Announce: Graph extension updated

Tels
Moin,

I'd like to announce an update of my graph extension - or for people who
never heard of it, the existance of it :)

The extension is now one year old (actually, a bit older, but the first
usable version was not available until Janua 2005 :) and quite mature.

An overview, examples, download links and install instructions are here:

        http://bloodgate.com/perl/graph/

There is also a detailed online manual about the syntax, attributes and
possibilities:

        http://bloodgate.com/perl/graph/manual/

The extension can create ASCII art, Unicode box drawings, HTML, SVG and
PNG (via graphviz/dot/neato/fdb etc) output. It is most suited for
flowcharts, state diagrams and documentation of information flow, but
shold also be able to handle more complex graphs.

The syntax is designed to be easy for humans (readability/maintainability)
and also easy to parse for machines. The output is indexable by search
engines (except in case of PNG output, naturally), and scales with the
text size in the browser, thus also supporting users with bad sight. It
also falls back to simple renderings, like when you look at it with a
textbrowser like lynx :)

If you have questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact me,
or open up a bugreport at http://rt.cpan.org.

Here are two examples straight from my console:

 # echo "[My Work] - internet -> [Your Success]"|perl examples/as_ascii
 +---------+  internet   +--------------+
 | My Work | ----------> | Your Success |
 +---------+             +--------------+
 # echo "[My Work] - internet -> [Your Success]"|perl examples/as_boxart
 ┌─────────┐  internet   ┌──────────────┐
 │ My Work │ ──────────> │ Your Success │
 └─────────┘             └──────────────┘

Best wishes,

Tels

--
 Signed on Fri Feb  3 13:32:55 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind." -- Terry
 Pratchett

Re: Announce: Graph extension updated

Phil Boswell
"Tels" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
> There is also a detailed online manual about the syntax, attributes and
> possibilities:
> http://bloodgate.com/perl/graph/manual/

That particular page seems to be almost unreadable in IE. The main text is
white-on-grey, except that the background changes to black on rollover. The
menu on the LHS is indented so that it obscures the text; it also exhibits
some bizarre squirmy movements on rollover.

The mirror seems to work rather better (even if the menu forces the text to
start almost at the bottom of the screen):
http://search.cpan.org/src/TELS/Graph-Easy-Manual-0.31/doc/manual/index.html

HTH HAND
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]

Re: Announce: Graph extension updated

Tels
Hello Phil,

On Friday 10 March 2006 14:07, Phil Boswell wrote:
> "Tels" <[hidden email]> wrote in
> message news:[hidden email]...
>
> > There is also a detailed online manual about the syntax, attributes
> > and possibilities:
> > http://bloodgate.com/perl/graph/manual/

Ah. Uh. That message should have been sent over a month ago, but I was
digging around in my drafts-folder, and somehow sent it again. Apologies
if it appeared twice.

> That particular page seems to be almost unreadable in IE. The main text
> is white-on-grey, except that the background changes to black on
> rollover. The menu on the LHS is indented so that it obscures the text;
> it also exhibits some bizarre squirmy movements on rollover.

This smells like an issue with the CSS style-sheet. Since I forgot to
update my own page and just did it 5 mins after sending the mail, you
might have an old version of the style-sheet in your browser (or did try
it while I was still uploading).

Can you please reload the page after purging your cache?

Also, I would appreciate a screenshot.

> The mirror seems to work rather better (even if the menu forces the
> text to start almost at the bottom of the screen):
> http://search.cpan.org/src/TELS/Graph-Easy-Manual-0.31/doc/manual/index
>.html

The menu issue is a bug in IE, it does not support position: fixed
properly (read: not at all).

I already made the menu to use less entries to make it fit better on small
screens. Furthermore, on my page I tried to fix this with IE7 like so:

<!-- compliance patch for microsoft browsers -->
 <!--[if lt IE 7]><script src="/ie7/ie7-standard-p.js"
type="text/javascript"></script><![endif]-->

Unfortunately, it just occured to me that that would not work on the
mirror, since the URl is relative and would try to load it from
search.cpan.org, instead of from bloodgate.com.

Will fix that in the next version and with that the menu should work. If
it still doesn't work, I can unfortunately only suggest you use a browser
which isn't so broken :) (I know that that is not really a solution for
some people :-D

Please can you send me a screenshot from search.cpan.org as it is now,
too? I don't have windows, so I cannot test with IE at all.

I just re-uploaded to bloodgate.com, the search.cpan.org mirror will be
updated when I upload a new package, probably on Sunday.

Thanx for your feedback and sorry for the mess,

Tels

--
 Signed on Fri Mar 10 14:29:52 2006 with key 0x93B84C15.
 PGP key on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or per email.

 "The flow chart is a most thoroughly oversold piece of program
 documentation." -- Frederick Brooks, 'The Mythical Man Month'

Re: Announce: Graph extension updated

Phil Boswell
"Tels" <[hidden email]> wrote in
message news:[hidden email]...
> Also, I would appreciate a screenshot.
I sent you a couple of screenshots off-list, let me know if they arrive...
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]