Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

Terry Chay
Hello everyone,

It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Subramanya Sastry is joining the Wikimedia Foundation as a Senior Features Software Engineer. Initially, Subbu (as he is known by his peers) will work with the Visual Editor team to assist on building a new Parser. Maybe later we can get him interested in other architectural and structural performance engineering. ;-)

Before joining us, Subbu worked with fellow WMFer, Fabrice Florin, as the engineering manager and lead engineer at NewsTrust <http://newstrust.net/>, a nonprofit social news network devoted to good journalism. More recently (and more relevantly), he has been contributing to JRuby <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRuby> to build a next-generation higher performance runtime <http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2012/oss-grant-roundup-jruby-runtime/>. He has his Ph.D. in CS from U. Wisconsin-Madison and his Bachelors from IIT in Kanpur.

Beyond that, he enjoys doing a lot of nonprofit and volunteer work. He’s worked at the Environment Support Group in Bangalore <http://esgindia.org> and with Asha for Education <http://ashanet.org/>, the Friends of River Narmada <http://narmada.org/ , and the India Institute for Critical Action Centre in Movement <http://cacim.net/> which focuses on critical engagement with social movements and their organizational politics.  Most recently, he has been volunteering his time with Center for Earth and Energy Democracy <http://ceed.org>.

Subbu comes highly recommended by his peers, who describe him as an outstanding and versatile engineer, as well as a wonderful team player. More importantly, he is deeply committed to social change — not just to technology for its own sake.

He enjoys growing vegetables, cooking food, live music, movies on big screens, books, armchair philosophising and badminton.

His first official day was May 14th (I rushed the paperwork so Gabriel could get his hands on him :-)), and he will be working remotely from Minneapolis, MN. (He's reading this mailing list as we speak so I haven't had time to scrub all the awful things we said about him. Sorry!)

Please join me in welcoming Subbu to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)

Take care,

Terry

terry chay  최태리
Director of Features Engineering
Wikimedia Foundation
“Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”

p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
m: +1 (408) 480-8902
e: [hidden email]
i: http://terrychay.com/
w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
aim: terrychay

Re: Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

James Forrester-2
On 18 May 2012 00:25, Terry Chay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Subramanya Sastry is joining the
> Wikimedia Foundation as a Senior Features Software Engineer. Initially, Subbu (as
> he is known by his peers) will work with the Visual Editor team to assist on building
> a new Parser. Maybe later we can get him interested in other architectural and
> structural performance engineering. ;-)

Welcome, Subbu! Looking forward to working with you.

James
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email] | [hidden email]

Re: [Wmfall] Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

Roan Kattouw-2
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Terry Chay <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> It’s with great pleasure that I’m announcing that Subramanya Sastry is
> joining the Wikimedia Foundation as a Senior Features Software Engineer.
Our second new team member of the day, yay!

Welcome Subbu and James, looking forward to working with both of you.

Roan

Re: Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

Fabrice Florin-2
Congratulations, Subbu!

I am so glad that you are joining the engineering team at Wikimedia.

It will be a true pleasure to work with you again, and I am confident that you can make a big difference in improving our tools and features, so that more people can participate effectively on Wikipedia.

Everyone: I worked with Subbu for four years at NewsTrust.net, and can't say enough good things about  him. He is a top-notch, one-of-a-kind developer and a really nice guy. He built a wide range of web services for our innovative social news network, where he was responsible for all our feature development and technical operations. We created some very cool services together and enjoyed an exceptional working relationship.

We are very lucky to have Subbu on our team, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with in his new role.

All the best,

Fabrice

__________________________________

Fabrice Florin
Product Manager,
Editor Engagement
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6827 work
[hidden email]

On May 17, 2012, at 4:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>
> Please join me in welcoming Subbu to the Wikimedia Foundation. :-)
>
> Take care,
>

> Terry
>
> terry chay  최태리
> Director of Features Engineering
> Wikimedia Foundation
> “Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.”
>
> p: +1 (415) 839-6885 x6832
> m: +1 (408) 480-8902
> e: [hidden email]
> i: http://terrychay.com/
> w: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tychay
> aim: terrychay

Re: [Wmfall] Announcement: Subramanya Sastry joins Wikimedia as Senior Features Software Engineer

Subramanya Sastry

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I am excited as well to be part
of the VE and the larger WMF team.  I hope I can deliver the goods! :)

Have a great weekend,
Subbu.