Announce: MediaWiki book from O'Reilly

Daniel Barrett-4
I'm pleased to announce that a new O'Reilly book, titled "MediaWiki", will
be published later this year.  I am the author.  The focus is on practical
knowledge ("what you really need to know") to be an effective MediaWiki
reader, author, sysop, and site administrator.  It's not a comprehensive
reference; anything "comprehensive" would be outdated in six months....

The book is nearly complete, but if there are critical topics you'd like to
see covered, please email any suggestions to [hidden email].

Also, I am looking for 2-3 people to join the book's technical review team,
to read the book in advance and offer comments and criticism.  This
includes beginners too!  If interested, please email me directly at
[hidden email] (do not hit "reply") and answer these questions:

1. Will you be available to review the book during the first two weeks of
June 2008?  (The actual review period will be one week long, and you'll
need to be reachable by email during that time.)

2. What is your level of expertise with MediaWiki? (Casual reader, article
writer, template creator, wiki sysop, MediaWiki site administrator,
extension developer, Wikimedia developer, etc.)

3. Do you have access to a MediaWiki system where you can install
extensions?

4. Would you be willing to install MediaWiki on a computer that isn't
running it today?  If so, would it run Linux, Windows, Macintosh, or other
(please describe it)?

Tech reviewers will receive a "thank you" in the book, a free copy of the
book, and a one-time payment.

Thanks very much.

--
Dan Barrett, [hidden email]
Author of:

Re: Announce: MediaWiki book from O'Reilly

Dave Sigafoos
Bravo .. another book is a great idea.  The last one by Mizanur Rahman
worked very well getting us started and bringing about a 'general'
knowledge of the system.  As you say almost anything you do will be
outdated in a couple of release.  But for the most part ideas are ideas
and they never really go out of date <G>

Thanks and I look forwared to the book

DSig
David Tod Sigafoos | SANMAR Corporation
PICK Guy
206-770-5585
[hidden email]

On April 30, 2008, Daniel Barrett wrote:
>Also, I am looking for 2-3 people to join the book's technical review team,
>to read the book in advance and offer comments and criticism....

Thanks to everyone who has responded (25 people)!  I will be selecting the
team this week.

--
Dan Barrett