Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Brion Vibber-3
I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.

I've been contributing to StatusNet (formerly Laconica) as a user, bug
reporter, and patch submitter since 2008, and I'm really excited at the
opportunity to get more involved in the project at this key time as we
gear up for a 1.0 release, hosted services, and support offerings.

StatusNet was born in the same free-culture and free-software community
that brought me to Wikipedia; many of you probably already know founder
Evan Prodromou from his longtime work in the wiki community, launching
the awesome Wikitravel and helping out with MediaWiki development on
various fronts. The "big idea" driving StatusNet is rebalancing power in
the modern social web -- pushing data portability and open protocols to
protect your autonomy from siloed proprietary services... People need
the ability to control their own presence on the web instead of hoping
Facebook or Twitter always treat you the way you want.

This does unfortunately mean that I'll have less time for MediaWiki as
I'll be leaving my position as Wikimedia CTO sooner than originally
anticipated, but that doesn't mean I'm leaving the Wikimedia community
or MediaWiki development!

Just as I was in the MediaWiki development community before Wikimedia
hired me, you'll all see me in the same IRC channels and on the same
mailing lists... I know this is also a busy time with our fundraiser
coming up and lots of cool ongoing developments, so to help ease the
transition I've worked out a commitment to come into the WMF office one
day a week through the end of December to make sure all our tech staff
has a chance to pick my brain as we smooth out the code review processes
and make sure things are as well documented as I like to think they are. ;)

We've got a great tech team here at Wikimedia, and we've done so much
with so little over the last few years. A lot of really good work is
going on now, modernizing both our infrastructure and our user
interface... I have every confidence that Wikipedia and friends will
continue to thrive!

I'll start full-time at StatusNet on October 12. My key priorities until
then are getting some of our key software rollouts going, supporting the
Usability Initiative's next scheduled update and getting a useful but
minimally-disruptive Flagged Revisions configuration going on English
Wikipedia. I'm also hoping to make further improvements to our code
review process, based on my experience with our recent big updates as
well as the git-based workflow we're using at StatusNet -- I've got a
lot of great ideas for improving the CodeReview extension...

Erik Moeller will be the primary point of contact for WMF tech
management issues starting October 12, until the new CTO is hired. I'll
support the hiring process as much as I can, and we're hoping to have a
candidate in the door by the end of the year.

-- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)
CTO, Wikimedia Foundation
San Francisco

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Erik Moeller-4
Thank you, Brion. Through your many years of volunteering and then
staff work, you've secured your place in Wikimedia history. It's been
a pleasure to work with you over the years, and I'm glad you'll
continue to be involved. As I said privately, I'm happy you've found a
great open source company to work for, but of course it's a great loss
to the organization. :-(

We'll be doing lots of internal planning to manage this transition
period. Separately, we'll also be posting at least two software
engineering jobs soon, in addition to the CTO job which is already
posted. If any of you have any referrals (ideally people who can
relocate to San Francisco), please let me know off-list. And please be
forgiving of tech delays in the coming months.

Thanks,
Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Mohamed Magdy-2
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> continue to thrive!
>
> I'll start full-time at StatusNet on October 12. My key priorities until
> then are getting some of our key software rollouts going, supporting the
> Usability Initiative's next scheduled update and getting a useful but
> minimally-disruptive Flagged Revisions configuration going on English
> Wikipedia. I'm also hoping to make further improvements to our code
> review process, based on my experience with our recent big updates as
> well as the git-based workflow we're using at StatusNet -- I've got a
> lot of great ideas for improving the CodeReview extension...
>
> Erik Moeller will be the primary point of contact for WMF tech
> management issues starting October 12, until the new CTO is hired. I'll
> support the hiring process as much as I can, and we're hoping to have a
> candidate in the door by the end of the year.

This really sucks.

alnokta

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Thomas Dalton
2009/9/28 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.

Congratulations on your new job, but I must confess to seeing this as
bad news, rather than exciting news... I'm glad you intend to make
your departure as smooth as possible, but it is disappointing that you
couldn't stay full-time until there was a new CTO and handover
properly. The Wikimedia movement is significantly worse off without
you - I was really looking forward to you handing over the
administrative part of your job and concentrating on coding, great
things would have happened, I'm sure! However, I wish you the best of
luck in the future and I looked forward to seeing you around here,
even if it is a little less often.

2009/9/28 Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]>:

> This really sucks.

Hey, we'll all live, and he's alive and well :-)

I'm now sending the job opening around my SF contacts ...

- d.

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Michael Snow-3
Thomas Dalton wrote:

> 2009/9/28 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
>> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
>> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
>> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.
>>
> Congratulations on your new job, but I must confess to seeing this as
> bad news, rather than exciting news... I'm glad you intend to make
> your departure as smooth as possible, but it is disappointing that you
> couldn't stay full-time until there was a new CTO and handover
> properly. The Wikimedia movement is significantly worse off without
> you - I was really looking forward to you handing over the
> administrative part of your job and concentrating on coding, great
> things would have happened, I'm sure! However, I wish you the best of
> luck in the future and I looked forward to seeing you around here,
> even if it is a little less often.

Fortunately, if you read Brion's entire message, the Wikimedia movement
is not going to be left without him, and you will still be able to see
him around (probably a little less often, yes). So I'm not sure why you
finish up by referring to him in the past tense.

I certainly won't pretend that the Wikimedia Foundation is eager to see
Brion leave its staff. But one of the things that's important to us is
to make sure employees have opportunities to grow and develop, and in
some cases that growth will lead them into new opportunities outside the
organization. So with that I wish Brion all the best with his new job. I
look forward to his ongoing contributions to MediaWiki development, and
I hope that his other work will also add significantly to the free
culture movement, so that it really develops an ecosystem and not just a
couple of peculiar organizations.

--Michael Snow

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Sage Ross
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This really sucks.

As Kat Walsh alluded to on ... Facebook?!?... free/libre real-time
services are more important than a lot of Wikimedians think (because
we've spent so long pushing back against "merely" social uses of our
wikis?).  In the grand scheme of the things we care about, development
in that area may be a more critical immediate need than continued work
on MediaWiki.  Brion put it perfectly:

"People need the ability to control their own presence on the web
instead of hoping Facebook or Twitter always treat you the way you
want."

Wikipedia has had enough success that it's bought some time in terms
of establishing the ability (and right) of people to control and use
educational material how they want.  There's still a lot to do, but
the free culture approach is starting to pick up momentum.  For
so-called social networking services, it's still an uphill battle.

-Sage

2009/9/28 Michael Snow <[hidden email]>:

> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> 2009/9/28 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
>>> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
>>> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
>>> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.
>>>
>> Congratulations on your new job, but I must confess to seeing this as
>> bad news, rather than exciting news... I'm glad you intend to make
>> your departure as smooth as possible, but it is disappointing that you
>> couldn't stay full-time until there was a new CTO and handover
>> properly. The Wikimedia movement is significantly worse off without
>> you - I was really looking forward to you handing over the
>> administrative part of your job and concentrating on coding, great
>> things would have happened, I'm sure! However, I wish you the best of
>> luck in the future and I looked forward to seeing you around here,
>> even if it is a little less often.
>>
> Fortunately, if you read Brion's entire message, the Wikimedia movement
> is not going to be left without him, and you will still be able to see
> him around (probably a little less often, yes). So I'm not sure why you
> finish up by referring to him in the past tense.

I can tell you precisely why I finished up by referring to him in the
past tense - I can't type! That should have said "look forward". I
apologise for the misunderstanding!

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Aude-2
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other
> sites.

* *Oppose* - It won't necessarily be so easy to find someone to fill your
shoes and manage things as well as you have with improvements in MediaWiki,
as well as site operations. You will be missed. ~~~~

Seriously, I'm disappointed to see you go, though wish you the best with
your new position.

-Aude

> -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)
> CTO, Wikimedia Foundation
> San Francisco

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Anthony-73
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I was really looking forward to you handing over the
> administrative part of your job and concentrating on coding, great
> things would have happened, I'm sure!

No reason he can't keep coding.  He just won't be paid for it.  :)

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Brion thank you for everything and more. I am happy that LocalisationUpdate
is live... but I am sad for all the other things that will be postponed. I
am sad because there are so many things that are waiting to be assessed. I
am happy for you, but to me it feels like MediaWiki meets the truckfactor. I
can imagine that there is never a good moment to leave ... but I am happy
that you will be around ...

Am I write that StatusNet is the equivalent of Twitter ? I might give it a
try :)
Thanks,
    Gerard

> [...]

> continue to thrive!
>
> I'll start full-time at StatusNet on October 12. My key priorities until
> then are getting some of our key software rollouts going, supporting the
> Usability Initiative's next scheduled update and getting a useful but
> minimally-disruptive Flagged Revisions configuration going on English
> Wikipedia. I'm also hoping to make further improvements to our code
> review process, based on my experience with our recent big updates as
> well as the git-based workflow we're using at StatusNet -- I've got a
> lot of great ideas for improving the CodeReview extension...
>
> Erik Moeller will be the primary point of contact for WMF tech
> management issues starting October 12, until the new CTO is hired. I'll
> support the hiring process as much as I can, and we're hoping to have a
> candidate in the door by the end of the year.

Daniel Friesen-3
Aude wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
>> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
>> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
>> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other
>> sites.
>>

> * *Oppose* - It won't necessarily be so easy to find someone to fill your
> shoes and manage things as well as you have with improvements in MediaWiki,
> as well as site operations. You will be missed. ~~~~
>
> Seriously, I'm disappointed to see you go, though wish you the best with
> your new position.
>
> -Aude
>
>> -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)
>> CTO, Wikimedia Foundation
>> San Francisco

Ack Brion, too quick on the draw...
T_T I haven't gotten close enough to a extremely powerful JS based wiki
engine to use this as propaganda to get people to try it out.

*cough* Erm... I said nothing

Heh, before I finished reading the e-mail. I was either thinking "Joke",
or "Wiki Apocalypse".

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Sue Gardner-2
2009/9/28 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.

Obviously I've talked with Brion in person, so he knows this, but I
will say it publicly too: he will be hugely, enormously, massively
missed.

What Michael says is true: people have a right to pursue their dreams
and goals and personal development wherever it takes them, and I too
am happy that Brion will continue to be moving forward the free
culture agenda and helping to build a better ecosystem of projects and
organizations. I've got an account on identi.ca which I haven't yet
used: perhaps my first use of it will be congratulate Brion on his new
job :-)

IMO Brion is the single most central figure in the Wikimedia movement,
second only to Jimmy.  His work with us should be honoured and
celebrated.  We'll be doing some of that inside the staff within the
next few weeks, and I expect the Board will plan something for him
too.  But we'll need to be creative: after all, there is already a
Brion Vibber Day.  New ideas are welcome :-)

Thanks,
Sue

On 9/28/09 12:53 PM, Sage Ross wrote:
> As Kat Walsh alluded to on ... Facebook?!?... free/libre real-time
> services are more important than a lot of Wikimedians think (because
> we've spent so long pushing back against "merely" social uses of our
> wikis?).  In the grand scheme of the things we care about, development
> in that area may be a more critical immediate need than continued work
> on MediaWiki.

The social side is quite important here too... social interaction is
probably one of the key areas we really need to improve on for
Wikipedia/Wikimedia.

No matter what else we improve technically I think we all are aware that
there are serious problems with how people interact in our community,
and that's one of the major stumbling blocks for new users.

> Wikipedia has had enough success that it's bought some time in terms
> of establishing the ability (and right) of people to control and use
> educational material how they want.  There's still a lot to do, but
> the free culture approach is starting to pick up momentum.  For
> so-called social networking services, it's still an uphill battle.

Yep... what I do find encouraging is that many of the big
social-networking services are picking up on the idea that easy
interoperability is a win for everyone a lot quicker than, say, the IM
wars of the 2000s or the email wars of the late 80s/early 90s. (Remember
when CompuServer and AOL users couldn't email each other? Hah!) But
that's something that could disappear quickly as long as it's a world
where there's only a small number of big players...

-- brion

On 9/28/09 12:56 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Thomas Dalton<[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I was really looking forward to you handing over the
>> administrative part of your job and concentrating on coding, great
>> things would have happened, I'm sure!
>

> No reason he can't keep coding.  He just won't be paid for it.  :)

The more things change, the more they stay the same? ;)

-- brion

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Chad
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/9/28 Brion Vibber <[hidden email]>:
>> I'd like to share some exciting news with you all... After four awesome
>> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next month I'm
>> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading development on
>> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca and other sites.
>
> Obviously I've talked with Brion in person, so he knows this, but I
> will say it publicly too: he will be hugely, enormously, massively
> missed.
>
> What Michael says is true: people have a right to pursue their dreams
> and goals and personal development wherever it takes them, and I too
> am happy that Brion will continue to be moving forward the free
> culture agenda and helping to build a better ecosystem of projects and
> organizations. I've got an account on identi.ca which I haven't yet
> used: perhaps my first use of it will be congratulate Brion on his new
> job :-)
>
> IMO Brion is the single most central figure in the Wikimedia movement,
> second only to Jimmy.  His work with us should be honoured and
> celebrated.  We'll be doing some of that inside the staff within the
> next few weeks, and I expect the Board will plan something for him
> too.  But we'll need to be creative: after all, there is already a
> Brion Vibber Day.  New ideas are welcome :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

And on that note, I propose we rename MediaWiki to BrionWiki.
Added benefit: we can finally put the name confusion to rest ;-)

In all seriousness though. Brion: best of luck on the new job and
with future endeavors. You will be missed greatly by both devs
and Wikimedians alike. And you'll still have commit access, so I
hope to keep seeing "Revert rXXX, totally broken"

-Chad

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2009/9/28 Mohamed Magdy <[hidden email]>:
>
>> This really sucks.
>

> Hey, we'll all live, and he's alive and well :-)

Yes.  But I find it difficult to understand that he leaves wm for some
social networking venture, I hope it is worth it.

I wish you the best, I just don't agree with your decision on leaving
(if it is possible to revert it...).

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Domas Mituzas
Hi!

> And you'll still have commit access, so I
> hope to keep seeing "Revert rXXX, totally broken"

Don't be so harsh on Brion, not every commit of his has been totally
broken :-)

Domas

On 9/28/09 2:23 PM, Domas Mituzas wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> And you'll still have commit access, so I
>> hope to keep seeing "Revert rXXX, totally broken"
>
> Don't be so harsh on Brion, not every commit of his has been totally
> broken :-)

*reverts domas* :)

-- brion

Re: Announce: Brion moving to StatusNet

Birgitte_sb

> years working for the Wikimedia Foundation full-time, next
> month I'm
> going to be starting a new position at StatusNet, leading
> development on
> the open-source microblogging system which powers identi.ca
> and other sites.

Congratulations on you new job! I am excited for you and to learn more about ident.ca.  I appreciate the effort you are committing to the prolonged transition.  Thank you for all you have done; your commitment to Wikimedia will be a hard act to follow. I hope I will still see you around here (foundation-l).

Birgitte SB