Allowed use of list email addresses

Gary Kirk
Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
to?
--
Gary Kirk

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

NSLE (Wikipedia)
I can confirm that I did. To be fair, the archive is available publicly, so
by contributing to this you're letting everyone know your email address.

On 13/02/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
> ''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
> student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
> supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
> to?
> --
> Gary Kirk

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

Gary Kirk
I know that, and I don't have a problem with that, but would suggest
the user not go about his enquiries in this way.

On 2/13/07, NSLE (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can confirm that I did. To be fair, the archive is available publicly, so
> by contributing to this you're letting everyone know your email address.
>
> On 13/02/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
> > ''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
> > student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
> > supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
> > to?
> > --
> > Gary Kirk

Gary Kirk

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

Christof Sperl
I haven't got such an e-mail, but if that user really wants to use the mail
addresses from this list in any not-so-nice ways I suppose there is noone
able to stop him one he has the address really.

On 13/02/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know that, and I don't have a problem with that, but would suggest
> the user not go about his enquiries in this way.
>
> On 2/13/07, NSLE (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I can confirm that I did. To be fair, the archive is available publicly,
> so
> > by contributing to this you're letting everyone know your email address.
> >
> > On 13/02/07, Gary Kirk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
> > > ''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
> > > student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
> > > supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
> > > to?
> > > --
> > > Gary Kirk

> Gary Kirk

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

Alphax (Wikipedia email)
Gary Kirk wrote:
> Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
> ''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
> student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
> supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
> to?

Yes. I've just checked the list settings, and unless one of the other
listmods has recently changed the settings, only list admins can see the
subscribers.

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

NSLE (Wikipedia)
Unless they get the addresses from actually READING the messages ;)

On 13/02/07, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gary Kirk wrote:
> > Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
> > ''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
> > student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
> > supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
> > to?
>
> Yes. I've just checked the list settings, and unless one of the other
> listmods has recently changed the settings, only list admins can see the
> subscribers.
>
> --
> Alphax - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax
> Contributor to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
> "We make the internet not suck" - Jimbo Wales
> Public key: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Alphax/OpenPGP

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

Oskar Sigvardsson
On 2/13/07, NSLE (Wikipedia) <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unless they get the addresses from actually READING the messages ;)

It wouldn't be an impossible programming task to parse the gzip'ed
text archives for a whole lot of e-mail address goodness. In fact,
it'd be quite easy.

--Oskar

Re: Allowed use of list email addresses

Ray Saintonge
Gary Kirk wrote:

>Did anyone else receive an email recently with the subject
>''Requesting to make comments for e-learning wiki''? I did, from a
>student in Thailand, and I found it rather rude. Surely people are not
>supposed to randomly grab addresses from mailing lists they subscribe
>to?

I received it, but didn't find him to be particularly rude in his request.

Ec