Airport to Dorms/ Hotels

CherianTinu Abraham
Hi all,
        With less than 3 weeks to Wikimania, it will be extremely useful if detailed directions to reach the dorms from the Airport are uploaded.

http://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Accommodation

It says "Hong Kong International Airport by public transit (1 hour 44 mins)"

Local Train / Bus?
Train/Bus numbers?
How to reach the station from the Airport ?
Nearest station for the Dorms?
Preferred transport mode?

It will be useful especially for those not from this part of world/continent or familiar with the local transport system in the country.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Tinu Cherian

N.B. I reach HKG on 8th Aug, 11 AM...So if someone is expected to arrive around that time, please do contact me *offlist *.

Re: Airport to Dorms/ Hotels

Teemeah .
Hi!
If you click on the google maps link provided on the page http://goo.gl/maps/wISQf, you'll get the info.

I think this is very tricky by public transport, especially if you are carrying big luggage. It says  that you have to change metro lines once and then change to a bus and then you also have to walk 8 minutes to the dorm. Or you have to change buses and then again walk. It's especially bothersome for those who arrive at night, like myself, tired from an already 16 hour flight route.... I will take a taxi from the airport. Provided I can change  money late at night at the airport...

Kind regards
Timea

2013/7/23 CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]>
[...]

Alan Lai
Dear all,

It would be rather expensive to travel to the dorms directly through taxi from the airport, however I can see the appeal for a no-hassle journey. Expect around HKD230 for the ride in moderate traffic and a HKD5 surcharge for every piece of luggage.

The budget option is to take the airport bus E22 which costs HKD18 and brings you close to but unfortunately not exactly at the dorms. The bus stop you're getting off is called Kam Shing Road which is a stop on Junction Road, a main road next to the Baptist University. Walking directions from the bus stop can be found on http://goo.gl/maps/vuODx This involves crossing the pedestrian crossings at grade on Junction Road and Renfrew Road, and takes around 8 minutes walking downhill as Timea says. You may familiarise yourself with the walking environment by using Google Street View.

There are also other travelling options and the Organisers will write a joining instruction for those who are coming to stay in the dorms.

Best regards,
Alan
Sent on the road

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Alan!

It's quite a walking distance with luggage, esp. alone at night, in a totally unfamiliar place. Taxi might be expensive but it's certainly more convenient for late night travel. I might be willing to try public transportation if I had travel companions...

Anyone arriving on the 6th by Qatar, landing at 21:20? :DDD You can drop me a private mail. :)))

Kind regards
Timea

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Netha Hussain
Hi all,

  The travel co-ordination page can be viewed here : http://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Attendees/Travel_Coordination

Entering your travel details on the page may help you to connect with those looking for travel companions, and also to organize group trips to and from the airport.

Netha

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Student of Medicine and Surgery
Govt. Medical College, Kozhikode

Blogs : nethahussain.blogspot.com
swethaambari.wordpress.com

Re: Airport to Dorms/ Hotels

CherianTinu Abraham
Added myself ! :)

Any idea about the taxi system in Hong Kong? Do they always run by meter? Do we have to bargain? Tips for taking taxis? Where to pick up taxi from HKG airport?

Like Teemeah said, not everyone may want to struggle on the local transport with heavy luggage after a long flight.

Regards
Tinu Cherian

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Joseph Fox
I'm not speaking in any professional capacity (I've never been to HK either, only the airport!) but I imagine taxis will be easily sited by the airport arrivals, and that you'd follow the signs for "taxis". This is pretty consistent in big airports, as is the use of English, obviously.

You can find some basic information on the country and how things work (as well as things to do and see) on the Hong Kong subreddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong). There's also the WikiVoyage page for Hong Kong which is useful for research before you go (http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Hong_Kong).

Of course this information isn't as good as that from a native, so I'm more than happy to be overruled. :)

Joe

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The first thing you need to know about the taxi system in Hong Kong is that there are three types of taxis in Hong Kong although you'll probably encounter one type of taxi only outside the airport.

The Urban Taxis (in red) go to every road in Hong Kong except the southern part of Lantau (the large island south of the airport) where it is only served by the Lantau Taxis (in blue). There's also a type of taxi called the New Territories Taxis (in green) which serve most but not all of the New Territories. For your journey to your accommodation you'd have to choose the Urban Taxis.

All taxis have meters and you're obligated to pay the fare on the meter. Please note that surcharges such as tolls and luggage will have to be paid on top of the metered fare and the driver will add them at the end of the journey. Details about the taxi fare can be found here: http://www.td.gov.hk/en/transport_in_hong_kong/public_transport/taxi/taxi_fare_of_hong_kong/index.html

There are very clear signs at the airport arrival hall to lead you to the taxi stand, make sure you choose the Urban Taxi line as other types of taxi can't bring you to Kowloon.

As I said, further information would be written by the Organisers this week so stay tuned.

Best regards,
Alan

Sent on the road

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello everyone!

I suggest that people take a look at discoverhongkong.com This is an official tourist website of HK and they have pretty awesome information from transportation to hotels to how to buy an octopus card, in several languages, and also discount vouchers for several museums and sights. You can also assemble your own travel guide and print in PDF or download to your mobile phone, with maps, popular sightseeing do-it-yourself routes and all. :) http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/plan-your-trip/practicalities/index.jsp

"Teemeah ." <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Katie Chan
On 23/07/2013 13:44, CherianTinu Abraham wrote:

> Added myself ! :)
>
> Any idea about the taxi system in Hong Kong? Do they always run by
> meter? Do we have to bargain? Tips for taking taxis? Where to pick up
> taxi from HKG airport?
>
> Like Teemeah said, not everyone may want to struggle on the local
> transport with heavy luggage after a long flight.
>
> Regards
> Tinu Cherian

Pay the meter fare, rounded up to the nearest HK dollar. Don't end up
getting involve in something like
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-22565263> ;-)

The page on taxi on the airport's website can be found at
<http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/taxi.html>.

Aside from the options mentioned so far, you can also consider airport
express extrain into town before changing to taxi? Would work out a bit
cheaper I think.

KTC

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the author is associated with or employed by.

      - Heinrich Heine

Re: Airport to Dorms/ Hotels

Deryck Chan
On 23 July 2013 21:54, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Only marginally (90 + ~70 vs. ~220), I think.
Deryck