[Announcement] A new formal collaboration in Research

[Announcement] A new formal collaboration in Research

Diego Saez-Trumper
Hi all,

The Research team at the Wikimedia Foundation has officially started a
new Formal Collaboration
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Formal_collaborations>
with the *Institute of Basic Science* (IBS) from South Korea to work
collaboratively on *Discovering content inconsistencies between
Wikidata and Wikipedia *
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Discovering_content_inconsistencies_between_Wikidata_and_Wikipedia>
as part of the *Knowledge Integrity program*
<https://research.wikimedia.org/knowledge-integrity.html>.

Here are a few pieces of information about this collaboration that we
would like to share with you:

* We aim to keep the research documentation for this project in the
corresponding research page on meta
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Discovering_content_inconsistencies_between_Wikidata_and_Wikipedia>.
* Meeyoung Cha from IBS & KAIST and her collaborators Cheng-Te Li and
Yi-Ju Lu from the National Cheng Kung University (Taiwan) and  Jing Ma
from  Hong Kong Baptist University, will be contributing to this
project. We are thankful to them for agreeing to spend their time and
expertise on this project in the coming 3 months and to those of you
who have already worked with us as we were shaping the proposal for
this project and are planning to continue your contributions to this
program.
* I act as the point of contact for this research in the Wikimedia
Foundation. Please feel free to reach out to me (directly, if it
cannot be shared publicly) if you have comments or questions about the
project.

Best,

*Diego Sáez TrumperResearch Scientist
User:Diego_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Diego_(WMF)> *

Re: [Announcement] A new formal collaboration in Research

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I have found consistently that many of the links in Wikipedia are to false
friends. This happens particularly in lists. Given that many lists are
imported into Wikidata as they are, typically both projects share the same
errors. For the list for awardees of the Polk award, I have scrutinised the
data, blogged and tweeted about this phenomenon. This is very much in scope
of this research project.

What I have regularly proposed is to link blue and red links to Wikidata
items. This will have a similar impact as the effect of linking interwiki
links in Wikidata in stead of native links in the Wikipedias. Additionally
this enables another type of research; inconsistencies between Wikipedias.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On Fri, 22 May 2020 at 23:47, Diego Saez-Trumper <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The Research team at the Wikimedia Foundation has officially started a
> new Formal Collaboration
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Formal_collaborations>
> with the *Institute of Basic Science* (IBS) from South Korea to work
> collaboratively on *Discovering content inconsistencies between
> Wikidata and Wikipedia *
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Discovering_content_inconsistencies_between_Wikidata_and_Wikipedia
> >
> as part of the *Knowledge Integrity program*
> <https://research.wikimedia.org/knowledge-integrity.html>.
>
> Here are a few pieces of information about this collaboration that we
> would like to share with you:
>
> * We aim to keep the research documentation for this project in the
> corresponding research page on meta
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Discovering_content_inconsistencies_between_Wikidata_and_Wikipedia
> >.
> * Meeyoung Cha from IBS & KAIST and her collaborators Cheng-Te Li and
> Yi-Ju Lu from the National Cheng Kung University (Taiwan) and  Jing Ma
> from  Hong Kong Baptist University, will be contributing to this
> project. We are thankful to them for agreeing to spend their time and
> expertise on this project in the coming 3 months and to those of you
> who have already worked with us as we were shaping the proposal for
> this project and are planning to continue your contributions to this
> program.
> * I act as the point of contact for this research in the Wikimedia
> Foundation. Please feel free to reach out to me (directly, if it
> cannot be shared publicly) if you have comments or questions about the
> project.
>
> Best,
>

> *Diego Sáez TrumperResearch Scientist
> User:Diego_(WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Diego_(WMF)> *

Re: [Announcement] A new formal collaboration in Research

Diego Saez-Trumper
Hi Gerard,

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 3:58 AM Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> I have found consistently that many of the links in Wikipedia are to false
> friends. This happens particularly in lists. Given that many lists are
> imported into Wikidata as they are, typically both projects share the same
> errors. For the list for awardees of the Polk award, I have scrutinised the
> data, blogged and tweeted about this phenomenon. This is very much in scope
> of this research project.

Sounds interesting, please could you please provide some links?

> What I have regularly proposed is to link blue and red links to Wikidata
> items. This will have a similar impact as the effect of linking interwiki
> links in Wikidata in stead of native links in the Wikipedias. Additionally
> this enables another type of research; inconsistencies between Wikipedias.

Yes, I agree with the general idea. In fact,  using Wikidata as a pivot to
understand  inconsistencies across different Wikipedias is the next step
for this project.

Thanks,
Diego