An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Ian Woollard
Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:

And right at the end it says:

Hector, who started the 'gnupedia' project recently wrote this on his
mailing list:

"Now, the FSF's plans are give all the support to the Nupedia project.
So Nupedia will become the official GNU encyclopedia."

-0) "Nupedia seems to be too centralized and slow moving for me. I
understand the need for quality control, but wouldn't it make more
sense to have a more bazaar-type free encyclopedia project?"

Maybe so! People who want to get started _today_ on contributing free
texts to the world can do so at Wikipedia. All the content is released
under the GNU FDL, and it already has over 1000 articles. Short, and
maybe not the high quality of Nupedia, but with time? Who knows..."

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
world would be pretty ghastly though.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Sean Barrett-3
Ian Woollard arranged electrons to indicate (back on 04/13/2009 10:09
AM) that:
> Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/02/1422244

Shortly after reading that Slashdot article I became Wikipedia user #30.

--
 Sean Barrett       | It's impossible! I'm far too busy, so ask me
 [hidden email]   | now before I again become sane. --Edna Mode

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

WJhonson
Ian Woollard arranged electrons to indicate (back on 04/13/2009 10:09
AM) that:
> Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/02/1422244

Shortly after reading that Slashdot article I became Wikipedia user #30.

--------------------------

There's a way to tell the order in which people joined Wikipedia?
What is it?

Will Johnson

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Carcharoth
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> There's a way to tell the order in which people joined Wikipedia?
> What is it?

Possibly [[Special:Preferences]], and your user ID.
My user ID is between 165,000 and 166,000.
And I created my account on 8 January 2005.

Carcharoth

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

WJhonson
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:04 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> There's a way to tell the order in which people joined Wikipedia?
> What is it?

Possibly [[Special:Preferences]], and your user ID.
My user ID is between 165,000 and 166,000.
And I created my account on 8 January 2005.

Carcharoth
---------------------------------

I never knew this.  Checking now I see that
I am Wikipedian #29958 (in order of creation), having created my
account Nov 2003

Will Johnson

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Ray Saintonge
Delirium wrote:

> Larry Sanger wrote:
>
>> I can recognize when I am no longer welcome.  I didn't really believe I ever
>> was welcome to begin with, but I was willing to try.  I've always been
>> optimistic.
>>
>> I assume that, since the self-appointed silencers among you are apparently
>> operating with impunity, I could not possibly continue to press my case here
>> without continuing to cause an uproar among them.  So I will stop.  Those
>> who wanted to silence me have done so successfully, just as your fearless
>> leader did on [[User talk:Jimmy Wales]].
>>
> For what it's worth, I don't think you're actually nearly as unwelcome
> here as you seem to think. If you have meta-level proposals you want to
> advance --- Wikipedia should change X because of Y --- I think people
> would take them seriously, especially if there was a concrete,
> potentially workable proposal. Such proposals would at the very least
> spark discussion.
>
> It's just that nobody wants to debate "who founded Wikipedia" on this
> list. We don't even necessarily all disagree with you on the subject.
> But it's not clear what gain will be had by debating it here, or what
> the outcome is supposed to be. Lots of people saying they agree? I don't
> actually think Jimmy would get a much more favorable reaction if he
> started trying to debate similar issues here, either.
>
> I think you might also be aiming at the wrong audience to some extent.
> You seem to accept the media-narrative "founder myth" of Wikipedia as
> this thing that sprang whole cloth out of nothingness due to the
> ingenuity of Jimmy Wales; save only that you'd like to modify the credit
> to include Larry Sanger in an equally or more prominent role. But my
> impression is that this is mainly an external view. Most of the
> knowledgeable Wikipedians I know take a more complex view, crediting to
> various degrees: Ward Cunningham's development of wikis; the development
> of community and social norms on WikiWikiWeb and MeatballWiki; the
> expansion of subject-specific wiki encyclopedias from the original
> design-patterns-encyclopedia focus of WikiWikiWeb to cover ever more
> areas of knowledge; the parallel cropping up of non-wiki "all human
> knowledge written by random people on the internet" compendia like
> Everything2; and so on. You and Jimmy were among many actors in that sea
> of ideas; what precise credit is due to each such actor for developing
> those ideas or accelerating their spread and recombination is probably a
> matter for historians more than us. But on the whole if you want a
> bigger role in a simplified founding saga, you might be addressing the
> wrong audience if many of us don't believe in the saga to begin with. =]

I would suggest that the best place for an open discussion would be a
face-to-face encounter between Jimmy and Larry at Wikimania.  Perhaps
Ward and Sunir and other key historical persons could also be present
for this.

Following that Larry could be appointed to the advisory board at the
usual salary.

Ec

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Daniel R. Tobias
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:04:20 -0700, Delirium wrote:

> I think you might also be aiming at the wrong audience to some extent.
> You seem to accept the media-narrative "founder myth" of Wikipedia as
> this thing that sprang whole cloth out of nothingness due to the
> ingenuity of Jimmy Wales; save only that you'd like to modify the credit
> to include Larry Sanger in an equally or more prominent role. But my
> impression is that this is mainly an external view. Most of the
> knowledgeable Wikipedians I know take a more complex view, crediting to
> various degrees: Ward Cunningham's development of wikis; the development
> of community and social norms on WikiWikiWeb and MeatballWiki; the
> expansion of subject-specific wiki encyclopedias from the original
> design-patterns-encyclopedia focus of WikiWikiWeb to cover ever more
> areas of knowledge; the parallel cropping up of non-wiki "all human
> knowledge written by random people on the internet" compendia like
> Everything2; and so on.

... and Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the World Wide Web; the ARPAnet
pioneers for creating the network on which the Web operated; Ted
Nelson for inventing hypertext;  Xerox PARC for creating the elements
of the modern user interface that Apple stole from them and Microsoft
stole from Apple; the original IBM PC development team for creating
the PC platform which brought personal computers into the mainstream
and made it possible for the Internet and Web to be a mass medium;
Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs for showing that home computers were a
reasonable idea in the first place; the developers of the Altair
computer for showing that computers didn't have to be huge million-
dollar hulks; the pioneers of mainframe computers for creating those
million-dollar hulks in the first place and letting computer science
begin as a discipline of knowledge; Edison and/or Tesla for making
electricity ubiquitous and all those later devices possible; Ben
Franklin for making discoveries about electricity the later inventors
could build on.... and so on and on and on.  Everybody builds on the
discoveries and inventions of those who came before.

--
== Dan ==

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

WJhonson
.... and Tim Berners-Lee for inventing the World Wide Web; the ARPAnet
pioneers for creating the network on which the Web operated; Ted
Nelson for inventing hypertext;  .....; Edison and/or Tesla for making
electricity ubiquitous and all those later devices possible; Ben
Franklin for making discoveries about electricity the later inventors
could build on.... and so on and on and on.  Everybody builds on the
discoveries and inventions of those who came before.

And I would like to thank the Phoenicians for inventing the alphabet.

W.J. the Current.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Anthony-73
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I'd like to thank Necessity and her baby-daddy for inventing inventions.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Florence Devouard-3
I know it will only be a small satisfaction, but I wanted to mention
that in the French speaking user guide book I recently co-wrote with
Guillaume Paumier, you are recognised as a co-founder. There is even a
paragraph clearly mentionning you.

I invite you to check: http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikipedia, and in
particular
http://fr.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikipédia/Découvrir_Wikipédia/Explorer_l%27histoire

If you are generous, you may even buy it (book available on Amazon for
example :-)).
See references here: http://www.pug.fr/titre.asp?Num=1072

As for the other points...
I have had enough opportunities to see that what the public/journalists
say and believe is frequently highly different from the reality and I
fear we all have to live with this. For many, Jimmy is still the one
doing all the work at the Wikimedia Foundation, and sometimes even the
one approving any article before publishing. LOL. People need icons to
focus on, and Jimbo is a better icon than most of us. Live with it.

Ant

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I have had enough opportunities to see that what the public/journalists
> say and believe is frequently highly different from the reality and I
> fear we all have to live with this. For many, Jimmy is still the one
> doing all the work at the Wikimedia Foundation, and sometimes even the
> one approving any article before publishing. LOL. People need icons to
> focus on, and Jimbo is a better icon than most of us. Live with it.

Before long it'll be Erik taking all the credit anyway.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Oskar Sigvardsson
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> And I would like to thank the Phoenicians for inventing the alphabet.
>>
>> W.J. the Current.
>

> I'd like to thank Necessity and her baby-daddy for inventing inventions.

I was going to thank the Proto-Indo-Europeans, but this is getting silly.

--Oskar

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Anthony-73
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Oskar Sigvardsson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> And I would like to thank the Phoenicians for inventing the alphabet.
> >>
> >> W.J. the Current.
> >

> > I'd like to thank Necessity and her baby-daddy for inventing inventions.
>
> I was going to thank the Proto-Indo-Europeans, but this is getting silly.

Getting silly?  It got silly several messages ago.  There's a fundamental
difference between the contributions to Wikipedia of Larry Sanger, and those
of Ted Nelson (or Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, Edison, Tesla, etc).  I'll
leave in Tim Berners-Lee since I believe he has expressed the notion that
Wikipedia is similar to his vision of what the web would be, though I
haven't investigated that.

Wikipedia was certainly a compromise between the visions of many
individuals, but that doesn't mean those individual visions and
accomplishments can't be separated, and instead we must resort to a generic
"made by the community".  If Wales can't get 100% credit as "sole founder",
then he wishes credit to be given to no one at all, but that doesn't mean we
have to follow that reductio ad absurdium.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Anthony-73
Speaking of Hector, can someone translate this for me: "¿Habéis pensado en
diseñar un Wiki específico para el trabajo de pulir los módulos-entradas?.
Muchos proyectos de Software están considerando aprovechar la dinámica
"Document-mode" de los Wikis como una alternativa a las "message boards" que
permite una documentación persistente, no repetitiva e hipertextualmente
articulada de los temas que se van tratando a petición de los usuarios."  It
was written by Álvaro Tejero Cantero on December 24, 2000, just a week
before the conversation at the taco stand.  I can't figure out if it's
talking about software, or if it's talking about...well...Wikipedia.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Ian Woollard <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/02/1422244
>
> And right at the end it says:
>
> Hector, who started the 'gnupedia' project recently wrote this on his
> mailing list:
>
> "Now, the FSF's plans are give all the support to the Nupedia project.
> So Nupedia will become the official GNU encyclopedia."
>
> -0) "Nupedia seems to be too centralized and slow moving for me. I
> understand the need for quality control, but wouldn't it make more
> sense to have a more bazaar-type free encyclopedia project?"
>
> Maybe so! People who want to get started _today_ on contributing free
> texts to the world can do so at Wikipedia. All the content is released
> under the GNU FDL, and it already has over 1000 articles. Short, and
> maybe not the high quality of Nupedia, but with time? Who knows..."
>
> On 13/04/2009, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > What really made Wikipedia was free publicity from Slashdot and The New
> > York Times during 2001. I don't know if I could find the initial
> > Slashdoting, but here are the links to the two New York Times articles:
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/technology/fact-driven-collegial-this-site-wants-you.html
> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/09/magazine/the-year-in-ideas-a-to-z-populist-editing.html
> >
> > So I would say at least some of the credit goes to folks who recognized a
> > good idea and alerted the rest of the intellectual and internet community
> > to it.
> >
> > Fred Bauder
>
> --
> -Ian Woollard
>
> We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
> imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
> world would be pretty ghastly though.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Carcharoth
I used Google Translate. I would post the entire translation here, but
not sure if that is OK or not, so I'm only posting the translation of
the first sentence.

"Have you thought about Wiki design a specific work of polishing
modules-tickets?"

Looks like a poor translation anyway.

Carcharoth

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Speaking of Hector, can someone translate this for me: "¿Habéis pensado en
> diseñar un Wiki específico para el trabajo de pulir los módulos-entradas?.
> Muchos proyectos de Software están considerando aprovechar la dinámica
> "Document-mode" de los Wikis como una alternativa a las "message boards" que
> permite una documentación persistente, no repetitiva e hipertextualmente
> articulada de los temas que se van tratando a petición de los usuarios."  It
> was written by Álvaro Tejero Cantero on December 24, 2000, just a week
> before the conversation at the taco stand.  I can't figure out if it's
> talking about software, or if it's talking about...well...Wikipedia.
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Ian Woollard <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/02/1422244
>>
>> And right at the end it says:
>>
>> Hector, who started the 'gnupedia' project recently wrote this on his
>> mailing list:
>>
>> "Now, the FSF's plans are give all the support to the Nupedia project.
>> So Nupedia will become the official GNU encyclopedia."
>>
>> -0) "Nupedia seems to be too centralized and slow moving for me. I
>> understand the need for quality control, but wouldn't it make more
>> sense to have a more bazaar-type free encyclopedia project?"
>>
>> Maybe so! People who want to get started _today_ on contributing free
>> texts to the world can do so at Wikipedia. All the content is released
>> under the GNU FDL, and it already has over 1000 articles. Short, and
>> maybe not the high quality of Nupedia, but with time? Who knows..."
>>
>> On 13/04/2009, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > What really made Wikipedia was free publicity from Slashdot and The New
>> > York Times during 2001. I don't know if I could find the initial
>> > Slashdoting, but here are the links to the two New York Times articles:
>> >

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/technology/fact-driven-collegial-this-site-wants-you.html
>> >

>> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/09/magazine/the-year-in-ideas-a-to-z-populist-editing.html
>> >
>> > So I would say at least some of the credit goes to folks who recognized a
>> > good idea and alerted the rest of the intellectual and internet community
>> > to it.
>> >
>> > Fred Bauder
>>
>> --
>> -Ian Woollard
>>
>> We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
>> imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
>> world would be pretty ghastly though.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Anthony-73
I get stuck on the term "módulos-entradas", which seems to be literally
translated as "input modules", but I can't fit into the context.  Here's the
context, by the way:
http://softlibre.barrapunto.com/article.pl?sid=00/12/21/0849254

Anyway, I was just rereading some of the discussion of Larry Sanger and
Wikipedia, and noticed that while Wales claims that Jeremy Rosenfeld was the
first to propose using wikis to work on Nupedia, he admits that it was
Sanger who convinced him to actually do it.  Further, Sanger agrees that
"probably...hundreds of people had the idea about a wiki encyclopedia before
Wikipedia got started, and even told each other about it."  So despite what
I see as Wales intentional attempt to distort the issue, by mentioning
certain seemingly contradictory facts and then failing to elaborate on them,
I think I've got a fairly well agreed upon version of the events as they
happened.

I feel I ought to continue that quote from Larry, rather than risk taking it
out of context.  Sanger continued: "But it was the idea I had, while tasked
with solving Nupedia's problem, that actually and directly led to the
development of Wikipedia. That is a matter of historical fact, in living
memory of several people--including Jimmy, whether he admits it or not. "
And Wales responded with "Of course I 'admit' it. :-)"

I'd the say the Jeremy Rosenfeld bit, if true, actually enhances Sanger's
contribution to the creation of Wikipedia, in that it shows that merely
mentioning wikis to Wales wasn't enough to bring the idea to fruition.  It's
good to reread those old messages, because I had somehow gotten the
impression that the fact that it was Sanger's idea, and not Rosenfeld's,
which actually and directly led to the development of Wikipedia, was a
matter of dispute.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Carcharoth <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I used Google Translate. I would post the entire translation here, but
> not sure if that is OK or not, so I'm only posting the translation of
> the first sentence.
>
> "Have you thought about Wiki design a specific work of polishing
> modules-tickets?"
>
> Looks like a poor translation anyway.
>
> Carcharoth
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Anthony <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Speaking of Hector, can someone translate this for me: "¿Habéis pensado
> en
> > diseñar un Wiki específico para el trabajo de pulir los
> módulos-entradas?.
> > Muchos proyectos de Software están considerando aprovechar la dinámica
> > "Document-mode" de los Wikis como una alternativa a las "message boards"
> que
> > permite una documentación persistente, no repetitiva e hipertextualmente
> > articulada de los temas que se van tratando a petición de los usuarios."
>  It
> > was written by Álvaro Tejero Cantero on December 24, 2000, just a week
> > before the conversation at the taco stand.  I can't figure out if it's
> > talking about software, or if it's talking about...well...Wikipedia.
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Ian Woollard <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Probably March 2001 would be the earliest slashdotting:
> >>
> >> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/02/1422244
> >>
> >> And right at the end it says:
> >>
> >> Hector, who started the 'gnupedia' project recently wrote this on his
> >> mailing list:
> >>
> >> "Now, the FSF's plans are give all the support to the Nupedia project.
> >> So Nupedia will become the official GNU encyclopedia."
> >>
> >> -0) "Nupedia seems to be too centralized and slow moving for me. I
> >> understand the need for quality control, but wouldn't it make more
> >> sense to have a more bazaar-type free encyclopedia project?"
> >>
> >> Maybe so! People who want to get started _today_ on contributing free
> >> texts to the world can do so at Wikipedia. All the content is released
> >> under the GNU FDL, and it already has over 1000 articles. Short, and
> >> maybe not the high quality of Nupedia, but with time? Who knows..."

> New
> articles:
> >> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/20/technology/fact-driven-collegial-this-site-wants-you.html
> >> >

> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/09/magazine/the-year-in-ideas-a-to-z-populist-editing.html

> recognized a
> community

> >> --
> >> -Ian Woollard
> >>
> >> We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
> >> imperfect world would be *much* better. Life in an imperfectly perfect
> >> world would be pretty ghastly though.

Re: An open letter to Jimmy Wales

Daniel R. Tobias
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:31:41 -0400, Anthony <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Anyway, I was just rereading some of the discussion of Larry Sanger and
> Wikipedia, and noticed that while Wales claims that Jeremy Rosenfeld was the
> first to propose using wikis to work on Nupedia, he admits that it was
> Sanger who convinced him to actually do it.

But Ben Kovitz claims to be the one who, in turn, gave Sanger the
idea of using an open public wiki for encyclopedia development:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BenKovitz

--
== Dan ==

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Daniel R. Tobias <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:31:41 -0400, Anthony <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I was just rereading some of the discussion of Larry Sanger and
> > Wikipedia, and noticed that while Wales claims that Jeremy Rosenfeld was
> the
> > first to propose using wikis to work on Nupedia, he admits that it was
> > Sanger who convinced him to actually do it.
>
> But Ben Kovitz claims to be the one who, in turn, gave Sanger the
> idea of using an open public wiki for encyclopedia development:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BenKovitz

I'm not sure why there's a "But" at the start of that sentence.  The two
points are in no way incompatible.