Airport Pickup

Re: Airport Pickup

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 18:17, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
You walk outside to the taxi stand at the airport.  It's a small
airport, compared to BA.  one stand for the bus, one line for taxis.
got it thx!

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:58 AM, Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Lovely advice SJ
> so you was just walk out to the taxi stand to take a cab
> or like in Buenos Aires, need to find a trusted  company in the stand inside
> the airport?
> Jerry~雨雨
> Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
> User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
> ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
> Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
> MSN: [hidden email]
> also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places
>
> Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
> Laudamus quae laudentur
> Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
> Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus
>

> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 17:52, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:01 PM, Daniel ~ Leinad <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > BTW Train connection from the airport to the city center is under
>> > construction, so you have to choose between bus and taxi ;-)
>>
>> I arrived in Gdansk yesterday.  What a gorgeous city!
>>
>> If you are not feeling adventurous, just take a taxi from the airport
>> : about 50zl.  Taxi drivers at the airport are friendly and metered.
>>
>> If you are feeling adventurous, you may want to take the 210 bus to
>> the main train station, and pick up a taxi there.  The line of radio
>> taxis nearby (if you're facing the station entrance, on the left) are
>> similarly reliable.  But there are also some unofficial taxis there
>> which might be unmetered / might overcharge.
>>
>> If you get stuck somewhere, you can call a taxi:  +48 58 19191
>>
>> SJ

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj

Jerry~雨雨
Jeromy-Yu Maximilian Chan, ARAD
User:Yuyu | zh.wikipedia | Wikimedia HK
ChapCom, WMF | ComCom, WMF
Blogger | http://jeromyu.wordpress.com
MSN: [hidden email]
also Jeromyu on twitter, plurk and most of places

Tel (Mobile): +852 9279 1601
Laudamus quae laudentur
Qui mollis et dissolutus est in opere suo frater est sua opera dissipantis
Non clamatis hostilia, numquam esse vos accusatoribus

Re: Airport Pickup

Ray Saintonge
I'm leaving tonight, and expect to arrive in Gdansk on a Lot flight from
Frankfurt at 1715 on Tuesday, July 6.  I have no problem with taking a
taxi, and will do so (with luggage) to the Philarmonic when I get there,
unless I receive different instructions.

Ray

phoebe ayers wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly
> where to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of
> general gdansk travel information:
>
> 1) the venue is the Baltic Philharmonic, Polska Filharmonia Bałtycka
> im. Fryderyka Chopina .
> 2) the various hotels are scattered around the city (all within a
> fairly close radius to the venue however)
> 3) here's a map:
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14
> <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14>
> which personally I would print out the central part of so as to have
> something to show a taxi driver.
>
> A taxi from the airport to this part of the city costs about 50pln.
> (15USD, 12 Euro). At night it will be more expensive: 65pln. There is
> a bus between the airport & the railway station (Gdansk Glowny), but
> that overshoots where you want to be in the old city
> (http://www.polrail.com/sections/travel/railairlinks.html#Gdansk).
>
> The Gdansk airport is small! It is only a few gates. So you won't get
> hopelessly lost. Basically, you get off the plane, go through
> immigration (or not, you'll likely be coming on a transfer flight from
> another EU country), claim your luggage, walk out the door and there
> are the taxis. Then it's about 8km into central gdansk.
>
> -- Phoebe

Re: Airport Pickup

CasteloBranco
I am in Gdansk, already. It is a beautiful city, I`m enjoying the trip.
When can I go to the event hotel? Now I`m in a hostel.

Thanks

CasteloBranco

phoebe ayers wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly
> where to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of
> general gdansk travel information:
>
> 1) the venue is the Baltic Philharmonic, Polska Filharmonia Bałtycka
> im. Fryderyka Chopina .
> 2) the various hotels are scattered around the city (all within a
> fairly close radius to the venue however)
> 3) here's a map:
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14
> <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14>
> which personally I would print out the central part of so as to have
> something to show a taxi driver.
>
> A taxi from the airport to this part of the city costs about 50pln.
> (15USD, 12 Euro). At night it will be more expensive: 65pln. There is
> a bus between the airport & the railway station (Gdansk Glowny), but
> that overshoots where you want to be in the old city
> (http://www.polrail.com/sections/travel/railairlinks.html#Gdansk).
>
> The Gdansk airport is small! It is only a few gates. So you won't get
> hopelessly lost. Basically, you get off the plane, go through
> immigration (or not, you'll likely be coming on a transfer flight from
> another EU country), claim your luggage, walk out the door and there
> are the taxis. Then it's about 8km into central gdansk.
>
> -- Phoebe

Re: Airport Pickup

Lodewijk
i am staying in Hostel Pepperland, just across the river of the conference location. It was pretty easy to get here from the airport - just take the bus and get out at the station and walk here - it is a 10 minute walk.

However, make sure you have small money! (you may need to buy something at the airport)

Lodewijk

phoebe ayers wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly
> where to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of
> general gdansk travel information:
>
> 1) the venue is the Baltic Philharmonic, Polska Filharmonia Bałtycka
> im. Fryderyka Chopina .
> 2) the various hotels are scattered around the city (all within a
> fairly close radius to the venue however)
> 3) here's a map:
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14
> <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14>
> which personally I would print out the central part of so as to have
> something to show a taxi driver.
>
> A taxi from the airport to this part of the city costs about 50pln.
> (15USD, 12 Euro). At night it will be more expensive: 65pln. There is
> a bus between the airport & the railway station (Gdansk Glowny), but
> that overshoots where you want to be in the old city
> (http://www.polrail.com/sections/travel/railairlinks.html#Gdansk).
>
> The Gdansk airport is small! It is only a few gates. So you won't get
> hopelessly lost. Basically, you get off the plane, go through
> immigration (or not, you'll likely be coming on a transfer flight from
> another EU country), claim your luggage, walk out the door and there
> are the taxis. Then it's about 8km into central gdansk.
>
> -- Phoebe

Re: Airport Pickup

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
any advice on exchange Euro to PLN?

phoebe ayers wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am not on the official logistics team so I cannot tell you exactly
> where to go when you arrive. But I can give you a little bit of
> general gdansk travel information:
>
> 1) the venue is the Baltic Philharmonic, Polska Filharmonia Bałtycka
> im. Fryderyka Chopina .
> 2) the various hotels are scattered around the city (all within a
> fairly close radius to the venue however)
> 3) here's a map:
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14
> <http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=pl&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=117126163892714460579.000466478a8b96d9f7d6d&ll=54.351854,18.659163&spn=0.024661,0.077248&z=14>
> which personally I would print out the central part of so as to have
> something to show a taxi driver.
>
> A taxi from the airport to this part of the city costs about 50pln.
> (15USD, 12 Euro). At night it will be more expensive: 65pln. There is
> a bus between the airport & the railway station (Gdansk Glowny), but
> that overshoots where you want to be in the old city
> (http://www.polrail.com/sections/travel/railairlinks.html#Gdansk).
>
> The Gdansk airport is small! It is only a few gates. So you won't get
> hopelessly lost. Basically, you get off the plane, go through
> immigration (or not, you'll likely be coming on a transfer flight from
> another EU country), claim your luggage, walk out the door and there
> are the taxis. Then it's about 8km into central gdansk.
>
> -- Phoebe

Re: Airport Pickup

Amir E. Aharoni
2010/7/5 Dorożyński Janusz <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

Exchange rate can be easily found online, but it would be useful to
know where we should change our banknotes. For example, in some
countries (maybe all...) changing in the airport is much more
expensive than changing in the city.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com

"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Airport Pickup

Guillaume Paumier
Greetings,

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Exchange rate can be easily found online, but it would be useful to
> know where we should change our banknotes. For example, in some
> countries (maybe all...) changing in the airport is much more
> expensive than changing in the city.

Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
change money.

--
Guillaume Paumier
[[m:User:guillom]]

Re: Airport Pickup

Amir E. Aharoni
2010/7/5 Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]>:

> Greetings,
>
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Amir E. Aharoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Exchange rate can be easily found online, but it would be useful to
>> know where we should change our banknotes. For example, in some
>> countries (maybe all...) changing in the airport is much more
>> expensive than changing in the city.
>
> Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
> an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
> change money.

Last time i checked, for Israeli accounts drawing from an ATM is more
expensive. But i might be wrong.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni

http://aharoni.wordpress.com

"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Airport Pickup

Takashi OTA
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
> an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
> change money.

Does anybody know we could easily find ATMs around the venue or downtown
or airport? I hope so (all the time), but I can't forget that Borg El
Arab Airport,
outskirts of Alexandria, did not prepare that.

--Takashi

Re: Airport Pickup

Bence Damokos

ATM's have the best exchange rates that you can get but you should check with your bank the foreign ATM charges they levy and just calculate if it is worth it for the amount of money you plan on spending.

Best,
Bence

fn

Re: Airport Pickup

fn

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010, Takashi OTA wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
>> an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
>> change money.
>
> Does anybody know we could easily find ATMs around the venue or downtown
> or airport? I hope so (all the time), but I can't forget that Borg El
> Arab Airport, outskirts of Alexandria, did not prepare that.

I was surprised by Borg El Arab too. I see that OpenStreetMap has
indicated a number of banks along the way to the venue:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=54.34879&lon=18.65772&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

They don't indicate whether there are ATMs with the banks (or at least I
don't know how to show it).

And for the airport. Someone writes on Tripadvisor:

"Yes there is. I wouldn't risk it, buy enough PLZ to get you through the  first 24 hours"
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274725-i2957-k3408399-ATM_at_Airport-Gdansk_Baltic_Coast.html

In regards to registration: I have received a confirmation late Saturday
and paid. I have not received any information about accommodation. I plan
to take to the venue hoping to get that information there.

/Finn

          Finn Aarup Nielsen, DTU Informatics, Denmark
  Lundbeck Foundation Center for Integrated Molecular Brain Imaging
    http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~fn/      http://nru.dk/staff/fnielsen/

Re: Airport Pickup

Takashi OTA

Are ATMs in the Gdansk requires handling charge, aside from the
amount you withdraw? As far as I remember, that of Buenos Aires
and Ho Chi Minh City charged withdrawal. (e.g. If you withdraw
10 zloti, it'd be recorded as withdrawal of 12 zloti.)

--Takashi OTA [[User:Takot]]

Re: Airport Pickup

Finne Boonen-2
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 14:16, Takashi OTA <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Guillaume Paumier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
> an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
> change money.

ATMs are very easy to find in the old town.

Finne

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"

Re: Airport Pickup

masti-2
On 07/05/2010 02:57 PM, Takashi OTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are ATMs in the Gdansk requires handling charge, aside from the
> amount you withdraw? As far as I remember, that of Buenos Aires
> and Ho Chi Minh City charged withdrawal. (e.g. If you withdraw
> 10 zloti, it'd be recorded as withdrawal of 12 zloti.)

it depends on your bank, not ATM provvider.

masti

Re: Airport Pickup

Abbas Mahmood

Image by FlamingText.com

Image by FlamingText.com

I'd rather you exchange your currency at a forex compared to an ATM at which you are clueless of the rates that they charge.
AJ

Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:10:21 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Airport Pickup

On 07/05/2010 02:16 PM, Takashi OTA wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Guillaume Paumier<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Speaking generally, it is usually cheaper to withdraw local money from
>> an ATM using a credit / debit card (if it's possible for you), than to
>> change money.
>
> Does anybody know we could easily find ATMs around the venue or downtown
> or airport? I hope so (all the time), but I can't forget that Borg El
> Arab Airport,
> outskirts of Alexandria, did not prepare that.
>
> --Takashi

here is the map of ATMs around the venue:
<http://www.zumi.pl/namapie.html?qt=bankomat&loc=Gda%F1sk&Submit=Szukaj&long=18.6611216&lat=54.344454400000004&type=1&scale=5&svActive=false>
or short: http://42.pl/u/2nhN_ATM

masti

Re: Airport Pickup

Takashi OTA
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:14 PM, masti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it depends on your bank, not ATM provvider.

If I have Citibank or Western Union or some international bank account
and when I withdraw from that branch, yes, you're right (I think).

On the other hand, when I withdraw from my (Japanese) bank account through
local bank's ATM in some cities (maybe countries) I told, no.
Completely independent from my bank, the bank which provides ATM in some
cities require that and the message which tells you that fact (that charge is
independent from your bank's handling fee) will pop up on the screen.
That's why I asked.

May someone from outside Poland try to do that...

--Takashi Ota [[User:Takot]]

Re: Airport Pickup

masti-2
If you have Citi card you can use Citibank ATM near the venue
http://www.zumi.pl/1501030,Bankomat_Citi_Handlowy,Gdansk,firma.html
probably this will be the cheapest option for you.

masti

On 07/05/2010 03:42 PM, Takashi OTA wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:14 PM, masti<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> it depends on your bank, not ATM provvider.
>
> If I have Citibank or Western Union or some international bank account
> and when I withdraw from that branch, yes, you're right (I think).
>
> On the other hand, when I withdraw from my (Japanese) bank account through
> local bank's ATM in some cities (maybe countries) I told, no.
> Completely independent from my bank, the bank which provides ATM in some
> cities require that and the message which tells you that fact (that charge is
> independent from your bank's handling fee) will pop up on the screen.
> That's why I asked.
>
> May someone from outside Poland try to do that...
>
> --Takashi Ota [[User:Takot]]

Re: Airport Pickup

Jeromy-Yu Chan (Jerry~Yuyu)
I expect some exchange in cash, Euro to pln, as levy can be huge if I
use a hong kong card