inside the airport?

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 17:52, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Daniel ~ Leinad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW Train connection from the airport to the city center is under
> construction, so you have to choose between bus and taxi ;-)

I arrived in Gdansk yesterday.  What a gorgeous city!

If you are not feeling adventurous, just take a taxi from the airport
: about 50zl.  Taxi drivers at the airport are friendly and metered.

If you are feeling adventurous, you may want to take the 210 bus to
the main train station, and pick up a taxi there.  The line of radio
taxis nearby (if you're facing the station entrance, on the left) are
similarly reliable.  But there are also some unofficial taxis there
which might be unmetered / might overcharge.

If you get stuck somewhere, you can call a taxi:  +48 58 19191

SJ

Re: Airport Pickup

metasj
You walk outside to the taxi stand at the airport.  It's a small
airport, compared to BA.  one stand for the bus, one line for taxis.

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lovely advice SJ
> so you was just walk out to the taxi stand to take a cab
> or like in Buenos Aires, need to find a trusted  company in the stand inside
> the airport?
> Jerry~雨雨
> Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
> ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
> Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
> MSN: [hidden email]
> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Laudamus quae laudentur
> Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
> Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus
>

> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 17:52, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Daniel ~ Leinad <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > BTW Train connection from the airport to the city center is under
>> > construction, so you have to choose between bus and taxi ;-)
>>
>> I arrived in Gdansk yesterday.  What a gorgeous city!
>>
>> If you are not feeling adventurous, just take a taxi from the airport
>> : about 50zl.  Taxi drivers at the airport are friendly and metered.
>>
>> If you are feeling adventurous, you may want to take the 210 bus to
>> the main train station, and pick up a taxi there.  The line of radio
>> taxis nearby (if you're facing the station entrance, on the left) are
>> similarly reliable.  But there are also some unofficial taxis there
>> which might be unmetered / might overcharge.
>>
>> If you get stuck somewhere, you can call a taxi:  +48 58 19191
>>
>> SJ

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj