[Announcement] Brad Patrick Resigns as General Counsel

[Announcement] Brad Patrick Resigns as General Counsel

Brad Patrick

To the Wikimedia Community:

I am stepping down as General Counsel to the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
effective March 31, 2007.  I tendered my resignation to the Board some
weeks ago, which was accepted.  In the context of Danny Wool's
announcement earlier today that he has resigned, some will speculate the
two are related.  They are not.  The timing is just unfortunate.

Many people who decide to leave the projects do so by invoking the right
to disappear.  That isn't me.  I am very proud of my association with
WMF and will carry the distinction of having been a part of its growth
with me for the rest of my life.  I care deeply about the future of the
Foundation, and am more dedicated in my beliefs about the free culture
movement than ever before.  With respect to my relationship with the
Foundation and those of you whom I have come to know, I hope we are on
good terms.

This community understands implicitly that people of goodwill can (and
do) have strong differences of opinion about important matters.  Should
I choose to comment about these sorts of things at some point in the
future, it will be as a person who cares about the vitality and success
of the Foundation.  I intend any such criticism to be constructive and
based on a well-founded, good faith belief in making the Foundation
stronger.  I certainly wish for nothing but success for the
organization.  To the extent I, (like any person who has had anything to
do with the workings of the Foundation), have opinions about what I
think is good, bad, ugly, etc. about how the Foundation does things,
they are my own.

One of the last things I did before stepping aside as interim ED was
retain the firm of Phillips Oppenheim to conduct the ED search process
for WMF.  I hold them in the highest regard as professionals who are
exclusively in the business of non-profit executive search, and I have a
high degree of confidence that they are the right people to aid the
Foundation in its next steps.  They can make a difference.

It is my earnest hope that everyone who cares about the Foundation, but
has concerns about what is happening at the Foundation now, will say so.
This community is strongest when it is vocal, not silent.  If you have
questions you want answered, be bold, speak up, and ask them.  The Board
members -- the ones who are accountable, since it is they who are
running the Foundation -- deserve the support of the community when they
earn it.  But, since this is real life, {{SOFIXIT}} isn't as simple as
clicking on an article.  It's really hard work that takes a great deal
of time and energy.

So, I'm leaving as of March 31, 2007.  I am not going away or deleting
myself out of wikiexistence.  I'm just not going to be WMF's General
Counsel.

Brad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BradPatrick

Re: [Announcement] Brad Patrick Resigns as General Counsel

jmerkey-3

I have very much enjoyed our interactions. You will be missed.

Jeff

On 22/03/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am stepping down as General Counsel to the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
> effective March 31, 2007.  I tendered my resignation to the Board some
> weeks ago, which was accepted.

Thanks for your fantastic work for Wikimedia and the general infusion
of clue you have given the organisation :-)

- d.

Re: [Announcement] Brad Patrick Resigns as General Counsel

Florence Devouard-3
Brad Patrick wrote:

> To the Wikimedia Community:
>
> I am stepping down as General Counsel to the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
> effective March 31, 2007.  I tendered my resignation to the Board some
> weeks ago, which was accepted.  In the context of Danny Wool's
> announcement earlier today that he has resigned, some will speculate the
> two are related.  They are not.  The timing is just unfortunate.
>
> Many people who decide to leave the projects do so by invoking the right
> to disappear.  That isn't me.  I am very proud of my association with
> WMF and will carry the distinction of having been a part of its growth
> with me for the rest of my life.  I care deeply about the future of the
> Foundation, and am more dedicated in my beliefs about the free culture
> movement than ever before.  With respect to my relationship with the
> Foundation and those of you whom I have come to know, I hope we are on
> good terms.
>
> This community understands implicitly that people of goodwill can (and
> do) have strong differences of opinion about important matters.  Should
> I choose to comment about these sorts of things at some point in the
> future, it will be as a person who cares about the vitality and success
> of the Foundation.  I intend any such criticism to be constructive and
> based on a well-founded, good faith belief in making the Foundation
> stronger.  I certainly wish for nothing but success for the
> organization.  To the extent I, (like any person who has had anything to
> do with the workings of the Foundation), have opinions about what I
> think is good, bad, ugly, etc. about how the Foundation does things,
> they are my own.
>
> One of the last things I did before stepping aside as interim ED was
> retain the firm of Phillips Oppenheim to conduct the ED search process
> for WMF.  I hold them in the highest regard as professionals who are
> exclusively in the business of non-profit executive search, and I have a
> high degree of confidence that they are the right people to aid the
> Foundation in its next steps.  They can make a difference.
>
> It is my earnest hope that everyone who cares about the Foundation, but
> has concerns about what is happening at the Foundation now, will say so.
> This community is strongest when it is vocal, not silent.  If you have
> questions you want answered, be bold, speak up, and ask them.  The Board
> members -- the ones who are accountable, since it is they who are
> running the Foundation -- deserve the support of the community when they
> earn it.  But, since this is real life, {{SOFIXIT}} isn't as simple as
> clicking on an article.  It's really hard work that takes a great deal
> of time and energy.
>
> So, I'm leaving as of March 31, 2007.  I am not going away or deleting
> myself out of wikiexistence.  I'm just not going to be WMF's General
> Counsel.
>
> Brad
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BradPatrick

Thank you for this email Brad.
Let me thank you for the past 12 months and the insights you provided.
I am happy to learn you will not go away and I wish you to stay in the
future an important member of our community (who knows, you might even
consider running for the board as Danny plans to do ;-)).

Wish you my best.

anthere

Re: [Announcement] Brad Patrick Resigns as General Counsel

Daniel Mayer

--- David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/03/07, Brad Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I am stepping down as General Counsel to the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.,
> > effective March 31, 2007.  I tendered my resignation to the Board some
> > weeks ago, which was accepted.
>

> Thanks for your fantastic work for Wikimedia and the general infusion
> of clue you have given the organisation :-)

Indeed. Brad was a very influential force behind many positive changes the foundation underwent in
the last year. In fact, his hard work was pivotal in bringing the foundation from a barely running
and haphazard organization to something that now resembles a professional organization. On top of
that, he is real nice guy and was a true pleasure to work with.

-- Daniel