Allow '+' character in article names?

HumanCell .org
At present, the character '+' isn't allowed in article names.  Is
there any particular reason for this?  Would it be easy to change?

Many chemical compounds have pluses in their name and on our wiki we'd
like to have articles with the compound name as the article title.  It
may also be relevant for chemical compounds in wikipedia.

Re: Allow '+' character in article names?

Brion Vibber
HumanCell .org wrote:
> At present, the character '+' isn't allowed in article names.  Is
> there any particular reason for this?  Would it be easy to change?

Historical reasons: "+" is used in form URL encoding to signify space. Some
early versions of our software used this when producing URLs, and we've
continued to consume those old links until recently when the ability to use "+"
was enabled for Wikimedia's own wikis.

As of MediaWiki 1.6, you can enable the use of "+" by overriding the
$wgLegalTitleChars setting. See its entry in DefaultSettings.php for instructions.

Note that a "+" needs to be URL-encoded as "%2b" in order to survive processing
in a query string. As with the "&" and "?" characters, this may make it
vulnerable to problems when using Apache rewrite rules.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Allow '+' character in article names?

HumanCell .org
Looks like it's feasible then - just need to move to 1.6

Thanks Brion, much appreciated.