[Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

[Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Florence Devouard-3
Dear all,

On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
Board Treasurer. Stuart brings a wonderful mix of professional
experience and capacity to the Foundation, and will help us in our
continuing efforts to improve the Foundation's overall financial
accountability and sustainability.

A bit of background about our new Board Treasurer:

Stuart has over 15 years of financial experience, including senior
executive roles at publicly-traded companies including Yahoo! Inc., TiVo
Inc., and in investment banking at J.P. Morgan & Co. He also worked with
the United States Mission to the United Nations. Stuart's educational
background includes a B.A. in History from Yale University, where he
focused on 20th century diplomacy, and the Executive Program for Growing
Companies at the Stanford Business School.  He is a dual citizen of the
United States and the United Kingdom.

Stuart is a great believer in the Foundation's mission, and in the time
the Board has spent with him so far we have been impressed by his broad
awareness of the projects and their impact around the world.  He will be
a great addition to the Board, and a tremendous resource for the Foundation.

Please join me in welcoming Stuart to our community!

Florence Devouard
Chair Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer (FAQ #1)

Florence Devouard-3
Florence Devouard wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
> pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
> Board Treasurer. Stuart brings a wonderful mix of professional
> experience and capacity to the Foundation, and will help us in our
> continuing efforts to improve the Foundation's overall financial
> accountability and sustainability.
>
> A bit of background about our new Board Treasurer:
>
> Stuart has over 15 years of financial experience, including senior
> executive roles at publicly-traded companies including Yahoo! Inc., TiVo
> Inc., and in investment banking at J.P. Morgan & Co. He also worked with
> the United States Mission to the United Nations. Stuart's educational
> background includes a B.A. in History from Yale University, where he
> focused on 20th century diplomacy, and the Executive Program for Growing
> Companies at the Stanford Business School.  He is a dual citizen of the
> United States and the United Kingdom.
>
> Stuart is a great believer in the Foundation's mission, and in the time
> the Board has spent with him so far we have been impressed by his broad
> awareness of the projects and their impact around the world.  He will be
> a great addition to the Board, and a tremendous resource for the Foundation.
>
> Please join me in welcoming Stuart to our community!
>
> Florence Devouard
> Chair Wikimedia Foundation

30 seconds.

That was the delay between the posting and the first good question on irc...

Q: "Board Tresurer" is a member of BoT or not?

A: yes, Stu is a member of the board of trustees of WMF.

Ant

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

KIZU Naoko
Welcome!
It's great to hear now WMF has its Treasurer again ;)

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  Board Treasurer. Stuart brings a wonderful mix of professional
>  experience and capacity to the Foundation, and will help us in our
>  continuing efforts to improve the Foundation's overall financial
>  accountability and sustainability.
>
>  A bit of background about our new Board Treasurer:
>
>  Stuart has over 15 years of financial experience, including senior
>  executive roles at publicly-traded companies including Yahoo! Inc., TiVo
>  Inc., and in investment banking at J.P. Morgan & Co. He also worked with
>  the United States Mission to the United Nations. Stuart's educational
>  background includes a B.A. in History from Yale University, where he
>  focused on 20th century diplomacy, and the Executive Program for Growing
>  Companies at the Stanford Business School.  He is a dual citizen of the
>  United States and the United Kingdom.
>
>  Stuart is a great believer in the Foundation's mission, and in the time
>  the Board has spent with him so far we have been impressed by his broad
>  awareness of the projects and their impact around the world.  He will be
>  a great addition to the Board, and a tremendous resource for the Foundation.
>
>  Please join me in welcoming Stuart to our community!
>
>  Florence Devouard
>  Chair Wikimedia Foundation

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Thomas Dalton
On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  Board Treasurer.

Welcome on board!

A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
any?

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Brad Patrick
And that is relevant how, exactly?

On 22/04/2008, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And that is relevant how, exactly?

How could a board member's experience with the projects possibly not
be relevant? For the treasurer, it's not as important as the
professional expertise (as I already said), but it's still relevant.

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Majorly
On 22/04/2008, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And that is relevant how, exactly?

It's a perfectly reasonable question. I am also interested.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly

2008/4/22 Brad Patrick <[hidden email]>:
>  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
>  wrote:
>  > On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  > >  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  > >  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  > >  Board Treasurer.

>  > Welcome on board!
>  > A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
>  > professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
>  > but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
>  > any?

> And that is relevant how, exactly?

I assume it was just a "howdy" question to ask Stuart to say hi and
introduce himself :-)

- d.

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Effe iets anders
Hi Brad,

Although it might not be something which you use to decide upon to find a
treasurer only, it is interesting and relevant to know the Open Content
and/or Wikimedia experience of your board members, so that you know what to
expect. It also gives a good orientation whether the new board member would
have to adjust etc. So it is imho definitely relevant. Whether it should be
the deciding factor in the decision making process is a whole other matter
:)

Best regards,

Lodewijk

2008/4/22, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]>:

> And that is relevant how, exactly?
>
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > >  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's
> my
> > >  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
> > >  Board Treasurer.
> >
> > Welcome on board!
> >
> > A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
> > professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
> > but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
> > any?

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Thomas Dalton

> 2008/4/22 Brad Patrick <[hidden email]>:
>
> >  On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
>  >  wrote:
>  >  > On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> >  > >  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  >  > >  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  >  > >  Board Treasurer.
>
>  >  > Welcome on board!
>  >  > A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
>  >  > professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
>  >  > but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
>  >  > any?
>

> > And that is relevant how, exactly?
>

> I assume it was just a "howdy" question to ask Stuart to say hi and
>  introduce himself :-)

That's how I meant it. It took me a couple of attempts to word it in a
way that didn't sound like I was trying to accuse anybody of anything
- it appears I still failed... oh well...

(Good tip: When in doubt, assume I'm not accusing you of doing
something wrong - if I really am accusing you, you can trust that I
will leave you in no doubt!)

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Brad Patrick
I am guided by experience.  WMF's last treasurer, Michael Davis, had zero
project-related experience himself.  He had nothing whatsoever to do with
online activities of any project.  He did, of course, have a wealth of
experience throughout the birth and growth of WMF, is involved in internet
business, etc. etc.

I just deleted the rest of my comment in light of Mr. Dalton's statement.
;-)

Howdy Stuart, and welcome to WMF!

-Brad

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:31 PM, effe iets anders <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> Although it might not be something which you use to decide upon to find a
> treasurer only, it is interesting and relevant to know the Open Content
> and/or Wikimedia experience of your board members, so that you know what
> expect. It also gives a good orientation whether the new board member
> would
> have to adjust etc. So it is imho definitely relevant. Whether it should
> be
> the deciding factor in the decision making process is a whole other matter
> :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk
>
> 2008/4/22, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > And that is relevant how, exactly?
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:

> it's
> > my
> new
> > >
> > > Welcome on board!
> > >
> > > A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
> > > professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
> > > but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
> > > any?

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Ray Saintonge
Brad Patrick wrote:
> And that is relevant how, exactly?

As a full Board member the treasurer is not limited to voting only on
budgetary and finance questions.

Ec

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> wrote
>> On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>>  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>>>  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>>>  Board Treasurer.
>>>
>> Welcome on board!
>>
>> A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
>> professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
>> but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
>> any?

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

KIZU Naoko
I'd agree with Ray, but moreover it is not so bad for Stu to know what
Wikimedians are: I assume it is one of most frequent questions
Wikimedians give.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brad Patrick wrote:
>  > And that is relevant how, exactly?
>  >
>  As a full Board member the treasurer is not limited to voting only on
>  budgetary and finance questions.
>
>  Ec
>

> > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
>  > wrote
>  >> On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> Dear all,
>  >>>
>  >>>  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  >>>  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  >>>  Board Treasurer.
>  >>>
>  >> Welcome on board!
>  >>
>  >> A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
>  >> professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
>  >> but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
>  >> any?

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer

Chad
Congrats to Stuart on joining the board. I hope he joins
foundation-l, as it plays an important role of communication
between the community and the board (this same invitation
goes to all the staff as well, if they aren't already on).

-Chad

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd agree with Ray, but moreover it is not so bad for Stu to know what
>  Wikimedians are: I assume it is one of most frequent questions
>  Wikimedians give.
>

>  On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Ray Saintonge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  > Brad Patrick wrote:
>  >  > And that is relevant how, exactly?
>  >  >
>  >  As a full Board member the treasurer is not limited to voting only on
>  >  budgetary and finance questions.
>  >
>  >  Ec
>  >
>  >
>  > > On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
>  >  > wrote
>  >  >> On 22/04/2008, Florence Devouard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  >  >>
>  >  >>> Dear all,
>  >  >>>
>  >  >>>  On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>  >  >>>  pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>  >  >>>  Board Treasurer.
>  >  >>>
>  >  >> Welcome on board!
>  >  >>
>  >  >> A question for Stuart if he's reading: Florence has described your
>  >  >> professional background (which is the important bit for a treasurer),
>  >  >> but how much experience do you have with the Wikimedia projects, if
>  >  >> any?
>  >
>  >
>  >  _______________________________________________
>  >  foundation-l mailing list
>  >  [hidden email]
>  >  Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>  >
>

> --
>  KIZU Naoko
>  http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)
>  Quote of the Day (English): http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

Re: [Announcement]: Appointment of new Board Treasurer (FAQ #2 and FAQ#3)

Florence Devouard-3
Florence Devouard wrote:

> Florence Devouard wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> On behalf of the Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation, it's my
>> pleasure today to announce the appointment of Stuart West as our new
>> Board Treasurer. Stuart brings a wonderful mix of professional
>> experience and capacity to the Foundation, and will help us in our
>> continuing efforts to improve the Foundation's overall financial
>> accountability and sustainability.
>>
>> A bit of background about our new Board Treasurer:
>>
>> Stuart has over 15 years of financial experience, including senior
>> executive roles at publicly-traded companies including Yahoo! Inc., TiVo
>> Inc., and in investment banking at J.P. Morgan & Co. He also worked with
>> the United States Mission to the United Nations. Stuart's educational
>> background includes a B.A. in History from Yale University, where he
>> focused on 20th century diplomacy, and the Executive Program for Growing
>> Companies at the Stanford Business School.  He is a dual citizen of the
>> United States and the United Kingdom.
>>
>> Stuart is a great believer in the Foundation's mission, and in the time
>> the Board has spent with him so far we have been impressed by his broad
>> awareness of the projects and their impact around the world.  He will be
>> a great addition to the Board, and a tremendous resource for the Foundation.
>>
>> Please join me in welcoming Stuart to our community!
>>
>> Florence Devouard
>> Chair Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 30 seconds.
>
> That was the delay between the posting and the first good question on irc...
>
> Q: "Board Tresurer" is a member of BoT or not?
>
> A: yes, Stu is a member of the board of trustees of WMF.
>
> Ant

Hello

Two more questions I got during the night.

Q:Where is Stu living ?

A: In San Francisco. Which is really cool because it means he has a
knowledge of the local life and habits. And cool because he can easily
meet irl the staff (in particular Veronique) to discuss financial issues.

Q:What is the length of his term ?

A:His official term will end in december 2008 (as Jan-Bart or Jimbo's).
All appointed seats terms are at the end of each year. Appointed seats
can be renewable, and of course, we hope he'll be our treasurer for many
years to come :-)

Ant